Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

How to get from McArthur to City

Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver

Flying into Long Island and need to get to city. What is best mode of transportation.

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
McArthur? I'm not sure I've heard anyone call it that. Islip.

Anyhoo...I'm certainly not the expert on LI here, but right from the ISP website:

There is shuttle service from MacArthur Airport to the nearby Ronkonkoma train station:
Colonial Transportation of Long Island offers convenient shuttle service between MacArthur Airport and the Ronkonkoma train station (LIRR). The shuttle van departs the train station daily at 5:30am, then departs the airport on the hour and half-hour from 6:00am until 10:30pm. Curbside pick up at the airport is directly in front of baggage claim. The shuttle will pick up and drop off at the North Platform of the Ronkonkoma train station. The one-way fare is $5.00 per person. Cash and credit cards are accepted. All rates are subject to change without notice.The Suffolk County Bus Transit also offers hourly service to and from MacArthur Airport to the train station with the S-57 Bus except Sundays and(No service, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day or Christmas). The fare is $1.50.The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) offers frequent service to Penn Station in Manhattan from the Ronkonkoma train station The train ride is approximately one hour and 25 minutes.The train fare currently $9.75 (non-rush hour times) into the city will take you to Penn station which is located in Manhattan at 33rd street and 7th Avenue. From there you can get to your ultimate destination by subway or by taxi.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The train schedules and current fares by the way are over at www.mta.info so you know when the trains come
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:10 am

See:
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Town car would do the trick. Might be the easiest way.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
McArthur? I'm not sure I've heard anyone call it that. Islip.
Locals, like me, call it MacArthur. It's not that odd.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Islip Long Island McArthur Airport is the full name of the airport ISP. Some say Islip and others say McArthur. I say both.

If you want to get to NYC from ISP take a taxi to the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) station in Ronkonkoma. It will be about $5, and takes less than 5 minutes without traffic. Than take the LIRR to NYC.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
Islip Long Island McArthur Airport is the full name of the airport ISP. Some say Islip and others say McArthur. I say both.

If you want to get to NYC from ISP take a taxi to the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) station in Ronkonkoma. It will be about $5, and takes less than 5 minutes without traffic. Than take the LIRR to NYC.

It used to be $5, now it's usually $8. But use the courtesy phone to call for a cab; if you take one that's been waiting there, it's more.
The Colonial shuttle service, by the way, has been hopelessly unreliable in the past. I have no recent experience with it, as I gave up on it a few years ago.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:05 pm

Any idea as to how much a town car would be?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This page has sample prices

http://macarthurairport.com/pages/12...ortation.shtml

The one price they have to Manhattan is $100
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:40 pm

RFrost, Thanks for the update on the price change. I have not flown out of ISP in about a year. Since Delta left ISP I have been forced to go to JFK or LGA. I wish Delta would return.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
According to the FAA, the official name is Long Island Mac Arthur Airport. The name was changed several years ago to reflect the fact that the airport is the regional airport of Long Island, not just Islip (even though Town of Islip manages the airport). That being said, when I fly into or out of ISP, ATC approach control usually says "Islip Airport". The folks in the tower refer to themselves as Long Island xxx (clearance, ground, tower). I usually refer to ISP as Islip.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:56 pm

Yes, I know that Islip is the name the FAA and the tower use. I was only stating that people around ISP use both names during normal conversations.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:43 pm

Since Delta left ISP I have been forced to go to JFK or LGA. I wish Delta would return.
+1 ^

I flew out of there last week on Southwest and it was such a breeze...no parking hassles, TSA employees were actually nice and efficient (a first!) and I was home in 15 mins upon my return. I miss Delta for sure, especially now that I am commuting to Chicago on a regular basis.

(My flight out was delayed by 2 hrs and I actually thought about going home in between!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.