Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Time to get married on layover?

Time to get married on layover?

Old May 13, 08, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
READ THIS FIRST 24 Hour Waiver

You should look at NYS Dom Rel Law Art 3, sec 13 b and C

I strongly doubt that you qualify for the 24 hour waiver.

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/me...MMONQUERY=LAWS
Old May 13, 08, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Deleted

Last edited by Analise; May 27, 08 at 8:22 pm Reason: Had I known my words were considered problematic, I would have edited them myself. Now, I have.
Old May 13, 08, 4:34 pm

I think I might have scared her away... I think the only way to get married on this layover on the Brooklyn Bridge is to get the license ahead of time.. But that requires a visit to a clerk of some county in NYS.. It doesnt have to be NYC... Any NYS license will do. Then Alma has to get someone to do it.. That is fairly simple... Many clergy, judges, retired judges etc will perform the ceremony...
Old May 13, 08, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
Waiting to hear back from Alma. Alma, what is your response to all that has been said?
After reading all the above? I'd say, "Vegas, baby!"
Old May 14, 08, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Silver Medallion Delta, AA
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the GREAT replies! I'm going to try to call the court today to clarify the judicial waiver issue. Here's the link to the form itself, which states:

"We are advised that section 13b of the Domestic Relations Law requires the
passage of 24 hours from , before solemnization of our
prospective marriage can take place.

We have made preparations for our wedding unaware of this provision.
Grave inconvenience will be caused to these subscribers and our families due to the 24-hour
lapse following license issuance."

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/6jd/f...rriagelice.pdf

They made it sound so simple the first time I called. It sounds like my only other option would be to try to change the date of our flights to New York to a day earlier and spend the night there. I have two problems there.

Firstly, I wanted to surprise my fiance' with the wedding. He has no idea I was thinking of doing it on the layover. We have lived together for 7 years and for various reasons never got married before now. Now that we have decided to do it, he keeps asking me when...when....when. I just keep saying...what's the rush? Don't worry about it, maybe I'll just surprise you. We were planning on just going to the courthouse because I didn't want to make a big family event of it. But I know he'd like it to be somewhat special. The only concern he has is that we do it before we leave for Europe. He wants it to be our honeymoon. So, I thought I'd leave him wondering if it's gonna happen right up until the last possible minute before we board the plane for Brussels and surprise him!

The other problem is that we are going on award tickets and there are no available awards for early in the day on the 24th. If we are already confirmed for the 25th, can I waitlist for the same flights on the 24th? Also, if they clear, will I have to pay the $100 ticket reissue fee? I would also have to keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't notice the change in the itinerary for at LEAST a little while, because I'd like it to be somewhat of a surprise.

As for who would marry us on the bridge, there are LOTS of websites for civil officiants in NY. I've spoken to one already, who will be out of town for that date, but she will try to hook us up with one of her fellow officiants.

As for our itineray the way it stand now, here it is:

Day Date Flight Status Class City Time Other Cabin
--- ----- --------------- ------ ----- ---------------- ------ ------ -------
Fri 25JUL DELTA 1646 OK R LV SAN ANTONIO 530A V 2C
AR ATLANTA 900A FIRST

Fri 25JUL DELTA 836 OK R LV ATLANTA 955A 2C
AR NEWARK 1214P FIRST

Fri 25JUL CONTINENTAL AIR OK E LV NEWARK 630P **
LINES 60 AR BRUSSELS 805A#

Thanks again for everyone's help and I will keep you posted!
Alma
Old May 14, 08, 11:53 am

Alma,, the court you should be speaking to is they NY Supreme COurt Civil part at 60 Centre st.....try calling the ex parte clerk first. room 315 ,
646-386-3125 If they don't handle it they should be able to direct you to the correct part.

Note.. I believe you will also need the following..

Index No.... 210$,,, RJI 95$ . filing motion?? $45.

I really think you should try for the day before..

ps I tried finding the form you are referred to..link didn't work and it is a 6jd form which i believe is the 6th judicial district... that is upstate, no help in ny county..

last thing... NY Supreme judges have little tolerance for what they deem nuisance and there is no guarantee that a judge will sign the order based on "my family will be inconvenienced" unless you can spell out the problem in more detail..

Last edited by nytango; May 14, 08 at 12:20 pm
Old May 14, 08, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by ADKOP View Post
Thanks for all of the GREAT replies! I'm going to try to call the court today to clarify the judicial waiver issue. Here's the link to the form itself, which states:

"We are advised that section 13b of the Domestic Relations Law requires the
passage of 24 hours from , before solemnization of our
prospective marriage can take place.

We have made preparations for our wedding unaware of this provision.
Grave inconvenience will be caused to these subscribers and our families due to the 24-hour
lapse following license issuance."

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/6jd/f...rriagelice.pdf

They made it sound so simple the first time I called.
The link you posted above is leads to a dead page (404 error).

I believe, however, that the form in question can be found at http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/6jd/f...rriagelice.pdf

Is this what you read?

If so, please note carefully the following words from the document:

"4. (a) We have made preparations for our wedding unaware of this provision. Grave inconvenience will be caused to these subscribers and our families due to the 24-hour lapse following license issuance." [my emphasis added]
You are well aware of this provision.

If you plan on signing this statement under oath, I suggest you seek an attorney experienced in criminal law to advise you of the implications of making a false affidavit.

By the way, I haven't even gone near the question of what constitutes "grave inconvenience."
Old May 14, 08, 12:27 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
If you plan on signing this statement under oath, I suggest you seek an attorney experienced in criminal law to advise you of the implications of making a false affidavit.
[removed personal attack]

The plans may very well have been made long before she knew of the provision. [removed by moderator]

Last edited by cblaisd; May 22, 08 at 6:06 pm Reason: TOS re civility
Old May 14, 08, 12:45 pm

The form she found apparently is from the 6th Judicial Dist.. I can't find one in NY County.. I doubt that a clerk would even submit the form without some indication of what the "grave inconvenience" would be. Justices of the NY Supreme at 60 Centre do not move very fast and have a tendency to frown on trivial applications. Also it seems that Alma does not want to pay $100 per ticket change fees but may very well be paying much more trying to get a court order which may or may not be granted. Look at her timing.. How can she get from ewr,,, to marriage lic bureau,, to supreme to even submit the form before noon. No judge will even see it between 12:30 and 2:30 as lunch is supposed to be 1-2 . She would be VERY lucky to get the order entered before 3. and what happens if it is denied??

This entire thing is crazy...
Old May 14, 08, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Ok Ok Ok ... so I waitlisted for the 24th. IF we clear, we will be subject to the $100 fee, but no biggie...I was just asking if anyone knew. Now, if we DO arrive on the 24th, we'd still be in a similar rush without the judicial waiver, so I'm definitely going to check on that further. Meanwhile I'll keep checking the waitlist status and hope he doesn't notice it anytime too soon. And if works out that we can get married in NY, then that will be great. If not, maybe we'll still get to have a day stopover, and at least then we can have a dog from Papaya King!
Alma
Old May 14, 08, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
[now-deleted portions of quote removed by moderator]

The plans may very well have been made long before she knew of the provision.
[Removed uncivil response to now-deleted quote]

It's now May. The proposed wedding is in July. "Preparations" seem to have consisted of an airline reservation and a FlyerTalk posting.

What the statutory intent here quite likely is to cover the situation where a couple books a church, reception and minister, sends out invitations and leaves the license for the last minute.

And don't forget the "grave inconvenience" provision.

As a lawyer, I do not encourage people to commit perjury. I encourage them to tell the truth.

Last edited by cblaisd; May 22, 08 at 6:08 pm Reason: TOS re civility
Old May 14, 08, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by nytango View Post
. . . I doubt that a clerk would even submit the form without some indication of what the "grave inconvenience" would be. Justices of the NY Supreme at 60 Centre do not move very fast and have a tendency to frown on trivial applications.
Why are you throwing logic into this discussion?

No judge will even see it between 12:30 and 2:30 as lunch is supposed to be 1-2 .
I know a bunch of guys in black who didn't get that memo.

She would be VERY lucky to get the order entered before 3. and what happens if it is denied??
An emergency appeal to the Appelate Division. I'm sure someone can Google that. LOL.

This entire thing is crazy...
An understatement.
Old May 14, 08, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

nytango-

I called the number you gave. I explained my situation and the clerk said he could certainly not GUARANTEE it, but he assured me that MOST of the time the judge will sign a judicial waiver - even in situations such as mine. He also assured me that it is a relatively quick procedure and there are no fees. So hopefully, our flights for the 24th will clear and we will therefore have plenty of time to not only get hitched, but enjoy a night in the city.

When my fiance' discovers the waitlist, I will just have to reveal the surprise then and it's the thought that counts anyway, right?
Old May 14, 08, 3:48 pm

Contact the local NY media perhaps they can grease the skids for you and in return have a good story for the 6pm News
Old May 14, 08, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ADKOP View Post
nytango-

I called the number you gave. I explained my situation and the clerk said he could certainly not GUARANTEE it, but he assured me that MOST of the time the judge will sign a judicial waiver - even in situations such as mine. He also assured me that it is a relatively quick procedure and there are no fees. So hopefully, our flights for the 24th will clear and we will therefore have plenty of time to not only get hitched, but enjoy a night in the city.

When my fiance' discovers the waitlist, I will just have to reveal the surprise then and it's the thought that counts anyway, right?
So, you plan to state under oath, two months from now, that you have been unaware of the 24 hour waiting time?

Also, what is your "grave inconvenience?"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: