Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Renting an apartment in NYC - contract question

Renting an apartment in NYC - contract question

Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by monitor
I believe that it is against the L&T laws in NY to collect more than one month's security deposit and the taking of a year's rent in advance can be construed to constitute the taking of such. Therefore the landlord who does so can very well be deemed to be in violation.
Your belief does not conform to the laws of the State of New York.

As a caveat, if the landlord is operating a one to four family rental apartment business, all bets are off and many of the laws pertaining to him are different.
It appears that you are confusing the concept of "multiple dwelling" with the issues in this thread.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I believe that it is against the L&T laws in NY to collect more than one (or maybe two) month's security deposit and the taking of a year's rent in advance can be construed to constitute the taking of such. Therefore the landlord who does so can very well be deemed to be in violation.
. . .
My recollection is that only rent stabilized apartments have limitations regarding the amount of a security deposit.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear

While it is true that the market is down, nonetheless this says nothing about the policy of these particular owners toward nonresident aliens.
The policy of landlords has become exceedingly flexible as of late - the market being flooded by rental apartments.

Pretty much - if you can afford it they'll take you.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
i heard a bizarre (to me) story that a fund of funds manager told me. he said that they were considering investing with a certain hedge fund and while doing their research learned that the HF manager broke his lease at one point. They didn't invest based on the logic that someone who voluntarily break a contract can't be trusted with clients' money. i personally think that's taking things waaay to far, but here you have it.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lerasp
i heard a bizarre (to me) story that a fund of funds manager told me. he said that they were considering investing with a certain hedge fund and while doing their research learned that the HF manager broke his lease at one point. They didn't invest based on the logic that someone who voluntarily break a contract can't be trusted with clients' money. i personally think that's taking things waaay to far, but here you have it.
They are operating on the principle that "once a deadbeat always a deadbeat." In this case, it may have been a scosh too judgmental but I think that somebody who thinks that is "taking things waaay to [sic] far" needs a bit more experience in business.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by lerasp
They are operating on the principle that "once a deadbeat always a deadbeat." In this case, it may have been a scosh too judgmental but I think that somebody who thinks that is "taking things waaay to [sic] far" needs a bit more experience in business.
I think you may be judging this story without the benefit of context. It may very well be that the investors recognize that any one can have a blemish on his record, but given the choice of investing with someone with an unblemished record and with someone with a blemished record, most would opt for the former over the latter absent some overriding factor (e.g., a dramatically better investment history). At least in today's market, investors hold the cards and generally have the flexibility to choose with whom they invest, whereas not too long ago hedge fund managers (at least many of the more reputable ones) were turning away investors. So it may very well be that they don't consider this guy to be "a deadbeat," but that they have too many alternatives to even take the time to worry about whether this guys is a deadbeat or not.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:20 am

If you break a lease and your landlord files a claim with a court, it'll probably show up in one of those background checks, and could absolutely come back to haunt you. For example, many hedge fund and private equity firms (and presumably other investors) do extensive background checks on the people involved in any business they plan to invest in. And coop boards often do background checks on potential buyers.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

themicah knows from where he is talking. We've been on coop boards for may years and you can be assured that that hedge fund manager who took a walk on an apartment lease would have serious trouble buying a coop apartment in NY.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
If you break a lease and your landlord files a claim with a court, it'll probably show up in one of those background checks, and could absolutely come back to haunt you. For example, many hedge fund and private equity firms (and presumably other investors) do extensive background checks on the people involved in any business they plan to invest in. And coop boards often do background checks on potential buyers.
themicah knows from where he is talking. We've been on coop boards for may years and you can be assured that that hedge fund manager who took a walk on an apartment lease would have serious trouble buying a coop apartment in NY.
Both of these messages have the unstated premise that someone breached a lease, say for example by nonpayment of rent, the landlord filed suit, and, most importantly, a judgment was rendered in favor of the landlord.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
there's the letter of the law and then there's what happens in the real world.

fwiw, I base my comments on decades of experience here in Manhattan as both a tenant (rent regulated & free market) as well as Landlord (of a coop/ free-market sublet)

If the OP rents a reasonably desirable apt and needs to break the lease - at THAT point he/she can:
  • Notify the Landlord and attempt to negotiate a mutually agreeable out or
  • Break the lease

Sure, the landlord CAN sue but again assuming the apt is reasonably desirable then odds are the landlord won't bother with a court action. LT court in NYC can be an arduous ordeal and generally favors the tenant.

Even when the tenant blatantly breaches, the LL must show damages. Despite the current market woes, a reasonably desirable apt will not sit empty for long.

Hell, when I needed to break my (free market) lease, the Management Co/Landlord jerked me around but in the end settled on keeping my security deposit and then turned around the next month and rented my apt for 40% more than I was paying.

While I can certainly appreciate the desire to be upfront about a potential early exit situation, IMHO, it's just not worth it. At best it will give rise to possible guarantee or escrow requirements and at worst could lose you the rental of your choice.

Life happens, leases get broken every day and when and IF that happens, you can deal with the situation as you see fit at THAT time.

Good Luck and if you'd like the names/numbers of a few tenant side attorneys here in NYC, just shoot me a PM

Last edited by bk3day; Mar 18, 2009 at 5:59 pm
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Funny you should mention background checks of hedge fund managers. That's actually my line of work, as an Investigative Counsel.

While any uncovered breach of contract would always raise a flag, I'd give odds that unless the amount in question was large enough to meet the filing threshold required by NY Supreme Court, I doubt it would really be an issue or for a number of reasons, possibly never even come to light.

YMMV
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bk3day
...Sure, the landlord CAN sue but again assuming the apt is reasonably desirable then odds are the landlord won't bother with a court action. LT court in NYC can be an arduous ordeal and generally favors the tenant....
All very true but in the case mentioned above by lerasp, it appears not unlikely that some landlord thought that it was a sufficiently significant financial breach to cause him to launch an L&T action that got that Tenant's name onto the credit bureau files.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:46 pm

All very true but in the case mentioned above by lerasp, it appears not unlikely that some landlord thought that it was a sufficiently significant financial breach to cause him to launch an L&T action that got that Tenant's name onto the credit bureau files.
No doubt the courts are quite busy, and either party can choose to be stubborn but if keeping your credit history clean is a priority, then any person finding themselves on the wrong end of a suit can always attempt to settle thereby avoiding an entry of judgment.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No doubt the courts are quite busy, and either party can choose to be stubborn but if keeping your credit history clean is a priority, then any person finding themselves on the wrong end of a suit can always attempt to settle thereby avoiding an entry of judgment.
If keeping the record clear was not a priority for a hedge fund manager, I certainly fail to follow his reasoning.

Not unlikely that it was, as in many of these cases, a default judgment for no show by defendant who was long out of town when the case came up and had forgotten about it.

Most tenants in NY know, or should know, how easy it is to show up and invent some story that a NYC L&T Court Judge will take at face value delaying any eviction judgment for months, if not years.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:55 pm

there's the letter of the law and then there's what happens in the real world.
You don't say. Where is this "real world," MTV?

fwiw, I base my comments on decades of experience here in Manhattan as both a tenant (rent regulated & free market) as well as Landlord (of a coop/ free-market sublet)
Since we're giving resume data, I base my comments on more than 25 years of practicing real estate law and litigation here in New York City.

LT court in NYC can be an arduous ordeal and generally favors the tenant.
Generally is not always. The appellate courts have been very busy the past few years re-setting the wrongs of the Housing judges. A look at the weekly Real Estate Law column in the New York Law Journal would bear this out.

Even when the tenant blatantly breaches, the LL must show damages.
D'oh! No kidding. But there's no more fun in court than proving damages when the other side has defaulted.

Despite the current market woes, a reasonably desirable apt will not sit empty for long.
One of my broker friends would love to know from where you got this idea; she's got plenty of open listings as does everyone else in her office. In any case, if the new rent is lower than the old rent (quite possible in today's market), that may increase damages.

Life happens, leases get broken every day and when and IF that happens, you can deal with the situation as you see fit at THAT time.
I consider this one of the worst pieces of advice ever posted on this forum.

Actually, you will likely deal with the situation as the landlord sees fit since it will determine where you get sued and for how much. Further, if the landlord is a large corporation with retained or in-house counsel, it may decide to keep pursuing litigation which all the while it is costing the former tenant hourly fees.

Funny you should mention background checks of hedge fund managers. That's actually my line of work, as an Investigative Counsel.
What's an "investigative counsel," please? Specifically, are you admitted to practice before the Courts of New York State?

While any uncovered breach of contract would always raise a flag, I'd give odds that unless the amount in question was large enough to meet the filing threshold required by NY Supreme Court, I doubt it would really be an issue or for a number of reasons, possibly never even come to light.
You will excuse me for asking what in blazes are you talking about?

Ninety per cent of residential landlord tenant cases originate in Civil Court where the minimum amount of damages required to be claimed is one cent. If you breach your lease and get sued for nonpayment of rent and/or other damages, and lose, a judgment gets taken against you. Whether this judgment is from Civil or Supreme Court makes little difference.

Most tenants in NY know, or should know, how easy it is to show up and invent some story that a NYC L&T Court Judge will take at face value delaying any eviction judgment for months, if not years.
And of course, the landlord is represented by an idiot who will never challenge any nonsense the tenant says. Yeah, right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.