Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/– button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
I think people are being too conservative. If the OP's flight is reasonably close to being on time, 2:40 leaves plenty of time for a LGA-JFK transfer by taxi, even with luggage. Forget the shuttle bus or any other option; take a taxi, which will cost about $30 with tip and take 20 (unlikely) to 45 (likely) minutes.
Blumie,,, as usual you are right.. But lots of out of towners think that our traffic "is the worst" it really isnt,, plus between lga and jfk at that time the traffic is mostly going the other way towards the city.

Forget shuttle,and airtrain just take a cab. You will be able to make it even with luggage.

P.s we dont have "freeways"
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

No expert here, but the taxi to Jamaica Airtrain terminal method sounds pretty good, isn't it sorta going against traffic in the AM? Or is there no such thing as "going against traffic" in NYC? Google maps shows it as 7.5mi and claims it takes 13 minutes (the latter I wouldn't believe, but even if it is 25, it would be good).
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Blumie
I think people are being too conservative. If the OP's flight is reasonably close to being on time, 2:40 leaves plenty of time for a LGA-JFK transfer by taxi, even with luggage. Forget the shuttle bus or any other option; take a taxi, which will cost about $30 with tip and take 20 (unlikely) to 45 (likely) minutes.
I agree. The morning rush hour traffic is going in the other direction, towards Manhattan, (GCP westbound, Van Wyck northbound).

Originally Posted by nytango
But lots of out of towners think that our traffic "is the worst". . . it really isn't.

. . .
P.S. we dont have "freeways"

Agreed, it's another urban myth, like the "high" crime rate.

Oh, we may not have freeways, but we do have expressways. Haven't you noticed how "express" the trip on the Gowanus, the BQE or the LIE is?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Also that I am "protected" if the AC flight is delayed etc. and AA will put me on next flight.
If you believe this, I have a nice bridge to sell you.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
A question to FT'ers:

What is the preferred routing here on AC:

1. YYZ-LGA
2. YYZ-EWR

Assuming the final destination is about equidistance between these airports.

The schedules seem to be similar, but based upon criteria such as: ease of transiting customs, availability of ground transport, airport facilities, personal saftey - is there a clear winner here?

thanks!

Last edited by Tangoer; Dec 20, 2007 at 8:50 am
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Tangoer
A question to FT'ers:

What is the preferred routing here on AC:

1. YYZ-LGA
2. YYZ-EWR

Assuming the final destination is about equidistance between these airports.

The schedules seem to be similar, but based upon criteria such as: ease of transiting customs, availability of ground transport, airport facilities, personal saftey - is there a clear winner here?

thanks!
Customs is done in YYZ so it doesn't matter. LGA is mostly a domestic airport so I think it is easier to get around / smaller. In terms of safety... well I've heard Newark is the murder capital of the Northeast...

Cheers,
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Customs is done in YYZ so it doesn't matter. LGA is mostly a domestic airport so I think it is easier to get around / smaller. In terms of safety... well I've heard Newark is the murder capital of the Northeast...
You'll find the people's preferences is pretty well split down the middle. I, too, prefer LGA because it's much smaller than EWR. Personal safety is a non issue; they're both perfectly safe. They're both among the most congested airports in the country, so the risk of delays is high at both. EWR has a monorail that takes you to a train that will take you into Manhattan in about an hour, which a lot of people like. At LGA, you can take a bus to the subway and get to Manhattan for $2 in about an hour, which far too few people take advantage of but is a great option.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
I was leaning towards LGA (AC's fares seem lower there, too). ^^
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
made it just fine

Well, one poster was correct about AC being late, it was by 10 minutes. I didn't take checked luggage so was able to walk through the (small) airport easily. (Cleared Customs at YOW). Arrived outside just as the 8 a.m. bus arrived. No traffic congestion as some posters indicated in this direction so arrived at JFK in 20 minutes. Had plenty of time.

So all went VERY smoothly. Thanks to all for your help!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone used the New York Airport Service bus from JFK to LGA? I think I arrive JFK terminal 7. Would I find this bus at terminal 7, ground transportation?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:07 pm

Transfer from LGA to JFK?

Companion and I are traveling from BOS to MAD in April and we were able to find Skysaver rewards from Delta for the days we wish to fly. Only problem is on the outbound we'll have to go BOS to LGA and from JFFK to MAD. The Delta rep said my 1st leg will land in LGA at 3:40 and my 2nd leg out to MAD leaves at 7:40 so I should have enough time to make the transfer from one airport to the other. What do you think? This will be a Friday so I do worry about the extra traffic from the start of the weekend, and we'll have to check one luggage so that's extra time needed to retrieve our luggage and re-check in at JFK. Any advice or comments greatly appreciated. TIA!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
As long as all is on time you should have no problem in making the transfer. Count on about 25 to 40 minutes from LGA to JFK via taxi, depending on traffic. Here is some contact information on other methods besides a cab

New York Airport Service Express Bus
Shuttle buses depart Kennedy for LaGuardia every 30 minutes from 6:30 am to 8:00 pm. Buses depart LaGuardia for Kennedy every 30 minutes from 7:30 am to 8:00 pm $13 per trip. Buses also make connections Olympia Airport Express for Newark Liberty International Airport at 120 East 41st St.
JFK Airport (Kennedy & LaGuardia Airports).Tel: 718-875-8200

Super Shuttle
Airport transportation to/from Manhattan hotels and JFK airport,LaGuardia and Newark.
Newark Airport...Tel: 212-258-3828
Tel: ..212-961-2255

If your flights are late then you may have a major problem.

SAM
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
try reading this thread, but remember that the difference is time of day.

this should totally confuse you;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765995

bottom line as prior post by samftla

if your flight from bos to lga is late, and it probably will be, then you may have a major problem and spend the night in ny
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would try for an earlier flight if you can to LGA. You have enough time to make it if everything goes right but any delays along the way can make for a mess. Traffic probably won't be a huge issue unless there's weather issues, but delays, checking in at JFK, getting your bags, etc can all add up.

Taxi for two is probably the best, and fastest way to get there.

Last edited by cordelli; Jan 31, 2008 at 8:54 am
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Your BOS-LGA flight is the 230p DL shuttle. It operates every hour; should you choose to take an earlier flight, I'm sure they will accommodate you. Just show up at the DL shuttle counter in BOS and tell them that you'd like to take an earlier flight. (BTW, I don't think you need to; I think four hours leaves plenty of time to account for unexpected delays. DL places a huge emphasis on operating its shuttle flights as close to on time as possible. But even if, hypothetically speaking, you were two hours late arriving into LGA -- which I would guess rarely happens on the DL shuttle -- you'd still make it to JFK in plenty of time for your flight.)

The DL shuttle arrives at LGA's Marine Terminal, where catching a cab to JFK would be incredibly easy. If you arrive close to on time and want to save some money, you could consider other alternatives, but since the other alternatives charge by the passenger (whereas a taxi is going to be the same price for up to four passengers), you need to take that into account when calculating what your savings will be. Were it me, I'd just hop in a cab.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.