Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Suggested itinerary for walking tour from Lower Manhattan to Central Park

Old Apr 1, 07, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

New York City is a big place. I'll start with the following...

Start in lower Manhattan (the Wall St area) and head north. Get a good map.

1. Take a free ride on the Staten Island ferry (with an immediate return). Spectacular views of NYC (and Brooklyn)

2. On arrival back in NYC, walk north along the Hudson River (on your left) and head to the Wall Trade center site.

3. Walk east on Wall Street (just ask anyone) to the East River.

4. Make a left (north) and head to South Street. Some shopping, views, and an old ship or 2.

5. Continue north to Chinatown. Explore Canal Street, Mott St etc.

6. Walk north on Mott St into Little Italy. Explore. EAT! Have italian pastries at Ferrara's on Grand Street, corner Mott.

Wear comfortable shoes.

7. On Grand St, make a left to Broadway. Make a right on Broadway and walk to Prince Street. Make a left as you head into SOHO. Head to West Broadway. You can make lefts and rights and explore.

8. Go right on W. Broadway to Bleecker Street. Make a left as you head into the heart of Greenwich Village.

Continue along Bleecker St crossing 6th Ave. It gets better as you walk this way (west). There's a very over-rated and snooty bakeshop called Magnolia's towards the end. Greta cupcakes and old fashioned layer cake.

9. After lunch... just kidding

Don't forget the usual places such as:

Empire State Building 5th ave/34th street.
Rockefeller Center 49th Street between 5/6 Ave. The XMAS TREE is here.
Window shopping on 5th Ave.

Walk north to Central Park.

Walk on Broadway between 72 and 96 street for a real NYC feel.

Have fun.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 1, 07 at 12:12 pm Reason: Post split off from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7499242 for clarity
Old Apr 1, 07, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Carlson Gold
I believe that dhammer53 has posted this ititinerary before. It's well thought out, but I'd like to make a couple of suggestions based on personal experience.

You'll be walking through Battery Park on your way to the World Trade Center site. Be sure to stop and see "The Sphere". This sculpture has far more meaning to me then the WTC site itself (which at this point simply looks like a large construction site). Try to imagine this scuplture sitting in the middle of a fountain on the plaza between the two towers, and then observe the damage it sustained on 9/11.

After leaving Battery Park, bear left (along the Hudson River as suggested) and walk past Battery Park City. The Museum of Jewish Heritage and the Skyscraper Museum are nearby. Walk through the Winter Garden. The Winter Garden was significantly damaged on 9/11, but it's been beautifully restored. There are quite a few shopping and dining oportunities here. Climb the marble stairs for your first view of the WTC site.

Walk E to Broadway and look for St. Paul's Chapel which has a long and interesting history - most recently as a place of rest and refuge for 9/11 recovery workers. Walk S on Broadway and have a look inside Trinity Church at the top of Wall St. The graveyard is also worth a quick look. Continue down Wall St as suggested.

After exploring Chinatown, I recommend walking W on Canal St and then N on Mulberry St into Little Italy. Urban legend says that there's a zoning law that requires the restaurants and stores on Mulberry St (as opposed to Mott St) to remain Italian (or they'd all be Chinese by now). Make sure to stop in at Di Palo's Fine Foods across the street from Ferrara's.

As you walk N on Broadway from Grand St, be sure to stop in at Pearl River Mart for an interesting shopping experience.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 1, 07, 4:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Window shopping on 5th Ave.
What is this "window shopping" thing you speak of?
Old Apr 1, 07, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
What is this "window shopping" thing you speak of?
The department store windows across from Rockefeller Center at 49th street.
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/store...label3=default

Choclolate shops too! Teuschers http://www.virtualnyc.info/directory.../chocolate.htm

My original post was separated from another post that was discussing things New York and vicinity.
Old Apr 1, 07, 5:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
The department store windows across from Rockefeller Center at 49th street.
dear dan, i know the stores ... i just tend to come out with lots of shopping bags and not one has ever had a window in it ...
Old Apr 2, 07, 1:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
New York City is a big place. I'll start with the following...
I hate to do this, but I think it behooves we New Yorkers to be precise with the information we give visitors. I hope you agree.

Start in lower Manhattan (the Wall St area) and head north.
The next stop on this itinerary is actually south.

1. Take a free ride on the Staten Island ferry (with an immediate return). Spectacular views of NYC (and Brooklyn)
Brooklyn and Staten Island have been a part of the City of New York since 1898. Time to update your records.

2. On arrival back in NYC, walk north along the Hudson River (on your left) and head to the Wall Trade center site.

3. Walk east on Wall Street (just ask anyone) to the East River.
a) You never left New York city with this route.

b) Wall Street does not intersect either West Street or Church Street, the west and east borders of the World Trade Center location. The beginning of the western end of Wall Street is at Broadway.

7. On Grand St, make a left to Broadway. Make a right on Broadway and walk to Prince Street. Make a left as you head into SOHO. Head to West Broadway. You can make lefts and rights and explore.
You can make a left or a right but if you are heading west from Ferrara's, you had better make a right if you wish to head NORTH to Prince Street.
Old Apr 2, 07, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Start in lower Manhattan (the Wall St area) and head north.

Downtown Manhattan, and the Financial district has always been referred to as the Wall St area.

Do you see the #1 up above? (same goes for #2). The trip begins at #1.
Would you have been more comfortable if I had written Manhattan, rather than NYC?

b) Wall Street does not intersect either West Street or Church Street
I never said it did.

You can make a left or a right but if you are heading west from Ferrara's, you had better make a right if you wish to head NORTH to Prince Street.

My statement above, #7 is correct. Please re-read it.
Old Apr 2, 07, 11:20 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Ahem....back to basics! For those who love touristy stuff like me, I always take visitors on the NBC Studio Tour on 49th and for a ride on the sunset Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan.
Old Apr 9, 07, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Marysunshine View Post
Ahem....back to basics! For those who love touristy stuff like me, I always take visitors on the NBC Studio Tour on 49th and for a ride on the sunset Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan.
When you go on the NBC studio tour, you can get a combo ticket that adds on a walking tour of Rockefeller Center, which I recommend highly. (You can also get the walking tour on its own) You get a unique perspective of the buildings that make up Rockefeller Center from an artistic, historical, business, and architectural standpoint. It sounds boring, but the narrative and historical facts you get about NY (and the Rockefeller family) on this tour are quite fascinating.

The walking tour was actually the highlight of my last weekend trip to NY, and I actually liked it more than the NBC studio tour. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
Old Apr 9, 07, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
For those who have the stamina to add an extra mile of walking to this great walking tour (really the only way to see NY), start your tour by taking the subway to the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn (where one should spend some time if they can), just over the Brooklyn Bridge. (The A train to the High Street station is the most convenient, but the 2, 3, 4, 5, N and R trains also will work.) Then walk back to Manhattan (aka "the City" in local parlance, Landing Gear's objections notwithstanding). You can then walk south to the Staten Island Ferry and pick up dhammer53's terrific itinerary from there.
Old Apr 9, 07, 1:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The next rude or uncivil post will find this thread closed.

cblaisd
Senior Moderator

EDIT: Topic Check! The topic is " Things to do in NYC" Are there thoughts on that topic that are civil and helpful?

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 10, 07 at 2:29 am
Old Apr 10, 07, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
For those who have the stamina to add an extra mile of walking to this great walking tour (really the only way to see NY), start your tour by taking the subway to the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn (where one should spend some time if they can), just over the Brooklyn Bridge. (The A train to the High Street station is the most convenient, but the 2, 3, 4, 5, N and R trains also will work.) Then walk back to Manhattan (aka "the City" in local parlance, Landing Gear's objections notwithstanding). You can then walk south to the Staten Island Ferry and pick up dhammer53's terrific itinerary from there.
A excellent suggestion by Blumie. If you want to avoid some backtracking (it's about a mile from when you exit the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge all the way down to South Ferry), you might want to start with dhammer53's itinerary through step 4 and then walk up Fulton St from the South Street Seaport to the corner of William St and take the A or C train one stop from there to Brooklyn and walk the bridge.

When you're done with the bridge, head north on Centre St past the Federal and State court houses (you may recognize them from "Law and Order"), and then head E on Worth St to Chatham Sq which is the the southern gateway to Chinatown.
Old Apr 10, 07, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA and HH
I was in NYC for literally 30 hours and followed dhammer's itenerary and did all of it by the end of one day. My flight got in at noon on a Sat. and was done by 9 pm and I even rode the subway to TS and walked around there. The next day I walked around the outskirts of TS and central park and was at the airport by 5. Granted I didnt sleep but 7 hours I got everything done and had a blast.
Old Apr 11, 07, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gbryan84 View Post
I was in NYC for literally 30 hours and followed dhammer's itenerary and did all of it by the end of one day. My flight got in at noon on a Sat. and was done by 9 pm and I even rode the subway to TS and walked around there. The next day I walked around the outskirts of TS and central park and was at the airport by 5. Granted I didnt sleep but 7 hours I got everything done and had a blast.
Dan, I don't think you can get better endorsements than this.
Old May 15, 07, 1:26 pm

I am going to be in NYC for three days, and in addition to dhammer53 Manhattan ideas, any other places I should see.

I am going to be staying at EWR and communicating in each day.

I was thinking of going to the Chrysler Building, Central Park, NBC Studios, Empire State Building. Any suggestions would be appreciated. . . .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: