Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Parking Options (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LimoDan

I need to let this go but its taking on its own life in my head. I STILL cant get over the fact that I was charged twice. Its more about the principal and business practices that it is about the EXTRA charge because they parked in on site Airport Parking lot.

I dont know which "place" to call about this? nrr can you point me in right direction?
My guess from knowing how AviStar has done things in the past. They drove your car over to LTP and parked it as if they were the owner, sinc etheyw ere out of room and saw your EZPass. They probably figured youd never know they did that since 99.999% of the people never check their EZP statement

So when they retrived your car your EZP was charged by LTP and when they gave you your car they charged you as if it was on their lot the whole time , = you paid 2 companys to park 1 car in 1 spot
Old May 12, 2011, 12:02 pm

Hi I stumbled across this thread the other day. I didnt comment then but I see there are shady practices for all of these facilities it seems. I made a reservation at JFK Long Term Parking, I actually thought they were affiliated with JFK Airport but they are NOT.

The reservation was for $13.60 per day. Make a long story short. I was charged $14.95. Plus 2 other charges or fees or whatever they call it. Apparently honesty is not the best policy. According to Dan, Avistar isn't much better. You get charged twice? I dont even understand what happened to him.

I travel frequently. What are my other options?
Old May 12, 2011, 2:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johannes716
Hi I stumbled across this thread the other day. I didnt comment then but I see there are shady practices for all of these facilities it seems. I made a reservation at JFK Long Term Parking, I actually thought they were affiliated with JFK Airport but they are NOT.

The reservation was for $13.60 per day. Make a long story short. I was charged $14.95. Plus 2 other charges or fees or whatever they call it. Apparently honesty is not the best policy. According to Dan, Avistar isn't much better. You get charged twice? I dont even understand what happened to him.

I've had generally (one or two glitches) good results with Smartpark--they charge only $13.95/day (no hidden fees) and there is a 5 hour grace period (longer if you can show flight delay). If you make the left turn on Lefferts Blvd. heading south onto S. Conduit Ave. the first lot is JFK Long Term Parking(this is NOT theLong Term Lot operated by PATH) a few feet along SCA is Smartpark.

Last edited by nrr; May 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm
Old May 16, 2011, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by craz
My guess from knowing how AviStar has done things in the past. They drove your car over to LTP and parked it as if they were the owner, sinc etheyw ere out of room and saw your EZPass. They probably figured youd never know they did that since 99.999% of the people never check their EZP statement

So when they retrived your car your EZP was charged by LTP and when they gave you your car they charged you as if it was on their lot the whole time , = you paid 2 companys to park 1 car in 1 spot
You know this from personal experience? So, this is a common practice on their part?

I have to leave town for a few days and I found a new, well what I thought was new site. The Parking Spot.

I found it through Avistar website. Then today I saw it again as a separate site. What is the deal? When a business gets a bad enough reputation they change the "ownership" name or "manager" name to try and fool people?

Or is The Parking Sopt legit?

Hey J - They just flat out overcharged you???? What did you say? Didnt you show a printout or something with your lower price?
Old May 16, 2011, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
LimoDan,

The local television stations have consumer reporters. They'd love a story like this. @:-)

dh
Old May 18, 2011, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LimoDan
You know this from personal experience? So, this is a common practice on their part?

I have to leave town for a few days and I found a new, well what I thought was new site. The Parking Spot.

I found it through Avistar website. Then today I saw it again as a separate site. What is the deal? When a business gets a bad enough reputation they change the "ownership" name or "manager" name to try and fool people?

Or is The Parking Sopt legit?

Hey J - They just flat out overcharged you???? What did you say? Didnt you show a printout or something with your lower price?
1- I believe that either The Parking Spot purchased FT (AviStar) or the other way around. My gut says FT purchased TPS and did a AirTrans value Jet thing, where the bad buys the good and uses the name of the good going forward and hope most people wont have any idea of what took place

A few yrs ago some news show here in NY did a report/s on AviStar at LGA and how people dropped off their cars at the valet lot of AS and then the employees simply parked the cars on the street and they were ticketed for Alternate Street Parking, it only came out when some peopel couldnt understand how they could ahve been tkted when they parked @ AviStar and have the receipt to prove it. Also they were numerous damaged cars and AS couldnt explain how those cars could have gotten damaged as they did if they were indeed parked on ... lot.

No it never happened to me although yrs ago it was cheaper to park at JFK AS then the LTP airport lot, its just they cant park the cars on the street by JFK either any longer so they need to do something and my hunch is they look for the cars with EZ in them and figure 99.9% of the pop dont ever look over their EZ bill and bingo they get paid for parking your car at LTP and the person ends up paying for both, great scam! Take your EZ with you and the car wont be parked at LTP unless you are paying FT more per day then what LTP is charging So if LTP is $18 a day and you are paying $23 it pays for FT to park the car at LTP, so as long as you dont have an EZ in the car and the rate per day is less then LTP you should be safe.

But I would just avoid these guys at all costs if U can, I do. Bout the only time I might pull in is dead of winter and theres a good chance a big storm is headed in so I will let them dig me out rather then do it myself upon my return

* LTP = Long Term Parking lot of JFK
Old May 18, 2011, 10:28 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since all the satellite parking lots near JFK charge by the full day (Smartpark does have a 5 hour grace period), the real longterm lot charges $18/day, but after 24 hours the rate is $6/8 hours this can be cheaper than the private lots. [NO hidden surcharges and extra fees] [The $18 includes sales tax.]
Some caveats:
(1) with the private lots you have to wait for them to come and pick you up; with lt you use the airtrain (generally efficient frequent service)
(2) the private lots get you closer to the terminal (via shuttle bus); the airtrain is generally a much longer walk.
(3) With lt you lock and park your car, which is in a semi-secure area; with private lots, your car is in a more secure setting [except when they move the car to lt]

Last edited by nrr; May 19, 2011 at 5:59 am
Old May 19, 2011, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
LimoDan,

The local television stations have consumer reporters. They'd love a story like this. @:-)

dh
lol Arnold Diaz, Shame on you! hmmm.....

1- I believe that either The Parking Spot purchased FT (AviStar) or the other way around. My gut says FT purchased TPS and did a AirTrans value Jet thing, where the bad buys the good and uses the name of the good going forward and hope most people wont have any idea of what took place
Ahhhh thats what I thought.

A few yrs ago some news show here in NY did a report/s on AviStar at LGA and how people dropped off their cars at the valet lot of AS and then the employees simply parked the cars on the street and they were ticketed for Alternate Street Parking, it only came out when some peopel couldnt understand how they could ahve been tkted when they parked @ AviStar and have the receipt to prove it. Also they were numerous damaged cars and AS couldnt explain how those cars could have gotten damaged as they did if they were indeed parked on ... lot.
Oh, I have heard of that. I did forget about it but you mentioning it jogged a vague memory in my head.

No it never happened to me although yrs ago it was cheaper to park at JFK AS then the LTP airport lot, its just they cant park the cars on the street by JFK either any longer so they need to do something and my hunch is they look for the cars with EZ in them and figure 99.9% of the pop dont ever look over their EZ bill and bingo they get paid for parking your car at LTP and the person ends up paying for both, great scam! Take your EZ with you and the car wont be parked at LTP unless you are paying FT more per day then what LTP is charging So if LTP is $18 a day and you are paying $23 it pays for FT to park the car at LTP, so as long as you dont have an EZ in the car and the rate per day is less then LTP you should be safe.
That is just crazy. (sorry to take some of your name 'craz')

But I would just avoid these guys at all costs if U can, I do. Bout the only time I might pull in is dead of winter and theres a good chance a big storm is headed in so I will let them dig me out rather then do it myself upon my return

* LTP = Long Term Parking lot of JFK
"these guys" = off site lots, you mean? They have some good deals. One of them has to work. Two days onsite = $36. Off site= avg $30

Originally Posted by nrr
Since all the satellite parking lots near JFK charge by the full day (Smartpark does have a 5 hour grace period), the real longterm lot charges $18/day, but after 24 hours the rate is $6/8 hours this can be cheaper than the private lots. [NO hidden surcharges and extra fees] [The $18 includes sales tax.]
Some caveats:
(1) with the private lots you have to wait for them to come and pick you up; with lt you use the airtrain (generally efficient frequent service)
(2) the private lots get you closer to the terminal (via shuttle bus); the airtrain is generally a much longer walk.
(3) With lt you lock and park your car, which is in a semi-secure area; with private lots, your car is in a more secure setting [except when they move the car to lt]
For me, the convenience of not having to drag my luggage around is the sole reason I use the private lots AND its door to door so to speak.
Old May 24, 2011, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Some caveats:

I am sorry I am confused. Sometimes I feel like I am not smarter than a 5th grader.

Is it better/cheaper to park at airport or at private lots?
Old May 24, 2011, 9:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sorry I am confused. Sometimes I feel like I am not smarter than a 5th grader.

Is it better/cheaper to park at airport or at private lots?
You really have to figure the number of days (and fractions of a day) you will be away. The real longterm lot has NO surcharges all of the others do; the $18 at lt includes all taxes (if there are any--PA is a bi-state agency), the satellite lots add a sales tax. Smartpark gives you a free day for every 7 you park (and a 5 hour grace period). So the real answer to your (bolded) ques. is "it depends".
If you have significant amount of (heavy) luggage the scales would tip in favor of the satellite lots.
Old May 25, 2011, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't parked in a lot in years. But when I did, it always took longer to go to and from the airport. A full van means multiple stops at various terminals.

On the pick-up, after you've waited for 10 - 30 minutes, you have to go through the same routine.

If you park in the Long Term parking lots, all you do is take the AirTrain to the terminal. Maximum wait for the train - 4 minutes. Add to that the maximum time to the furthest terminal (unless you know the shortcut ) is 15 minutes.

The roundtrip cost of the Airtrain is $10 per person. After that, you have to do the math to see if the cost/time matters to you.

dh
Old May 25, 2011, 9:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't parked in a lot in years. But when I did, it always took longer to go to and from the airport. A full van means multiple stops at various terminals.

On the pick-up, after you've waited for 10 - 30 minutes, you have to go through the same routine.

If you park in the Long Term parking lots, all you do is take the AirTrain to the terminal. Maximum wait for the train - 4 minutes. Add to that the maximum time to the furthest terminal (unless you know the shortcut ) is 15 minutes.

The roundtrip cost of the Airtrain is $10 per person. After that, you have to do the math to see if the cost/time matters to you.
dh
If you park in the long term lot, the airtrain is FREE--it is covered by the parking fee.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
If you park in the long term lot, the airtrain is FREE--it is covered by the parking fee.
Silly me. I'm so use to paying the fee because I park for free in Howard Beach. Thanks for the correction.

dh
Old May 28, 2011, 4:33 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Silly me. I'm so use to paying the fee because I park for free in Howard Beach. Thanks for the correction.

dh
I've never tried to street park at HB, I use lt parking and I park near the HB Airtrain station (its easier to find parking right near the station). Is it possible to walk into lt from street parking near HB? It seems that one can do this with the Lefferts Blvd Airtrain station.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:01 am
sgb

I need to park at JFK for 11 days in June/July. There are four of us, coming from NJ, so taking the train etc is not cheaper by any means. What are the good options here? The off-site lots that I've searched seem to be in the $150-$170 range.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.