Wiki Posts
Search

JFK --> Somerville, NJ

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 4:31 am
Original Poster

JFK --> Somerville, NJ

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a decent connection between JFK airport and Somerville/NJ.

I will arrive Friday 3 pm (Delta) in JFK after an international flight and like to be as fast as possible at my destination. I am willing to spend up to 100$ (including tips/tolls/...).

My number one priority is fast

Since I did some reading before - is it right that I can't take a cab from JFK to NJ without much hassle?

Any suggestions? thx for your help
Old May 24, 2007, 5:40 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I just did a Google search on Somerville NJ -JFK Taxi and came up with a bunch of options, one of which costs $83 plus tax & tolls, which will bring it to slightly over $100. Not recommending it just mentioning that it came up on Google, Andrea Town Car- 718-392-9191 (or any of the others on the search). Depending upon traffic-- at 3 pm on a Friday, count on 1-2 hrs (or more ). Without traffic, it could be just under an hour (Belt Parkway-->440/287N-->22W)
Old May 24, 2007, 5:48 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
That is not a fun trip ever, especially not at 3pm on a Friday. No chance you could fly CO to EWR, is there?
Old May 24, 2007, 6:12 am
Original Poster

No, not without investing quite a sum more (about +200 $) ...

I`ll go and check the taxi service mentioned above.
Old May 24, 2007, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A Friday in the summer will have quite a bit of traffic especially if you're just arriving at JFK at 3. The quickest might be for you to take the Airtrain to Jamaica, the Long Island Railroad into Penn Station and then catch a NJ Transit train to Somerville changing trains at Newark Penn Station. If you have luggage, that can be a lot of transferring but you might get to Somerville more quickly if you take the train than in bumper to bumper traffic. What is more important to you....a comfortable sedan ride or getting to Somerville by the fastest means?
Old May 24, 2007, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I am not sure if going by public transportations is the fastest way eventhough I did consider it.

This NJTransit-planner gives me a travel time from JFK to Somerville from about 2h40min (subway A from JFK). As far as I know I "save" 20min going by Airlink/LIRR; given myself the chance to buy a ticket at Penn Station I´ll thought there has to be faster way than being 2.5 hours on the way.
Old May 24, 2007, 9:03 am
Original Poster

sorry, double post .

Last edited by Beetxl; May 24, 2007 at 11:10 am
Old May 24, 2007, 10:17 am

If you arrive at 3pm, you should have no problem with a yellow cab. A little later and they change shifts. to NJ, it's basically double the meter. So $2 a mile X 2 + $ $ 4 a mile + tolls. Just do the math and pick either a yellow cab for speed or take public transpiort. I'd pefer the cab.

F.
Old May 24, 2007, 11:09 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by Frank3172a
If you arrive at 3pm, you should have no problem with a yellow cab. A little later and they change shifts. to NJ, it's basically double the meter. So $2 a mile X 2 + $ $ 4 a mile + tolls. Just do the math and pick either a yellow cab for speed or take public transpiort. I'd pefer the cab.

F.
You may be better with a car service than with a regular yellow cab. Mapquest shows the route (JFK to Somerville NJ) to be 56.36 miles. Also, if you also factor in waiting in traffic (with a LOUDLY ticking meter) during a Friday rush hour, and the fact you'd be paying double the meter-- not to mention your average NYC yellow cab driver may possibly not have any idea about where Somerville NJ is-- go with one of the car services that will quote you an exact fare (plus taxes, tolls & tips)
Old May 24, 2007, 11:13 am
Original Poster

hi mauld,

thanks for this mornings tip. I emailed some services for it´s fare -so I`ll wait and see
Old May 24, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Speaking half-seriously, I'd buy a CO ticket JFK-CLE-EWR.
Old May 24, 2007, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From a comfort point of view, car service is it. As for time, if you arrive at JFK at 3, you have to factor in the time it takes to deplane, go through immigration, get your bags and then customs. 30 minutes? 1 hour? Then you have to get to NJ....via the Belt, via the Verrazano, via SI Expressway, 440 and then the Outerbridge Crossing. 2 1/2 hours by train may be quicker on a Friday in the summer.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Analise
From a comfort point of view, car service is it. As for time, if you arrive at JFK at 3, you have to factor in the time it takes to deplane, go through immigration, get your bags and then customs. 30 minutes? 1 hour? Then you have to get to NJ....via the Belt, via the Verrazano, via SI Expressway, 440 and then the Outerbridge Crossing. 2 1/2 hours by train may be quicker on a Friday in the summer.
I would agree with analise that trip could take a very long time via car on a friday. I wouldnt dream of sitting in a cab with a quick ticking meter (It's 40 cents/per minute of waiting time in stop or slow traffic.) If your gonna do the car take a car service if not take the airtrain-lirr-new jersey transit combo.
cheers
howie
Old May 24, 2007, 12:23 pm

just adding agreement to the above posts...

Being on the road in NYC on a Summer Fri afternoon should be avoided at all costs. Really. You will be stuck in complete gridlock for much of your trip.

Take the trains through Penn Station. The trip will be quicker this way.

If you do decide to get in a car svc/cab, try taking the Verazzano ($8) through Staten Island over to NJ. Might be out of the way and you will still crowded, but trying to traverse Manhattan should simply not be considered unless you really enjoy sitting in traffic.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

oh my I thought one of you had some magic secret information I guess I most likely take the airtrain/LIRR and the path to NJ

Just one more question: it`s been long (10y) since I was in NY/NJ - Can I buy path tickets only at penn station?

Thx, Bianca

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.