Holiday tipping for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday tipping for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! With a doorman, garage attendant, trainer, hairdresser, mailman, dog walker and housekeeper to tip, life gets expensive and complicated fast.

I give the maintenance guy 50 bucks. I'm still here...
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:14 pm

I took $1500 out of checking today in $100s and $50s strictly for tips. We'll see how far that takes me.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by erik123
It also means you didn't have to tip people at the building you came from for the 3/4 year of service - so it all evens out.
Now that's a great point.

nerd, you mentioned you garage your car. I'm just curious; do you drive your car often or do you turn on your engine every so often to make sure the car still runs? Very soon we will have to garage our car and I'm wondering how often we'll drive it. Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
nerd, you mentioned you garage your car. I'm just curious; do you drive your car often or do you turn on your engine every so often to make sure the car still runs? Very soon we will have to garage our car and I'm wondering how often we'll drive it. Thanks.
Actually, I don't. Sorry for the misunderstanding - I was making an observation on others' experiences or comments.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Very soon we will have to garage our car and I'm wondering how often we'll drive it. Thanks.
Just curious about why one would go from not needing a garage to needing one. Are you moving within the city and losing abundant street parking?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Just curious about why one would go from not needing a garage to needing one. Are you moving within the city and losing abundant street parking?
No. I am looking for a full-time position and as such, once I have it, we will probably garage the car.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Now that's a great point.

I think a lot will depend on the age and condition of the battery.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 6:37 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
According to the recently-circulated staff list our building went from seven to eight employees this year :-(. I don't tip the part-time "porter" as much as the super, but it still adds up. Then of course there are the folks outside my building...

What always irritates me is the card I receive early December from the guy who slaps an address label onto my newspaper and dumps a bundle of papers off at my building. It's the morning "concierge" (or perhaps the overnight guy) who actually brings the Times to my door. Why am I expected to tip the driver, to whom I am completely anonymous and vice versa? (for the record, I don't)
Old Dec 12, 2008, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
What always irritates me is the card I receive early December from the guy who slaps an address label onto my newspaper and dumps a bundle of papers off at my building. It's the morning "concierge" (or perhaps the overnight guy) who actually brings the Times to my door. Why am I expected to tip the driver, to whom I am completely anonymous and vice versa? (for the record, I don't)
You're not "expected to." You can tip the guy or not. You chose not to. Fine. (I think it's nice that others choose to tip the guy. This year I may well have chosen not to tip him, but in more flush years I very well might have.) But why be irritated?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:23 am
Original Poster

What would be considered a reasonable tip for an in-building garage attendants?

As the garage is in my building a tend not to tip during the year (that would feel to me like tipping my doormen every time I enter the building).
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by erik123
What would be considered a reasonable tip for an in-building garage attendants?
There's no science to my number, but I'm thinking $50/head. I'm thinking of giving $100 to my building's resident manager and $50 to each of the doormen/porters/maintenance staff. Works out to about $600 total. What do people think?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
According to the recently-circulated staff list our building went from seven to eight employees this year :-(. I don't tip the part-time "porter" as much as the super, but it still adds up. Then of course there are the folks outside my building...
Yup....

If the front man/concierge/whatever-he-is-called delivers your paper to you, I'd give him the tip you'd give the newspaper driver. My two cents....
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Yup....

If the front man/concierge/whatever-he-is-called delivers your paper to you, I'd give him the tip you'd give the newspaper driver. My two cents....
Yes, that seems absolutely appropriate.

I get irritated at a greedy hand reaching for my pocket just because it's the season. There is no personal service/personal relationship involved; what's the tip for? A paper boy or "boy" who actually covers territory in all kinds of weather, dodging dogs, to drop the paper at the door is entirely different.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:32 pm

deleted

Last edited by blort; Jan 3, 2009 at 10:50 pm
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
There's no science to my number, but I'm thinking $50/head. I'm thinking of giving $100 to my building's resident manager and $50 to each of the doormen/porters/maintenance staff. Works out to about $600 total. What do people think?
I think that's definitely on the low end for the doormen.

I went with $150 each for resident manager, the head of maintenance and two of the doormen; $125 for the porter/doorman combo guy; $120 for the other two doormen; and $100 for the other two porters. Nothing for the paper delivery guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.