Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Best New York City Pizza?

Best New York City Pizza?

Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
This may be biased but my favorite Pizza is Koronet's on 111th street and Broadway.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
That's not the place I was told he just reviewed. I guess we'll know tomorrow night.
And here it is:

Motorino

By SAM SIFTON
Published: February 17, 2010

Motorino is having a moment. That seems fair. It serves the city’s best pizza.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
And here it is:

Motorino

By SAM SIFTON
Published: February 17, 2010
Yes, you called it! ^

You might be very pleased with Motorino.
I'll have to check it out today.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes, you called it! ^

I'll have to check it out today.
I'm sure you'll like it. I've been going there since a bit after the opening. Last weekend, the owner told me to look for the review.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My favorite is Ray Bari on 56th and 3rd Avenue. I will be in New York at the end of the month and you'd better believe it'll be one of my first stops.

http://www.raybaripizza.com/
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
My favorite is Ray Bari on 56th and 3rd Avenue. I will be in New York at the end of the month and you'd better believe it'll be one of my first stops.

That place is the Olive Garden of pizza parlors.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by CMK10
My favorite is Ray Bari on 56th and 3rd Avenue.

Chuckle.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
In my H.S. days, about 25 years ago, I liked Ray Bari, though my favorite was the Famous Rays on sixth avenue in the Village. So when I think of NYC pizza, that's the style that makes my mouth water. Sold by the slice; thin crust, but not too thin; slightly crunchy crust; lots of cheese; and a coal-fired oven.

So many of the places making best-of lists nowadays seem to be a different style: very thin, soft crust; just a patchy scattering of mozzarella; cooked in a wood oven; and sold by the pie. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not what makes me homesick.

So what are the top choices these days for the 70's-80's style of pizza that I remember?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by swag
In my H.S. days, about 25 years ago, I liked Ray Bari, though my favorite was the Famous Rays on sixth avenue in the Village. So when I think of NYC pizza, that's the style that makes my mouth water. Sold by the slice; thin crust, but not too thin; slightly crunchy crust; lots of cheese; and a coal-fired oven.

So many of the places making best-of lists nowadays seem to be a different style: very thin, soft crust; just a patchy scattering of mozzarella; cooked in a wood oven; and sold by the pie. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not what makes me homesick.

So what are the top choices these days for the 70's-80's style of pizza that I remember?
See Post #5. Here's a link to reviews of New York Pizza Suprema, as collected on the pizzeria's website:

http://www.nypizzasuprema.com/press.html

Pizza Suprema certainly has one of the best Neapolitan slices in the city. For one of the best (and probably most expensive) Sicilian slices, try DiFara's, in Brooklyn.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, VS, BA
Joe's Pizza in the village is really good...I'm also to partial to the Abitino's Pizzeria's in Midtown.

The best in the 5Boro category...
L&B SPUMONI GARDENS in Brooklyn!!!
Honorable mention to the aforementioned DINO's in Astoria.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: MR:LIFE-PLAT, AA ExecPLAT, AmEx GldPrmr+PLAT
Best pizza is "Delizia" at 73rd and 1st on the upper east side. ^

Agree with all posts about Ray Bari...
(Unless you like it quick and dirty)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:19 am

. I agree. But, we cater to everyone here. Chacun à son goût, no?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
. I agree. But, we cater to everyone here. Chacun à son goût, no?
Absollument pas.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
For one of the best (and probably most expensive) Sicilian slices, try DiFara's, in Brooklyn.
I'm sure Typhoid Mary was a good cook.

I feel that no matter how good the pizza at DiFara's might be, it is imperative to read their health inspection reports. The latest one gives them a big 36 points, "The violation point total is above the average violation point total of 14, for all NYC restaurants on their most recent inspection."

Further, "A score of 27 or less is needed for a restaurant to pass the inspection" which means yet another failure for DiFara.

In the past three years of inspection reports prior to this one posted by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, out of ten reports, DiFara's blew the 14 point average six times, which includes surpassing the 27 point (meaning a failure) mark three times with whopping 51, 76, and 77 grades.

DiFara's has been shut down at least twice by the Health Department, according to the New York Times article, A Beloved Brooklyn Pizzeria Is Closed, Again, by the Health Dept.

This is not the first time that Di Fara Pizza was closed by the health department. Its doors were shut on March 15 after inspectors found numerous violations, including rodents. It failed two more inspections before being allowed to reopen on April 2.
I know that there are quite likely plenty of customers who disagree with me and who would wait in line for two hours to eat at DiFara's even if the Health Department posted a notice that guaranteed getting sick from the meal. For some reason, this establishment has extremely loyal customers and incredible hype.

Here were a few facts. You can find more by researching on Google, etc. Make up your own mind about whether or not you want to eat there.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since I haven't seen it mentioned, I don't know if anyone here has tried La Pizza Fresca in the Flatiron District. I love it even though it is somewhat expensive. It's not your typical NYC pizzeria, and serves Neapolitan pizzas with a variety of delicious toppings. Unfortunately you can't just go in and buy a slice. The wine selection is also terrific.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.