Wiki Posts
Search

rental cars at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
rental cars at JFK

I need a rental car at JFK from December 26 to January 4. I was thinking Enterprise, but the reviews over at the rental car forums are not very ensuring. Any suggestion how to score a good deal for that period of time? I tried priceline already but they just can't beat the Enterprise deals.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Where are you going with the car? Oftentimes it's better NOT to rent at the airport.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Second that, get on the train and get the car somewhere else, if you are heading to Connecticut for example, check out prices in Fairfield and Stamford, etc.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:11 pm

And if you're going to Manahttan, it's best not to get a car at all.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Thanks for the advice. I have been to New York before and know that I shouldn't take a car into Manhattan. Parking is the most expensive I have ever seen.

We will be go to the Hamptons and the airport location would be great to transfer to the terminal in minimum time.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not a whizz on NY geography, but might it not also work out to take the airtrain to Jamaica station and then take the LIRR outbound to somewhere on Long Island where you could pick up a car? That's pretty efficient too, I think.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'm not a whizz on NY geography, but might it not also work out to take the airtrain to Jamaica station and then take the LIRR outbound to somewhere on Long Island where you could pick up a car? That's pretty efficient too, I think.
It's a little out of the way, but might be efficient enough (depending on the timing of the trains) to be justifiable if the rental cars are significantly cheaper elsewhere. But they'd have to be quite a bit cheaper for me to endorse doing that.

Sounds to me like Enterprise at JFK will probably be the best bet.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah
It's a little out of the way, but might be efficient enough (depending on the timing of the trains) to be justifiable if the rental cars are significantly cheaper elsewhere. But they'd have to be quite a bit cheaper for me to endorse doing that.

Sounds to me like Enterprise at JFK will probably be the best bet.
If the OP were arriving on a weekday afternoon, this might very well make sense to avoid the traffic heading out to the Island. On December 26, on the other hand, I agree with themicah that the OP should just get the car and go.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
I wanted to revive this old thread. Anyone have any recomendations as to which agency had the best upgrades (ie bmw or merc or audi) avaliable at JFK? Im headed over for a weekend And wanted to rent a nicer car. I know avis has some options. Any experiences with hertz or any of the other companies out there?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by randomeejit
I wanted to revive this old thread. Anyone have any recomendations as to which agency had the best upgrades (ie bmw or merc or audi) avaliable at JFK? Im headed over for a weekend And wanted to rent a nicer car. I know avis has some options. Any experiences with hertz or any of the other companies out there?
You’ll get much better results searching on the car companies’ websites than asking here, as the car availability will differ dramatically depending on your precise dates and times. Hertz at JFK does offer Mercedes, Corvette, Infinity, Dodge Challenger, and Range Rover. Probably others as well. Also, when you ask about “upgrades,” I want to be sure that you plan to reserve the exact car you want. You will not be “upgraded” to one of these cars without paying for it.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by randomeejit
Any experiences with hertz[?]
Consolidated "Renting at JFK; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.