Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steakhouses in NYC (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:45 am
Commander Catcop

paulcimino...

I'm so glad you had a great time at Old Homestead. That Gotham steak is such heaven I hope they serve it there. They also do a great lobster bisque and have a very nice wine list.

Making my hungry reading this.

You are correct about London and steak but have you tried Trader Vic's at the London HIlton? It is a chain and they are a little pricey but they made a good steak:

http://www.tradervics.com/rest-london.html

The tropical drinks are a nice complement to the food. Making me more hungry thinking of Vic's.

Next time you are in NYC and time permits you should try hooking up with some FT-ers (I call the NYC FT crew the Alley Cats.) We are a "normal" bunch who love miles an dpoints and, most of us, steaks.

We may disagree on the best steak place... like I'm in the small minority who gives major hairballs to Peter Lugar's. I've already talked in length on my negative experiences there.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jedison
My personal favorite is Peter Luger, but you have to leave your ego at the door.
I'm not sure what this means.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:55 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I'd like to suggest a lesser known place to grab a steak, and it's not a conventional steakhouse.

We've eaten several times at Buenos Aires, a small Argentinean place on East 6th St (Bet A and B) and the steaks are always tender, juicy, and delicious. For those looking for something off the beaten path... (and far less fancy than the places being discussed in this thread - also far less expensive )
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:35 am

Frank Bruni (the chief restaurant critic at the NYT) gave out a coveted star today to a steakhouse:

http://events.nytimes.com/2007/02/28...ws/28rest.html

Which one? Robert's at the Penthouse Executive Club. That's a steakhouse in a strip club, for those unfamiliar. Go figure.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
As we were driving in yesterday my wife was laughing her backside off over that review. I never in a million years would have expected something that funny from him, I pictured him as some old secret reviewer who went in with a hat and trench coat.

It does make you want to try it though.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:49 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Some are speculating that the review of the Penthouse Club's steak joint is really just meant to stick it to Jeffery Chodorow after he blew up at Frank's review of Kobe Club (0 stars). "See, even a strip joint has better food!"
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by daveland
Some are speculating that the review of the Penthouse Club's steak joint is really just meant to stick it to Jeffery Chodorow after he blew up at Frank's review of Kobe Club (0 stars). "See, even a strip joint has better food!"
Except that Bruni states in the review that he was there on Valentine's Day, which is before Chodorow had his little full-page hissy fit.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:14 pm

Bull and Bear

No one here has said the Bull and the Bear in the Waldorf. I love the bar, they pour a stiff drink. Dining room is small, steaks are good and I think the best hash browns in the city. Staff is first class,
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
I second Ben Bensons. I have always had good steaks there. If you are feeling adventurous try the Argentine Pavillion on 46th I think. Not much to look at but they have a huge open grill that they cook great cuts of beef on. They make a mean Martini and are definately worth a try.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by themicah
Which one? Robert's at the Penthouse Executive Club. That's a steakhouse in a strip club, for those unfamiliar. Go figure.
IIRC Heston Blumenthal visited that steakhouse in his recent TV series "In Search of Perfection" for ideas on how to prepare and cook steak. If he rates it then it must be pretty decent.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:44 pm

by far sparks
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:08 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Had dinner last night at Wolfgang's Tribeca. I am not such a huge steak eater, and I've never been to Luger's so I can't directly compare, but I thought the sirloin was very good. Would have liked to try the porterhouse, but unfortunately my dining companion prefers his meat significantly more dead than I do. He was quite happy with the filet mignon.

Followed by a nightcap at the Brandy Library on N. Moore, it made for a very pleasant evening (although a wee bit of a fuzzy head this morning).
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: UA; DL;
BLT Prime

I've been Sparks, Peter Luger's, S&W and Old Homestead. BLT Prime wins for meat and ambiance and those popovers are awesome. They also have great wine and desserts!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:56 pm

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Hi, how much are we talking here? I am on a very tight budget and it seems that Peter Luger's is only a few steps away from the $30 a night flop house I call home when in New York. Ball park figure for a meal for one?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by BigVince76
Hi, how much are we talking here? I am on a very tight budget and it seems that Peter Luger's is only a few steps away from the $30 a night flop house I call home when in New York. Ball park figure for a meal for one?
According to menupages a single steak is $37.95. That doesn't include sides, beverages, tax or tip, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.