Wiki Posts
Search

Steakhouses in NYC (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by stimpy
Just a note for anyone thinking of Ruth's Chris on 51st in Manhattan. Don't bother. I really enjoy Ruth's Chris in Beverly Hills, but this one is not at all the same or as good.

The nearby Morton's is quite good though. Great bar too.
It’s a crime against humanity to go to any of these national chain restaurants when in NYC.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Blumie
It’s a crime against humanity to go to any of these national chain restaurants when in NYC.
I agree in general, but this is Flyertalk where we exploit fidelity programs. And I had my annual Landry's birthday $25 coupon to use. And Morton's is a really, really good chain.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
+1

If I'm eating red meat in NYC that isn't a burger it's at Smith and Wollensky
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
+1 If I'm eating red meat in NYC that isn't a burger it's at Smith and Wollensky
Oh the $22 burger is not good at there?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Just in case anyone reading stumbles across this thread in the future, the difference between Luger's and other NYC steakhouses... Luger's is cash only.

dh
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
No clue, never tried it
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Just a note for anyone thinking of Ruth's Chris on 51st in Manhattan. Don't bother. I really enjoy Ruth's Chris in Beverly Hills, but this one is not at all the same or as good....
No surprises there. Ruth's Chris is a wildly inconsistent chain. There are some that are great and some that are barely fit for your dog's dinner.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:19 pm

Has anyone experienced steaks at Tuscany around 58th St ?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Just in case anyone reading stumbles across this thread in the future, the difference between Luger's and other NYC steakhouses... Luger's is cash only.

dh
Actually, they accept
the Peter Luger card, US checks with ID, US debit cards and cash.
https://peterluger.comthe Peter Luger Card, US checks with ID, US debit cards and cash.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Madone59
+1

If I'm eating red meat in NYC that isn't a burger it's at Smith and Wollensky
Originally Posted by Brighton Line

I don't think I have ever ordered a burger in one of the steakhouses in NYC I've been to. For burgers I have gone to burger joints like Burger Joint, Corner Bistro, PJ Clarke's and a few others. My recent favorite is PJ Clarke's. I have a doc (not a cardiologist) I have to see every three months that is a short walk from Clarke's and I always go before or after my appointment for lunch.
monitor likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I don't think I have ever ordered a burger in one of the steakhouses in NYC I've been to. For burgers I have gone to burger joints like Burger Joint, Corner Bistro, PJ Clarke's and a few others. My recent favorite is PJ Clarke's. I have a doc (not a cardiologist) I have to see every three months that is a short walk from Clarke's and I always go before or after my appointment for lunch.
I used to be a regular at PJ Clarkes in Chicago. I'll have to try it in NY. Thanks.

I recently went to a burger specialty place near Hudson Yards called Whitmans which was pretty good and relatively inexpensive. https://whitmansnyc.com/
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I used to be a regular at PJ Clarkes in Chicago. I'll have to try it in NY. Thanks.

I recently went to a burger specialty place near Hudson Yards called Whitmans which was pretty good and relatively inexpensive. https://whitmansnyc.com/
The one I go to is at 55th and 3rd Avenue. It's the original PJ Clarkes saloon, then speakeasy first built in the 1880s. Wood all around. Great ambiance and burgers. Also cold beer, oysters and all the comforts of a great neighborhood bar. Way smaller than the later ones.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
On a whim we quickly hoofed to Gallaghers after our show ended, and were seated right before the closing bell. We were not disappointed. In fact my son said it ranks in his top 3 of all time just below Swift & Sons in Chicago (a view which I share). Our filets were perfectly cooked, the broccoli was perfectly steamed and not slathered with unhealthy sauce, the salad was great - hard to find anything to fault here except the closing time (last seating at 10pm) which seems a bit early for the city that never sleeps. Service was exceedingly polite, unlike some others mentioned in this thread, and without the annoying "Hi my name is Brandy I will be your server tonight ... what are we having" nonsense.

Highly recommend if you are looking for something in Midtown/Broadway area.

Addendum: I see that I forgot to include our review for Del Friscos which we visited circa Dec. 2016. That was also an excellent experience, but not quite as good as Gallaghers.

Last edited by Boraxo; Apr 12, 2022 at 7:42 pm
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tourists seem to love Gallagher’s, but I question one’s ability to judge a steakhouse based on a filet. :-p
That said, I think they do dry age their own meat (not filets), so I suppose it could be good.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.