FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Time to get married on layover? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/822899-time-get-married-layover.html)

Analise May 14, 2008 4:38 pm

Deleted

ADKOP May 20, 2008 5:37 am

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help. What I have done is change our award flights to the 24th. We had to waitlist for first from ATL to NYC, but we are confirmed in coach. We will obtain the license immediately upon arriving and stay at the Millenium Hilton. Then, we will be married on the 25th at 3pm on the Brooklyn Bridge. I have arranged a limo to drop us off, along with the officiant, at the entrance to the pedestrian walkway. Then, it will pick us up following the ceremony, and drop us at the heliport in time to check in for the 5pm helicopter flight. I did have to tell my fiance' about the plans, and he is THRILLED! I also let him know everything I had been through trying to keep it a surprise. It was very stressful, but now we can plan it together and ultimately it will be much easier and enjoyable. Anyone still up for being a witness?

sbm12 May 20, 2008 6:49 am

Whether family and friends can make it or not, I'm still up for being a witness.

Getting to share in such a celebration would be a joy. PM me details if you're serious - I definitely am.

S.

Inthewind May 20, 2008 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Quote of now-deleted post removed by the moderator

I agree with ADKOP.

A small intimate ceremony need not have religion or family members involved to profess love and commitment to each other...EACH OTHER being the key here. They aren't marrying their family (Though most people think when you marry the family comes with them ;) )

I believe this is a choice and decision belonging to the people involved.

It sounds CRAZY ROMANTIC to me!!! WoooHooo! @:-) They could always ask someone walking across the bridge to be a witness! Would that meet your approval Analise?? :td: or ^ ?

I have to say...this guy sure is one lucky fella!:D

obscure2k May 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by ADKOP (Post 9751046)
Thanks again to everyone for all of your help. What I have done is change our award flights to the 24th. We had to waitlist for first from ATL to NYC, but we are confirmed in coach. We will obtain the license immediately upon arriving and stay at the Millenium Hilton. Then, we will be married on the 25th at 3pm on the Brooklyn Bridge. I have arranged a limo to drop us off, along with the officiant, at the entrance to the pedestrian walkway. Then, it will pick us up following the ceremony, and drop us at the heliport in time to check in for the 5pm helicopter flight. I did have to tell my fiance' about the plans, and he is THRILLED! I also let him know everything I had been through trying to keep it a surprise. It was very stressful, but now we can plan it together and ultimately it will be much easier and enjoyable. Anyone still up for being a witness?

Congratulations! Sounds like a great plan.^ All best wishes..
O2K

dchristiva May 21, 2008 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ADKOP (Post 9752204)
Well, first of all, we've both been married before. I had a large wedding that was paid for my family and I have no desire to go through that again. Since that marriage ended, I have come to have no faith in the "institution" of traditional marriage. This ceremony will simply be a legalization of a committment that was made between us a long time ago. We may not even be doing it now except that there are some legal complications we have run into not being officially married, but rather "common law" married. We simply do not feel the need to have a legal document to prove that we are committed to each other. This ceremony will not be a traditional one in that we will not recite the "traditional" wedding vows, we will write our own. Nor will there be any religious rhetoric included whatsoever. While it may be true that certain members of our families and friends may enjoy being there, it doesn't seem worth it for them to travel to NY for a ten minute ceremony, especially since we've lived together for seven years and they are already well aware of our committment to each other. I don't think it would be financially feasible for most of them anyway. However, our friends and family are all aware of our plans should they decide to surprise US. Also, they are aware that we are considering having a celebration at some point upon our return.

Great answer and a great plan! Enjoy!

BettyKat May 21, 2008 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by ADKOP (Post 9751046)
Anyone still up for being a witness?

hi alma; i'd love to be a witness! and if there are any documents i can pick up for you at 1 centre street or nearby in advance, let me know - i'm back and forth about once every other week to that neck of the woods.

as for the sniping [response to now-deleted post removed by the moderator] i respectfully ask the moderators to suggest that people refrain from those kinds of comments.

at any rate alma, i've posted on flyertalk with personal requests before precisely because i feel like this forum of 'strangers' is more than that - and i've also been attacked and judged - don't let it get you down, and don't hesitate to ask if you need any paperwork or, yes, a witness!

regards,
katherine

cblaisd May 22, 2008 3:39 pm

Closed for moderator review.

cblaisd
Senior Moderator

cblaisd May 27, 2008 11:59 am

Thread re-opened. But please note:

1. Off-topic posts have been deleted
2. Personal and off-topic comments that are better taken to PM have been deleted.
3. Please keep the thread on-topic -- as well as civil, helpful, and hospitable. A word to the wise.... :)

cblaisd
Senior Moderator

RichardInSF May 27, 2008 6:54 pm

Not really, it's calmed down, but now we are all waiting to hear how the ceremony went.

Although I suppose we wouldn't expect them to interrupt a honeymoon trip just to check-in with Flyertalk -- only moderators have to do that! :) :) :)

sbm12 May 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 9786167)
Not really, it's calmed down, but now we are all waiting to hear how the ceremony went.

Although I suppose we wouldn't expect them to interrupt a honeymoon trip just to check-in with Flyertalk -- only moderators have to do that! :) :) :)

It is scheduled for July 25th, not May 25th. You've got a bit of waiting yet. :D

BettyKat May 27, 2008 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 9786167)

actually, we're waiting to hear if any of the volunteers here on the board get picked to be witnesses for the wedding.

(pick me! pick me!)

:p

BiziBB May 27, 2008 10:23 pm

Please, let's all keep this friendly and on topic so we find out what happened. ;)

RichardInSF May 28, 2008 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 9786352)
It is scheduled for July 25th, not May 25th. You've got a bit of waiting yet. :D

Of course! I've got to remember to take my pills.....:):)

Inthewind May 29, 2008 6:09 am

I'll come to NY to be a witness!!! :p