Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

NYC Yellow Taxis / Cabs Accept Credit Cards (2008-present)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Yellow Taxis / Cabs Accept Credit Cards (2008-present)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:54 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Weird, I just paid a couple fares on Wednesday and the Receipt button was definitely AFTER the credit card swipe. Don't recall which maker - I've never been able to keep track.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah
Another quirk of taxi credit card machines:

Of the two major brands of credit card machines, it seems the Verifone ones calculate the automatic % tips before adding the 50 cent state surcharge, while the Creative Mobile machines calculate the automatic % tips including the 50 cent state surcharge. That's a difference of a dime if you're tipping 20%.
Actually I did a r/t taxi trip to LGA earlier this month. One system calculated the tip as 20% after the toll charges, and one before. Obviously I can adjust as I want (and I didn't notice until I compared the cost of the two trips afterward), but this was probably intentional.

Sort of a smaller version of the pre-tax or post-tax tip in restaurants, which has been a source of contention in my household for many years.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:32 pm

Cab tipping

I have noticed in the past couple of years that when I pay a cab with cc, I get a screen with suggested tips starting with 20%. I always feel pressured to complete the transaction in the least amount of time so I have always chosen the 20% option.
There are times when I don't want to tip at the minimum suggested rate and I don't want to delay exiting the cab in order to read the entire screen carefully so someone please give me step by step instruction how I can enter my own $ amount.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just type the dollar amount of your desired tip on the numeric keypad displayed next to/under the 20/25/30% buttons.

I usually just press the 20% button because the cabbies have to pay ~5-10% extra in credit card fees. This is why they don't like card payments. And usually the difference is just a couple bucks.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Just type the dollar amount of your desired tip on the numeric keypad displayed next to/under the 20/25/30% buttons.

I usually just press the 20% button because the cabbies have to pay ~5-10% extra in credit card fees. This is why they don't like card payments. And usually the difference is just a couple bucks.
+1! They're trying to get by too.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:56 pm

If driver ok, I have no issues with 20%. If great service or lots of bags, I am ok with more.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Cab tipping

Did anyone else see the thread title and picture an urban version of the sport of cow tipping?

(edit to add, to aid the confused: pre-thread-merge, this post was in a thread titled "cab tipping")

Last edited by swag; Jul 28, 2012 at 7:27 am
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can type in any amount you want, but 20% is pretty much the norm in NYC. If anything, I round up to the nearest dollar unless the service really was bad (as in the driver's conduct, not the fact that there was bad traffic or somesuch).
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by swag
Did anyone else see the thread title and picture an urban version of the sport of cow tipping?
Yes, I did too. I'm happy I'm not the only silly-minded one here!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Currently they pay 5%. Starting in September they will no longer pay that; they will pay a flat fee increase on the medallion lease instead.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:51 am

Thanks. Just press the keypad? I don't have to press anything else to get into another screen?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:05 pm
Suspended

what about w/a VDB ride?

what would tip if say you took a VDB from say EWR-LAX to JFK-LAX and they gave you a voucher to go by cab or shuttle to JFK, would you simply hand over the voucher or would you give the voucher and some ca$h? sometimes they call a car service instead of using a reg Yellow cab, other times they give you a voucher for say Super Shuttle but as an exclusive which costs them alot more money then a shared van
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
With such a low fare, I don't mind the 20% option. It's not like its a dinner bill or bar tab up in the hundreds.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:30 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I always punch in my own, round dollar amount. Just be careful not to add too many zeroes to the end!!

-------------------------------------------------------
This thread will now be merged into the main NYC Taxi Credit Card thread, which contains other discussions on this topic.

/Moderator
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by craz
what would tip if say you took a VDB from say EWR-LAX to JFK-LAX and they gave you a voucher to go by cab or shuttle to JFK, would you simply hand over the voucher or would you give the voucher and some ca$h? sometimes they call a car service instead of using a reg Yellow cab, other times they give you a voucher for say Super Shuttle but as an exclusive which costs them alot more money then a shared van
Most VDB coupons, whether for taxis, meals or the like, either do not include a tip or include a very small one. I typically estimate what the cost would have been and tip on that. With a restaurant meal, it's easy because you see the check. With a taxi, you just need to consider the likely fare.

Car services, on the other hand, typically include a tip in the total and there's no expectation of anything above that unless the driver does something special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.