Reload this Page >

Best way from New Haven to LaGuardia Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way from New Haven to LaGuardia Airport

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Originally Posted by lerasp
But living in NYC, I have to say city bus service is only marginally faster than walking, except in the middle of the night. and bus riders do not exemplify civility, if crowded. and the stops are every freaking block! I would really think twice about it.
I think the M60 is an exception to this rule- from 125 it goes right to the bridge, then to Astoria Blvd, both of which have pretty good traffic flow. When I lived in Midtown I would usually take the N to the M60 to get to LGA.
Old May 28, 2006, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lawchild
I think the M60 is an exception to this rule- from 125 it goes right to the bridge, then to Astoria Blvd, both of which have pretty good traffic flow. When I lived in Midtown I would usually take the N to the M60 to get to LGA.
Agreed with lawchild--this really isn't that bad a route as lerasp suggests, particularly on a Sunday, and if you're getting on at Lex (I have heard that it can be very slow if you're going all the way across 125th from the West Side, but I transfer from the 4 train and it's a pretty quick ride from there).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:55 am

MN to M60 is probably best

Originally Posted by tkey75
That's correct. I have done it. Not a fan of that route. The M60 is a looooooooooong ride - 1hr+ depending on traffic. That'd be a seriously long commute factoring in the Metro-North ride, which is anywhere from 2 hrs to 2.5 hrs, depending on the train. Also, toting luggage on the city bus would suuuuck! That's a busy route.

For future reference, all trains from NH stop at 125th, without exception. Most trains go express from Stamford, 125th being the next stop after that station.

Can you tell I may have done that route a time or two (or a time too many?)
I have done the M60 route at least 10 or so times. It is usually about half an hour from East 125th st. I've never had a trip as long as an hour. You're on the bridge/highway most of the time. I can't imagine a specific airport bus would be all that much faster. The M60 gets a bus lane for going through the toll and that's faster than regular driving when the traffic is heavy. I don't feel like it stops all the darn time or anything. That being said, if you're taking it to the west side, then manhattan will throw a lot of traffic at you, and it can take an hour. But the MN stop is on the East Side.

Also, the MN from New Haven is NOT 2-2.5 hours. That's just patently false! That is a trip I've taken about 100 times. 125th st is closer than Grand Central by 10-15 minutes and you don't have to navigate crowds to get off of the train. The train is also rarely late, especially compared to options like Amtrak. How long is the scheduled trip to 125th st from New Haven? Oh, about 95-105 minutes! That means it's pretty much never as much as 2 hours even under the worst conditions. 1.5 hrs is a better estimate (though it's a tiny bit longer.)

The most recent time I went from New Haven to LGA I was through security and at my gate only 2 hours after I had boarded my train in New Haven. It was a Monday morning, so I had an express MN train and I didn't have to wait more than 5 min for the M60. But yeah, it's really not that bad.

Also, the M60 buses now usually (or always?) have luggage racks. So the whole luggage-on-the-bus issue is not really an issue anymore.

All of this being said, if you need to get to/from LGA from New Haven and you're traveling at a weird time (so public transport options are bad), you are short on time, or you have a physical disability including issues such as tons of luggage, then you should probably just hire a car service. Might be $300+ round trip, though. Driving is definitely still faster than public transport.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:33 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As the OP's request is within the customary bounds of out Travel->NYC forum, I'll move the thread there for continued discussion/advice. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.