Steakhouses in NYC (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steakhouses in NYC (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
There are regular steakhouses and next tier there is Peter Luger (in Williamsburg).
Though that's debatable.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Though that's debatable.
I lived in NYC for 7 years, London for a year and now Dallas. Peter Luger's the best.

Easy menu(steak for 1, 2,3,4) Just plain old Porterhouse.

If you go to NYC, you MUST try it.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by ddavid1101
I lived in NYC for 7 years, London for a year and now Dallas. Peter Luger's the best.

Easy menu(steak for 1, 2,3,4) Just plain old Porterhouse.

If you go to NYC, you MUST try it.
Still debatable. Not saying it's not good, but it's not necessarily "the best".
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:27 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by visualAd
Any recommendations of where I might find a good steak? Preferably one that doesn't weigh more than me

Welcome to the NYC Forum, visualAd!

I've merged your thread into the existing Steakhouses thread provided by FlyinHawaiian. Please be sure to read upthread if you haven't already. Also, please check out our Sticky at the top of the forum, which has links to a number of other threads that may be of interest to you.

/Moderator
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Thanks dstan
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:50 am

^ It is overrated. There are plenty of places in NYC and the world which are "just as good".
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
^ It is overrated. There are plenty of places in NYC and the world which are "just as good".
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
I'm glad it worked out well for you. I was taken there ~2 years ago and found the waiter to be incompetent regarding ordering a petite filet medium rare. It came out medium and the waiter was annoyed that I dared send it back for a new one.

At the end of the meal, he never came around with the coffee and when he did, it was luke warm.

Again, I was a guest but I would NEVER set foot in there unless I had to be there.

This chain restaurant isn't an Italian restaurant by the way.
The waiter may have been incompetent but it is hard to get a steak cooked rare at Ruth's Chris. The sizzling platter does a number on the degree of doneness while it sits out waiting for pickup and is being carried to the table.

Aside from that, it appears to me that each Ruth's Chris has quite a bit of independence when it comes to sourcing of ingredients and the quality from place to place varies wildly.

I have been to one of them about a dozen times, almost entirely on business or by a default invitation that I could not refuse but will not voluntarily step into one on my own to pay with my own money for their inferior product.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Agreed. Peter Lugers is good and worth trying while in NYC because it is unique. However, its not my favorite steak in NYC. Ill take Del Friscos over Lugers any day of the week!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Although not known as a steakhouse, I've had the filet au poivre at Brasserie 8 1/2 (9 West 57th Street) on more than one occasion, and always found it to be excellent. And it's a pretty restaurant, too.

But gee, do I miss Christ Cella's.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:08 pm

although luger's is my favorite and is a must-try if you have never been -- sparks and keens are also two very highly regarded steakhouses, and if you enjoy mafia movies.... well... then it is quite clear which one you would enjoy the most
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Family of 4 heading over in a month. Any suggestions without breaking the bank please?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:52 pm

We dined at Peter Luger's last week and I've had better steaks elsewhere, though my family loved the creamed spinach. It's something to check off your NYC bucket list but I wouldn't go back again.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
How far in advance do you need to reserve Peter Luger (for 2)?

Originally Posted by jedison
My personal favorite is Peter Luger, but you have to leave your ego at the door.
Was really looking forward to dining here (it was kind of on my bucket list) but I am having second thoughts after reading the reviews of the staff. I don't expect waiters to kiss my ***, but when I'm paying this kind of money I don't expect a surly attitude, and friendliness is always a plus.

Is there a steakhouse in NYC that provides excellent service in addition to a good steak?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
How far in advance do you need to reserve Peter Luger (for 2)?

Was really looking forward to dining here (it was kind of on my bucket list) but I am having second thoughts after reading the reviews of the staff. I don't expect waiters to kiss my ***, but when I'm paying this kind of money I don't expect a surly attitude, and friendliness is always a plus.

Is there a steakhouse in NYC that provides excellent service in addition to a good steak?
The service at DelFrisco's is top notch. And i think they have the best steak as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.