Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to get married on layover?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
FT always delivers when work is a little slow

I hope all goes well and make sure you keep us posted.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thumbs up

For everyone who was wondering about this event, it actually happened. I attended the ceremony and it was beautiful. We got plenty of interesting looks on the bridge from the other folks out there, and it was a little loud with the traffic right below us. The ambulance that came across the bridge certainly didn't help on the noise factor, though it did provide some comic relief.

Most importantly, it is very clear that Alma (the OP) and Brian are very much in love and are destined for a long and happy life together.

Some photos from the ceremony (posted with the couple's permission) can be found here.

They ended up doing the trip as an overnight so as to not struggle with the issuance of the permit, and it also allowed for a whirlwind NYC tour, including the Top of the Rock, sunrise on the Staten Island Ferry and, of course, the Brooklyn Bridge. And for those who were worried that they'd have no family in attendance, that was not the case.

What a great way to spend a summer afternoon. I can't wipe the smile off my face even if I wanted to.

s.

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 25, 2008 at 3:24 pm Reason: added note about family
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Awesome shots, S. If that's not romantic, you really have to wonder what is.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:24 pm

Very nice gesture for you to witness their wedding and the photos are beautiful, as is the couple.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
They ended up doing the trip as an overnight so as to not struggle with the issuance of the permit, and it also allowed for a whirlwind NYC tour, including the Top of the Rock, sunrise on the Staten Island Ferry and, of course, the Brooklyn Bridge. And for those who were worried that they'd have no family in attendance, that was not the case.
Very glad to hear the family were present at such a joyous time and that they didn't have to rush to catch a flight!

Great pictures!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Congratulations, Alma and Brian! You couldn't have picked better weather if you tried. And sbm12, thank you for sharing your wonderful photos.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:06 pm

Congratulations!! Great photos sbm12.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Very glad to hear the family were present at such a joyous time and that they didn't have to rush to catch a flight!
Well, they did head from the ceremony to the hotel to grab their bags and then to the heliport and then on to their onward flight. Not rushed by any means, but right on to the airport.

And thanks for all the photo comments. I was actually taking pictures with three cameras during the event - mine, her's and mom's. That was certainly challenging, but I know that the ones on my camera came out OK; not sure about the other two, but hopefully they came out OK too.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
I know that the ones on my camera came out OK; not sure about the other two, but hopefully they came out OK too.
Worst case you can make a print album for them.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
The OP was on her way to the airport and is somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean right now. I don't begrudge them for not finding time to log on and post a comment immediately following their wedding and on their way to catch a flight. Plus I told them I would as we left the ceremony.
I'm sorry, but in your previous post, I didn't notice where you said the wedding was today.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I'm sorry, but in your previous post, I didn't notice where you said the wedding was today.
That was in post #43 (and #1), not one from today.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I'm one of the two New York lawyers who provided information here on the courts, laws and city agencies. Neither of us was thanked.
I'm sure OP will get around to making the appropriate thanks and such.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
gorgeous photos!

thanks for posting those sbm12.

congratulations, alma and brian!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Premier Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Hey everyone! This is Brian. I’m at work trying to catch up after a late arrival last night at SAT. I just wanted to post a quick thank you to everyone for your comments and in particular, say a huge THANK YOU to Seth for being there to witness and take pictures.:-:^:-:^:-:^:-:^ If he wasn’t there, we would have memories but nothing else. Thanks as well for enduring the heat and the long walk to get to where we held the ceremony!

Alma is at home sleeping (Which is where I would be if I could! ) and I’m sure she’ll do a more thorough post later.

Again, from me...thanks!

Last edited by ADKOP; Aug 6, 2008 at 11:50 am
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Premier Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Talking

HI Everyone! Finally, I have a chance to sit down and post about our experience. As you can see from Seth's AWESOME photographs, the ceremony was even better than expected, even if quite LOUD with all of the traffic on the bridge. We all just gathered together very closely so that we could hear each other and it made it seem more intimate - and, at least for me, I even temporarily forgot that we weren't the only ones up there on the bridge. I knew that the cars travelled underneath the pedestrian walkway, but I was quite surprised by the actual amount of noise up there. It was SO hot on the walk up, but once we got up to the first tower where we had the ceremony, it was shaded and quite breezy, so not so hot. BettyKat had also volunteered to be a witness for the ceremony, but she was unable to attend due to a last minute trip leaving on the day of the ceremony.

I'm so glad that we arrived the day before so that we had time to take in some of the sights of the city. Our flight from ATL-LGA was about a half hour late, so we didn't get our luggage until 1pm. We were checked into the Millenium Hilton and on our way out the door by 2pm. We ran most of the way over to the City Admin building, and we had the license in hand at 2:29pm. We were surprised at how quickly that whole process went. My Mom and daughter were also delayed and didn't make it to the hotel until about 5pm. But, we still had time to make it to Papaya King, Top of the Rock, and then Chikalicious for dessert. We even got to take the subway! Friday morning, we all got up around 4am and made it over to the Staten Island Ferry by 5:30, so that we could see the sunrise from the ferry. That was GREAT! We went to Katz's deli for brunch before getting ready for the ceremony. We checked out of the hotel about 2pm on our way to the ceremony, and they held our luggage in storage for us. Everyone arrived early to the bridge around 2:30, and the ceremony was over by 3pm. We picked up our luggage from the hotel and took a taxi to the heliport.

We were the first ones to arrive for the flight, and the TSA agents there must've been very bored, because they searched through all of our luggage. The helicopter flight was AWESOME, of course. We got lots of attention at the heliport and then at the airport as well, because we were still dressed in our wedding attire and I was carrying my bouquet and Brian was wearing his boutonniere. Seth called while we were in the club at Newark and said that he had already uploaded the photos, so we took a quick peek at them before heading to the gate for our flight to Brussels. We had a FABULOUS time on our honeymoon in Brussels and Amsterdam - definitely, my favorite trip to Amsterdam ever!

We didn't want to post while we were there because we were using our [OLD] laptop, which runs quite slow - not to mention that at the Conrad in Brussels, we could barley pickup wifi in one specific spot in the corner of the room, and for hotel internet service, it cost 25 euros for 24 hours (NOT!!). So, we only used the laptop to check emails and download photos from the cameras when the memory became full. Now, that we are back, we have nearly 2,600 photos from our 12 days, so it will take us some time to sort through them and upload them to a photo server somewhere, not to mention resizing them. For whoever is interested, I will post a link whenever we have started the upload process. Seth also took some photos of the ceremony with our camera, which will definitely be in there.

THANK YOU SO MUCH SETH for the beautiful photographs that you took! It was so great to meet you! Without you, my Mom would've been busy trying to figure out how to take photographs and wouldn't have been able to enjoy the ceremony. Also, thank you so much to BettyKat for volunteering to witness the ceremony, even though you were unable to attend.

[Response to now-deleted post removed by the moderator]

I don't think it was crazy at all! It was BEAUTIFUL, it was an ADVENTURE (which we LOVE), and most of all, it was a LOT of FUN!!! We got our marriage certificate in the mail yesterday, and for location of the ceremony, it even says BROOKLYN BRIDGE!

Again, a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who volunteered information that made our adventure a successful one and to everyone who gave us their warm wishes and support!!!

Alma

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 14, 2008 at 5:45 pm Reason: update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.