Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Need decent Manhattan hotel <$200 with ensuite bathroom.

Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:00 am
Original Poster

I am having a hard time finding a decent hotel in Manhattan for <$200 for one night, October 18. I believe because it is Saturday night in the fall, the rates are high. ($300-400+, Even LaQuinta is >$300!). I don't want to share a bathroom nor stay in Jersey. Decently located, safe, nicer accomodations are a definite plus.

I am willing to accept alternatives like apt-hotels, etc. As long it is decently located. (not Bronx, etc).

I am not good with the search function. Thank you for your help.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Your best option might be Priceline, if you're comfortable bidding (and paying a non-refundable) price for a hotel whose name will be revealed only if your bid succeeds. For me, the trick is to bid for hotels at least one star category higher than what you usually stay in. So if you're normally comfortable staying only in 3* hotels, don't bid for anything less than a 4*. (That way, even if the hotel isn't exactly what you want, it's likely a lot nicer than what you usually stay in.) I wouldn't bid for anything less than a 4*.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
Your best option might be Priceline, if you're comfortable bidding (and paying a non-refundable) price for a hotel whose name will be revealed only if your bid succeeds. For me, the trick is to bid for hotels at least one star category higher than what you usually stay in. So if you're normally comfortable staying only in 3* hotels, don't bid for anything less than a 4*. (That way, even if the hotel isn't exactly what you want, it's likely a lot nicer than what you usually stay in.) I wouldn't bid for anything less than a 4*.
Thank you Kate_Canuck. I went up to $205 for 4* all Manhattan zones and nothing. Thank you for your suggestions. Maybe Priceline will open up more inventory as Oct 18 approaches. I read on www.biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com that some 3* can be spotty.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by CathyJune
Thank you Kate_Canuck. I went up to $205 for 4* all Manhattan zones and nothing. Thank you for your suggestions. Maybe Priceline will open up more inventory as Oct 18 approaches. I read on www.biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com that some 3* can be spotty.
October is prime time for Manhattan. Hot summer weather is gone but not yet cold. Can you consider Brooklyn, Queens, or New Jersey (Jersey City, Hoboken areas). You will get loads of responses from FT on best choices for mass transit back into Manhattan.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I think if you're only spending $200 for a Saturday night in October, you have three basic choices:

1. A pretty dodgy hostel or low-end hotel in Manhattan. Given your wants, about the best deal that comes up on Hotels.com is $199 for the Hotel Alexander on W 94th, and that is really basic (1.5* rating).

2. A slightly less dodgy hotel out by JFK or LGA (say, a Ramada or Comfort Inn), and take the train into Manhattan.

3. A pretty nice place in New Jersey, and take the bus or train in. The Hilton Newark, for example, can be had for much less than $200, and it's steps away from the train into midtown, which only takes a few minutes.

PS. Kate Canuck is right: if using Priceline, don't bid less than 4*. I would not be optimistic about seeing more PL inventory closer to October unless the economy really, totally collapsed in the next 60 days.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
CathyJune,

Check out the Marriott, Starwood, and Hilton boards. Every so often you'll read a special, offering $199 (give or take) hotel rooms.

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Why pay if you can stay for free. If you dont have a AMEX SPG or Hilton CC apply via the promos for the 25k or 50k in pts. That should be enough for a free night at most SPG or HH hotels in Manny. then again most of them are at best a 2 1/2 *

Most Marriotts in Manny are over a Cat4 and a MR CC gets you only a Cat 1-4 when you get their CC. But plenty of Hotels in NJ a Path Train away that should be Cat4 or less. A couple of Fairfields by LGA are Cat 3.

before applying for any CC make sure you find Free stays available when you want it
Old Jul 11, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by craz
Why pay if you can stay for free. If you dont have a AMEX SPG or Hilton CC apply via the promos for the 25k or 50k in pts. That should be enough for a free night at most SPG or HH hotels in Manny. then again most of them are at best a 2 1/2 *

Most Marriotts in Manny are over a Cat4 and a MR CC gets you only a Cat 1-4 when you get their CC. But plenty of Hotels in NJ a Path Train away that should be Cat4 or less. A couple of Fairfields by LGA are Cat 3.

before applying for any CC make sure you find Free stays available when you want it
"Manny" ???? That is a new one.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 3:36 pm

I'd keep trying priceline and see what comes up. If you're bidding 4*, keep in mind that you can leverage the 3*-max zones to do a lot of free rebidding. Also check travelzoo now and then, although I doubt if anything <$200 will come up for October.

Meanwhile, the Crowne Plaza at LGA has a free shuttle to the subway and I see fully cancellable rates on October 18 of $152. It's certainly not ideal, but might make sense to book now as a backup in case you can't find anything in Manhattan that meets your budget.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nytango
"Manny" ???? That is a new one.
Yep thats what Us True NYers call it, or at least those of Us who at 1 time or another drove a Yellow or Radio Car.

The 3 East River Bridges were called The BB (Brooklyn B), The Willy B (Willamsburg B) and the Manny B by many
Old Jul 11, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
I am having a hard time finding a decent hotel in Manhattan for <$200 for one night, October 18. I believe because it is Saturday night in the fall, the rates are high. ($300-400+, Even LaQuinta is >$300!). I don't want to share a bathroom nor stay in Jersey. Decently located, safe, nicer accomodations are a definite plus.

I am willing to accept alternatives like apt-hotels, etc. As long it is decently located. (not Bronx, etc).

I am not good with the search function. Thank you for your help.
Try the Hotel Edison http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/ will not be under $200 BUT SHOULD BE CLOSE. Books up very quickly.

Sam
Old Jul 11, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by craz
Yep thats what Us True NYers call it, or at least those of Us who at 1 time or another drove a Yellow or Radio Car.

The 3 East River Bridges were called The BB (Brooklyn B), The Willy B (Willamsburg B) and the Manny B by many
sorry I think I am a true ny'r having been born here a very long time ago. No one from manhattan ever called it manny and it has been a very long time since a true ny'er drove a cab here.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by nytango
sorry I think I am a true ny'r having been born here a very long time ago. No one from manhattan ever called it manny and it has been a very long time since a true ny'er drove a cab here.
I'm old too. I agree with nytango.

As for the statement it has been a very long time since a true ny'er drove a cab here. I can't remember the last time I got in to a cab and was able to figure out if the letters on top were the first or last name. Maybe a discsuuion for Omni.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I was born in Manhattan and I live in Brooklyn.

The notion that Manhattan is nicknamed "Manny" is simply ludicrous.

Oh, and in reference to the orginal justification for this nonsense, it should be remembered that many of us took "black cabs" beginning when the concept started and did not hear this on their radios which were invariably too loud.

To the alleged former driver for hire:

What was the difference between:
  • Reco
  • High Reco; and
  • Very High Reco?

Let me know after you find some obscure web site or blog with the answer. I'll be here in "Brooky."

Last edited by Landing Gear; Jul 12, 2008 at 1:11 pm Reason: typo corrected
Old Jul 12, 2008, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Keep trying, and you should have some luck eventually. Before I lived here, I wanted to find a hotel for Dec 27-30. I struck out on Priceline for about 2 weeks but kept trying and eventually got the Westin Times Square for about $190. I hated the location, but loved the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.