Search

Why do NYers tend to hate New Jersey?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I have no idea about what you are talking.
History of the area.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:02 pm

New Jersey is quite nice.

The portions that you typically see entering/leaving NY are terrible, full of refineries and dirty. Since most people never explore the state they are left to judge everything by one bad area in the northern part that abuts the city.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:05 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I think it's a love hate relationship. Because NJ is not NYC. Because we can laugh at NJ. Because it stinks and the roads don't line up.

When you're young and broke, you live in NJ and claim NYers are pretencious. But you come into the city & party all night and all weekends. Then the second you can afford Manhattan apartment, you sell your car & move back and laugh back at NJers. Gradually, you have kids or you bought too many pairs of shoes, and you make more money, you get sick of living in a small cage, and what else can you do? You move back to NJ (because Brooklyn is now as expensive). And in couple more years, your kids grow up, you get tired of people laughing at you living in Jersey, you move to Arizona or Texas.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
really, as I said before,

NJ is nasty - you really don't want to come here - stay away.
Shhhhhsssh!
Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:34 am

Amen Mary, Amen! I would like to add that our beaches are ESPECIALLY nasty, so you really don't want to visit those, not duirng the summer, not ever.

God bless whoever decided to put EWR right where it is. Keeps a lot of vermin out of the nicer parts of the state.

Robin
Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:17 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Born in NJ currently living in NYC love both places....hate the holly hell out of Long Island.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
New Jersey is quite nice.

The portions that you typically see entering/leaving NY are terrible, full of refineries and dirty. Since most people never explore the state they are left to judge everything by one bad area in the northern part that abuts the city.
Huh? I just made a wrong turn in Camden a few weeks ago. Not pretty.

Honestly, I really don't care much for the state. I agree there are some nice areas but they are relatively few and far between. In general, taxes and crime are high. Those are two things that I don't really like to be high. I do kind of like the full serve gas as self serve prices. I like Italian women...there seem to be a fair number of them in NJ.

Originally Posted by monster
Jersey also seems to be completely covered with (mostly toll) highways
You know I think the toll road thing leaves a lot of visitors with a bad taste in their mouth. First impressions are everything and when you have to pay an admission tax to go to an area, some people tend not to like that. No, this is not unique to NJ but the tolls are pretty prominent.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
We living in Manhattan must put up with the Jersey high hair, their horrific driving in NYC, their demanding of a seat on the subway despite the fact that their fat a...s 42 waist will not fit anywhere (when they get on at Penn Station they ruin any sense of a pleasant trip on the subway), their drunkness (try taking an early morning train from Penn Station to EWR and see what I mean) and the fact that most of New Jersey outside of Manhattan is either swamps, smelly old factories, or just run down areas (again taking the train from Penn Station to EWR will validate that fact). And don't get me started on EWR.
You know what cracks me up is that I have a similar feeling about all the NYers in SFO. Many of them bring the same level of arrogance to San Francisco as is illustrated in your words about people from NJ. For some reason NYers feel entitled to go around the world comparing everything to NYC and constantly talking about how many of aspects of SF would be better if they were like NYC. (By the way, I love NYC...just hate the attitude)
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
You know what cracks me up is that I have a similar feeling about all the NYers in SFO. Many of them bring the same level of arrogance to San Francisco as is illustrated in your words about people from NJ. For some reason NYers feel entitled to go around the world comparing everything to NYC and constantly talking about how many of aspects of SF would be better if they were like NYC. (By the way, I love NYC...just hate the attitude)
If this post was written by a New Yorker it would be so much better.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:20 pm

The Jets and Giants are notable NYers that like NJ.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:04 am
cpx

Programs: Many

Keep it up.. and it would be worth visiting again

I dont know why, but I never liked driving to/from/through NJ.
This was the reason I started flying in the first place.

Its difficult to avoid NJ if you want to drive anywhere west or south.
I dont like CT either.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:05 am

NJ stinks? Anyone here ever taken a whiff of Manhattan in the summer? Absolutely disgusting.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:10 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by xamsx
NJ stinks? Anyone here ever taken a whiff of Manhattan in the summer? Absolutely disgusting.
yeap! the winds from the west
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by xamsx
Yes. Summer in the city is nasty, especially if having to stand on some subway platforms. But the EWR Airtrain station is no paradise even in the spring and fall.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
New York vs New Jersey, Texas vs Oklahoma... any other true state rivalries?
Northern California and Southern California.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.