Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK --> Somerville, NJ

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Beetxl
Just one more question: it`s been long (10y) since I was in NY/NJ - Can I buy path tickets only at penn station?
Only if it's Newark Penn Station. The PATH trains don't go into Penn Station New York. PATH stations and NJ Transit machines (except those in NY Penn) all sell PATH tickets. Or if you have a metrocard, that too can work on the PATH train unless it's an unlimited metrocard which does not.

Even with all of this info, why would you have a need for the PATH train?
Old May 24, 2007, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

analise - i am finally confused I somehow thought I have to take the path from ny penn station to somewhere to NJ/ change to Raritan valley line and thats it. Can`t believe I took this route every weekend in 1999 for almost 8 month and can`t remember a single fact right
Old May 24, 2007, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by PinHoLe2003
just adding agreement to the above posts...

Being on the road in NYC on a Summer Fri afternoon should be avoided at all costs. Really. You will be stuck in complete gridlock for much of your trip.

Take the trains through Penn Station. The trip will be quicker this way.

If you do decide to get in a car svc/cab, try taking the Verazzano ($8) through Staten Island over to NJ. Might be out of the way and you will still crowded, but trying to traverse Manhattan should simply not be considered unless you really enjoy sitting in traffic.
Verazzano goes to brooklyn the outbridge crossing or the gothals bridge would be the way to get from SI to NJ. From jfk you take the airtrain to jamaica then the LIRR to NYP. From there you take the New jersey transit either (northeast corridor or north jersey coast line train) to newark penn and there you switch to the rarritan valley line.
cheers!
howie
Old May 24, 2007, 2:17 pm

Bianca, it's been 9 years for you plus there have been all kinds of changes. So it's not so bad. Who wants to remember the PATH anyway?

For where you are going, the PATH isn't helpful. The Airtrain is new and is a helpful addition to public transport even though it doesn't deliver you to Manhattan. Just follow the signs from baggage claim. You'll have to go outside, cross the street, and then enter a building which will lead you to the Airtrain. Take the Airtrain to Jamaica. There are multiple trains so be sure you embark on the correct train. There is usually an employee in a burgundy blazer/vest who can help. At Jamaica, you'll pay for this trip. Just go to the machine and purchase a $5 metrocard. That's it. Use it at the turnstyle. Follow signs to LIRR (just walk across actually). There is a ticket machine at the end which you can use to buy a ticket to NY Penn. Your wait for a train will not be more than 10 minutes. There could be one already there. Sit toward the back end of the train. At Penn, walk to the main ticket area and you will see escalators going up. Take them. You will then see NJ Transit (in marble) in front of you. Find a machine and buy a ticket to Somerville. Have a copy of the NJ Transit schedule with you (print from their website) so you know which train to board to Newark Penn Station. It's about a 15-20 minute ride. Your train to Somerville (the Raritan Valley Line) will probably be across the platform.

No question that this a bit cumbersome but if time is more important than car-service comfort, this is the way to do it. I can't stand sitting in traffic no matter who comfy the back seat is. But that's just me.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Old May 24, 2007, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Bianca, it's been 9 years for you plus there have been all kinds of changes. So it's not so bad. Who wants to remember the PATH anyway?
yeah you're right ( i did consider it might have been too much partying before going back to Nj those days, can't be )

no really thx alot for your detailled instructions I am gonna print it off and use it in case I have no clue what to do next

i hope I will remember some as soon as I enter NYP, cause some of your details do sound familiar ...
Old May 24, 2007, 7:49 pm

I agree that the trains are probably the most reliable way to get there at rush hour, and far, far cheaper than a car service.

As Analise explained, JFK-(Airtrain)-Jamaica-(LIRR)-NYPenn-(NJT)-NewarkPenn-(NJT)-Somerville is what you want.

There are slightly cheaper ways involving buses, the A or E train and the PATH. But if speed matters, the above routing is definitely the way to go.

Of course the FASTEST way is probably to take a helicopter from JFK to Manhattan, then another to EWR, and then take a car from there. But that's going to be more than $100.
Old May 24, 2007, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Although AirTrain to LIRR to NJ Transit will most likely be fastest on a Friday afternoon, if you consider all the transfers to be too onerous, here's a compromise: take a taxi from JFK to Penn Station (flat rate of $45 plus tip and $4.00 toll, so you don't have to worry about the meter if you should get stuck in traffic), and then take the train from there. More expensive and more time consuming, but less schlepping.
Old May 25, 2007, 5:30 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
You won't need PATH tickets, you can buy your LIRR ticket ($12 which includes the $5 AirTrain fee) at the JFK train station (or just take the E train for $2) both go to Penn Station NY and run pretty regularly.
http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm
You will also have to pay $5 for the AirTrain from the Airport to the train station itself. Figure 40 min to 1 hr for that part of your trip.
At Penn Station NY you will have to take a NJ Transit train to Newark NJ Penn Station (same name--different state/station) All NJ Transit trains go to Penn Station in NJ- there you will have to change to a Raritan Valley Line train to Somerville. http://www.njtransit.com/sf_tr_sched...=5%2F25%2F2007
You can purchase a ticket for the full trip (NY Penn Station --changing in Newark-- to Somerville ) in NY. You'll be travelling during Peak time so, the one way fare is $11.50 if you buy it before getting on the train, if you purchase it on the train it will cost you $5.00 more -or $16.50
Timewise, you are looking at:
JFK-NY Penn Station - 40 min to 1 hr (I'm factoring in walking to the station, waiting for the train etc.)
NY Penn to Newark Penn - 20 minutes
~~~~Wait time at Penn Station Newark ??? Depends upon when you get there on Fri evening. Trains run from there to Somerville about every 30 mins
Newark Penn to Somerville - 45 minutes

So what it comes down to cost wise is between $11.50 - 18.50 and timewise between 2 1/2 to 3 hrs... But you will be shlepping your bags the whole way off and on trains, up and down stairs etc.
Old May 25, 2007, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by mauld
All NJ Transit trains go to Penn Station in NJ.
mauld, that's actually not the case. The Midtown-Direct trains do NOT go to Newark Penn Station. I'm on that train twice a day. They go to Broad Street Newark which is a separate station.

Also, there are some Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coastline trains (both NJ Transit) which skip Newark Penn Station as they are more express.

That's why I recommended that Bianca print her customized schedule online first and then use it when she gets to NYP.
Old May 25, 2007, 8:58 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by Analise
mauld, that's actually not the case. The Midtown-Direct trains do NOT go to Newark Penn Station. I'm on that train twice a day. They go to Broad Street Newark which is a separate station.

Also, there are some Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coastline trains (both NJ Transit) which skip Newark Penn Station as they are more express.

That's why I recommended that Bianca print her customized schedule online first and then use it when she gets to NYP.
Analise, yes you are correct on the first point--- but all NEC & NJC trains do stop in Newark (I'm on NEC 2 twice a day). I think one or two of the Amtrak/Acela skip it though. I gave her the link for NYC-Somerville that shows the connections. I think it will come down to how much of a hassle she thinks changing trains, lugging baggage etc is, after a long flight is vs paying $$ for a car service from JFK.
Old May 25, 2007, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mauld
Analise, yes you are correct on the first point--- but all NEC & NJC trains do stop in Newark (I'm on NEC 2 twice a day). I think one or two of the Amtrak/Acela skip it though.
You're right, we both learned something! I thought some of the Transit trains were like Amtrak in that matter.

I think it will come down to how much of a hassle she thinks changing trains, lugging baggage etc is, after a long flight is vs paying $$ for a car service from JFK.
No question. Car service is more comfortable. I like guv1976's idea of taking a taxi to New York Penn and then catching the NJ transit trains. If Bianca can get out of the airport by 3:30, she might miss a lot of the traffic but after 3:30, the Van Wyck and the LIE can be a nightmare. But at least the meter won't be ticking. Bianca, one of the changes which has occured in the past 9 years is that taxis charge a fixed rate back to any part of Manhattan as guv1976 explained. The fixed rate applies also to JFK from Manhattan. That's one less headache while sitting in traffic.

The airtrain has a nice view of the city and in particular, it goes over the Van Wyck so you have a nice view of the bumper-to-bumper traffic you are passing by ever so quickly!
Old May 25, 2007, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Since I don`t know how long immigration will take assuming the flight will be on time at 2.55 I might decide just the minute I have my baggage and are ready to go

Nevertheless I will be packed with all the helpful information all of you gave me - thanks alot! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.