Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Stay in my apt with cats in Manhattan 4/19-4/23?

Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...

Been looking around on craig's list but nothing...also posted something there before my last big trip in November to Rome but no response...so figured I'd try Flyertalk!

Going to London for work. Have friends that live in the building who can cat sit but the cats get very lonely if they don't have folks here overnight, playing with them, loving them, etc. I guess what I'm looking for is a normal person who can travel on short notice, wants a free place to stay in Manhattan...and loves cats!

Leaving April 19 and returning April 23, so ideally you could come and go on those days also (or leave April 22). One bedroom, 9th floor, 24 hour doorman, UES apartment. Yes, I have references--yes, I would want some from you, just to be safe. I haven't done this with a stranger before but the friend in the building (who is a lawyer) suggested a refundable security deposit...open to other ideas.

Not looking for any money and don't want to be referred to anyone who wants money--just figured I could make a "win win" happen with someone here...

Regards,
Katherine

Edited to add a P.S.: Fellow New Yorkers may have a relative visiting then who could stay? I'm thinking the ideal candidate is your mom--you don't have room for her in your apartment-type thing, she can cook her own food and be out of your hair, she'd have some animal companions...
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Katherine, if I had cats or any kind of pets, I wouldn't post online to find perfect strangers to come into my apartment to take care of them. Pets are family and deserve to be cared for by people you know and trust. This is a big mistake. Find someone you know. Otherwise, leave enough food and water for the time you are away or pay your favorite doorman to check in once or twice.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Katherine, if I had cats or any kind of pets, I wouldn't post online to find perfect strangers to come into my apartment to take care of them. Pets are family and deserve to be cared for by people you know and trust. This is a big mistake. Find someone you know. Otherwise, leave enough food and water for the time you are away or pay your favorite doorman to check in once or twice.
Don't agree, obviously, or wouldn't have posted my original post.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by BettyKat
Don't agree, obviously, or wouldn't have posted my original post.
I guess not....I wouldn't trust my pets with strangers but I do wish you good luck. ^
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:54 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
How about sites like couchsurfing or stay4free
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
Have never heard of either one...opening new browser now to look at them both...
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Registered at both. Interesting concepts. Have an email in to couchsurfing--can't figure out how to proactively find someone (you can it seems only allow people to find your couch, but of course I have specific dates, etc.!). Same on stay4free.net...

...so these may not help with this but these were great to find, especially for future exchanges or when looking for a (free) place to stay. Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: marriott
my mom is perfect for this

my brother lives at 118 west 81st street, is that near you? my mother wants to come up there, but my brother and his wife have a very small studio apt and there is nowhere for my poor Mom to stay, she is 61 years young, non smoker, white female, loves animals, what else do you want to know? let me know so I can give her the details. not sure she would be keen on giving money as my Mom is kind of cheap.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janice1231
my brother lives at 118 west 81st street, is that near you? my mother wants to come up there, but my brother and his wife have a very small studio apt and there is nowhere for my poor Mom to stay, she is 61 years young, non smoker, white female, loves animals, what else do you want to know? let me know so I can give her the details. not sure she would be keen on giving money as my Mom is kind of cheap.
well, it's not that close (he's across town)...not opposed to it, of course--she sounds perfect--but to be honest, it will not convenient for her.

mention my location to your brother (77th and york) and he can judge for himself...i suspect he'll agree but let me know if i'm wrong!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:51 am
Commander Catcop

BettyKat...

Instead of a stranger... May I suggest a licensed, reputatble pet sitter. You can find one on this site:

http://www.petsit.com/

It's Pet Sitters International, an organization of individuals and outfits bonded and insured to take care of pets.

You type in your zip code and get a list of reputable pet sitters within your neighborhood.

I would love to help, but my Cat's MEOW Services only serves Hoboken and Jersey City.

Good luck. I would rather see you go with an established outfit than with a stranger as well.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Catman
BettyKat...

Instead of a stranger... May I suggest a licensed, reputatble pet sitter.... Good luck. I would rather see you go with an established outfit than with a stranger as well.
Great idea if you have no available friends, family or doorman to do this. ^ I'll still never understand soliciting a stranger on the internet to live in my home to take care of my beloved pets. Pets are family as far as I'm concerned.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Now have heard back from folks at couchsurfing on this, so figured I'd post for anyone else's benefit: you can't look for anyone for specific dates or cities they want to visit. You can only post a profile and hope someone finds you in a search--and then writes, and then wants to come on a specific date.

Haven't written to stay4free b/c I'm sure they're the same (registered and found the same site set-up)...

All of which is to say, these are good sites I think for their purpose but not this one. But I'm now registered on both so perhaps will look for someone's couch to surf in future...
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:41 pm

Betty -

I have used this woman in Queens - who travels to Manhattan to do this on a daily basis.

Its not what youre looking for but it is a recommendation. (She does charge).

[email protected]
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
BettyKat

Please see PM
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:38 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Originally Posted by satprof
BettyKat

Please see PM
Well on both of those sites they have calanders where you can check when you would want somebody to stay I figured you could just choose only the dates you wanted. I'm gonna send you a PM of a request I got whose dates match yours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.