Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

EWR to midtown (48 & lex) cab or car service...big price difference?

Old Jun 15, 08, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.

for some reason, i recall that coming from newark it's often a better deal--or at least a wash--to take a car service rather than catching a cab. is my memory playing tricks on me?

also, if i do cab it, anyone know about what it'll cost? the wiki claims that its prices aren't correct as of march '07.

thanks!
Old Jun 15, 08, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Depending on the time of day, you might get there faster with the bus thanks to the bus lanes during the morning commute. A couple of years ago I think it was about 40-45 for the trip but NY'ers will have better info on that one. I do recall hearing something similar about the car service.
Old Jun 15, 08, 6:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's probably like $50 to $60 before all the surcharges start (it totally depends on how traffic is moving). Plus tip and tolls. There are surcharges for luggage, for the East side of Mahnattan, for rush hour, etc.

Which company depends on which terminal you are coming in at, B and C are not served by the same as A.

Depending on where you are going, airtrain may be a better choice timewise.
Old Jun 15, 08, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
It's probably like $50 to $60 before all the surcharges start (it totally depends on how traffic is moving). Plus tip and tolls. There are surcharges for luggage, for the East side of Mahnattan, for rush hour, etc.

Which company depends on which terminal you are coming in at, B and C are not served by the same as A.

Depending on where you are going, airtrain may be a better choice timewise.
... which is why, if possible, flying into LGA would be a better choice.
Old Jun 16, 08, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

yeah, i know about the flying into LGA...and i am going to the east side (well, 48th and lex) but from AVL, where i am this month, the cheapest and easiest way to manhattan was into EWR via co. i arrive around 2p, so hopefully that won't be too awful.

still think i might end up with a car service, but i'm off to research the airtrain. don't think i ever took it when i lived there.

thanks for the help, guys. if you have more to add, by all means chime in.
Old Jun 16, 08, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Just flew into EWR this morning (I fly to NYC weekly and it has always been to LGA until today). Dial-7 Limo was $48 + Toll + Tip. Works out to about $60. Landed at 10:15a, by 10:30a in the car, go to Midtown (Madison & 45th) by 11:10a.

Only problem with the Air Train is it goes into Penn Station, and from there you have to either take a cab or the connector to GCT, and even from GCT you would have to walk 3 blocks.

Not sure how much a can from EWR is.
Old Jun 16, 08, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
yeah, i know about the flying into LGA...and i am going to the east side (well, 48th and lex) but from AVL, where i am this month, the cheapest and easiest way to manhattan was into EWR via co. i arrive around 2p, so hopefully that won't be too awful.

still think i might end up with a car service, but i'm off to research the airtrain. don't think i ever took it when i lived there.
If you're not carrying too many things, the airtrain to EWR train station, to NJTransit to Penn (NYC) is doable. Then you can either take the E to 53rd/Lex (sit in the back of the train) and walk the mere 5 blocks or just take a taxi from Penn. If you have luggage to schlep, just get car service and be done with it. Cabs from EWR are pricier than NYC car service, like Dial 7 which was mentioned, that you can reserve in advance.
Old Jun 16, 08, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by CVCONDE View Post
Only problem with the Air Train is it goes into Penn Station, and from there you have to either take a cab or the connector to GCT, and even from GCT you would have to walk 3 blocks.
A connector to GCT? You mean the 1, 2 or 3 to 42nd and then transferring to the shuttle to GCT? Not quite an easy "connector". From Penn, one can take the E to 53rd/Lex and walk 5 blocks to 48th. Much easier than taking 2 trains to GCT, don't you think?
Old Jun 16, 08, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would take the Olympia Bus to near Grand Central Station and walk or taxi from there.

MisterNice
Old Jun 16, 08, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL GM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MisterNice View Post
I would take the Olympia Bus to near Grand Central Station and walk or taxi from there.
I live on the east side and when I need to get to EWR, that's what I take.
Old Jun 16, 08, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

MisterNice
Ah yes, Olympia Coach, the morons who created that wonderful game, Stupid EWR Bus Tricks, where they don't post their schedule at the bus stop (or the signs inside the terminal) making people think they work all night when they actually stop around 1:00 A.M.

Last month, I saw a poor soul who had waited an hour before he found this out.

I loathe everything about EWR.

Last edited by Landing Gear; Jun 16, 08 at 9:45 pm Reason: typos and formatting corrected
Old Jun 17, 08, 7:29 am

MisterNice
Forgot about the bus. Yup, this would be an easier ride than taking the airtrain/NJ Transit route. The bus drops off passengers at 41st and Park. So if the OP doesn't have a lot to carry, she can walk. If not, she can hail a taxi although if it's raining, taxis will be hard to come by.

Karen, if you take this bus, make sure you verify with the driver that the bus you board will indeed go to the east side.
Old Jun 17, 08, 7:55 am

A taxi to 48th and Lex should be $45 + toll + tip (assuming that taxi rate page is correct--it's unclear to me whether it's the old rate page from back before they deleted it or if it's new and they just haven't bothered to link to it--you can find it through google but I can't find a link to it from the main EWR page). Car services will start around $50 + toll + tip. So it's roughly a wash. Given that tolls are $8-10 (depending on route, whether you have to pay roundtrip tolls, and whether the driver passes on any off-peak EZ Pass discounts), I'd expect to pay about $65 all-in for either a taxi or a basic car service.

Higher end car services will charge more.
Old Jun 17, 08, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise View Post
Forgot about the bus. Yup, this would be an easier ride than taking the airtrain/NJ Transit route. The bus drops off passengers at 41st and Park. So if the OP doesn't have a lot to carry, she can walk. If not, she can hail a taxi although if it's raining, taxis will be hard to come by.
Karen, if you take this bus, make sure you verify with the driver that the bus you board will indeed go to the east side.
If I need a taxi I walk to the nearby Grand Hyatt and grab a taxi there. Far easier than at the next door Grand Central Station. I love the bus as I almost always get a few zzzzz's on it and my luggage is safe.

MisterNice
Old Jun 17, 08, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thanks for all the help, gang.

i think i'll take my chances with carmel car service. i don't have a lot of luggage, but a rollaboard and a heavy-ish bag, so would prefer not to have to schlep/change trains/hail additional cabs. when i lived in manhattan, a car service once stood me up for an airport trip...can't remember if it was carmel or tel aviv, i'm just keeping my fingers crossed the guy shows up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: