FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   NJ transit tickets - how long are they good for? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/840188-nj-transit-tickets-how-long-they-good.html)

bitburgr Jun 30, 2008 5:48 pm

NJ transit tickets - how long are they good for?

Despite an exhaustive search on NJ Transit's website (exhaustive being relative) and a half-hearted search here, I can't figure out how long an unused NJ Transit ticket is good for after purchase. I bought a couple (for times when I might have to run to catch the train) under the assumption that they'd be good for 6 months (like on Septa). I don't see anything on the ticket, either.

Thanks.

cordelli Jun 30, 2008 7:01 pm

This page

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...nFareOptionsTo

Says they are valid until used. Light rail is different, some of them expire.

On Metro North it's a bit trickier, each type of ticket (ten trip, one way, etc) has a different expiration date, but they print that on the thicket.

sbm12 Jul 1, 2008 8:02 am

During the last round of fare hikes NJT Rail tickets switched from 90-day exipration to valid until used. So if it is a single-ride regular train ticket it is valid forever, or at least until they change the rule again.

Seat13c Jul 1, 2008 8:10 am

I've used tickets as old as a year w/o issue. The only thing you need to watch out for is tickets issued prior to fare hikes. Some conductors might give a problem.

themicah Jul 1, 2008 10:59 am

I think the tickets say on them that they're good for a year (I think LIRR and MNR tickets say 90 days). Could be wrong about that, though...

Regardless, I've used NJTransit tickets that were at least 2-3 years old without a problem--even after fare hikes.

Seat13c Jul 1, 2008 11:58 am

Originally Posted by themicah (Post 9966278)
I think the tickets say on them that they're good for a year (I think LIRR and MNR tickets say 90 days). Could be wrong about that, though...

Regardless, I've used NJTransit tickets that were at least 2-3 years old without a problem--even after fare hikes.

By the book, it's one year but like both of us have experienced, no problem using old unused tickets.

BTW, has any one used the new TVMs besides myself? They have them installed in the Ramsey Main Street station. I used it last night for the first time and think they are a big improvement over the old machines.

troyb Jul 1, 2008 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13c (Post 9966628)
By the book, it's one year but like both of us have experienced, no problem using old unused tickets.

BTW, has any one used the new TVMs besides myself? They have them installed in the Ramsey Main Street station. I used it last night for the first time and think they are a big improvement over the old machines.

Haven't seen them yet, what is the difference from the old machines?

themicah Jul 1, 2008 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13c (Post 9966628)

Not yet, but it would be wonderful if they were faster than the old machines. A few years ago they upgraded the printers in the old machines and that sped them up a bit. But they're still terribly slow, particularly when paying by credit card. I don't understand why NJT can't get the same kinds of machines the MTA uses for the subway, LIRR and MNR (all of which authorize credit cards almost instantly, greatly speeding ticket machine lines).

Seat13c Jul 1, 2008 1:50 pm

The new machines have touch screens and you can do a ticket in as little as two (maybe its three) prompts as opposed to a half dozen on the old machines. It makes the process go a lot quicker. I'm just suprised that Ramsey Main Street got them before Ramsey Rt 17, a busier station, did. I'm wondering if Ramsey Main Street might be just a test location.

I don't know if NY Penn has them yet or not. I haven't checked. I'm usually buying my tickets in NJ for the trip in and out.

dkelly1110 Jul 1, 2008 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13c (Post 9967249)
The new machines have touch screens and you can do a ticket in as little as two (maybe its three) prompts as opposed to a half dozen on the old machines. It makes the process go a lot quicker. I'm just suprised that Ramsey Main Street got them before Ramsey Rt 17, a busier station, did. I'm wondering if Ramsey Main Street might be just a test location.

I don't know if NY Penn has them yet or not. I haven't checked. I'm usually buying my tickets in NJ for the trip in and out.

I bought a ticket at NYP yesterday -- still the same old machines. Barely made that train, here's hoping for faster machines sometime soon.

sbm12 Jul 1, 2008 7:32 pm

They have the new machines at EWR. Quite nice indeed. ^

bitburgr Jul 2, 2008 11:51 am

Thanks all. I'll assume 'good until used' or a price increase...whichever comes first.

ecq Jul 14, 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dkelly1110 (Post 9967879)
I bought a ticket at NYP yesterday -- still the same old machines. Barely made that train, here's hoping for faster machines sometime soon.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 9968912)
They have the new machines at EWR. Quite nice indeed. ^

yes ewr has new machines. though they're still a bit slow. when you pay with your credit card, it takes forever to authorize the charge.

i think it just looks nice. give it a year and it'll look at crappy as the older ones do.