Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Stay in my apt with cats in Manhattan 4/19-4/23?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stay in my apt with cats in Manhattan 4/19-4/23?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
Well on both of those sites they have calanders where you can check when you would want somebody to stay I figured you could just choose only the dates you wanted. I'm gonna send you a PM of a request I got whose dates match yours.
thanks for doing that--i didn't find the calendars on either site. saw your PM and will get in touch with folks separately. thanks for going out of your way to help!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Originally Posted by BettyKat
thanks for doing that--i didn't find the calendars on either site. saw your PM and will get in touch with folks separately. thanks for going out of your way to help!
Haha no problem...it's my good deed for the month
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
Haha no problem...it's my good deed for the month
Thanks to those who posted helpful things (most of you!).

Mods, I've found a match--can you close this thread?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Great idea if you have no available friends, family or doorman to do this. ^ I'll still never understand soliciting a stranger on the internet to live in my home to take care of my beloved pets. Pets are family as far as I'm concerned.
But you'd leave them alone with food and water and hope for the best?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But you'd leave them alone with food and water and hope for the best?
Not at all. I would have a friend come by to check on them. I do this for one of my closest friends who has two cats. When she goes away for a week, I check her cats every other day...change the litter, refill the water and food dishes plus spend time with them. They're adorable.

But didn't we discuss this last April?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Not at all. I would have a friend come by to check on them. I do this for one of my closest friends who has two cats. When she goes away for a week, I check her cats every other day...change the litter, refill the water and food dishes plus spend time with them. They're adorable.

But didn't we discuss this last April?
Actually, I was referring to your post where you said, "Otherwise, leave enough food and water for the time you are away...", in response to my post where I said I'd be gone for 6 days/5 nights. I took "leave enough food and water for the time you are away" to mean, leave them with enough food and water for a week, since that is the time I was going to be away. I must have misunderstood.

We did discuss this last April - and then, as part of a new year's clean-up, going through my Flyertalk to delete any old PMs and such, I refound this thread and reread it. At that time, I was really focused on finding someone to care for the cats, and so didn't pay too much attention to your post. When I reread the thread, though, I found your posts offensive and condescending - and not even remotely helpful in response to my question or even productive. For example:

"Pets are family and deserve to be cared for by people you know and trust. This is a big mistake."

And then later on, after I'd politely pushed aside whatever assumptions you'd made about how I care for my cats, you wrote:

"I'll still never understand soliciting a stranger on the internet to live in my home to take care of my beloved pets. Pets are family as far as I'm concerned."

And so on...

There was probably a better way to handle it - I could have probably just said, "I appreciate your opinion but your tone in these posts is condescending - there is a better way to express yourself that doesn't involve insulting people" - but hey, I'm human, and I redredged up the thread in a way that was sarcastic and not terribly productive! Long story short, apologies for responding to it again.

Happy new year,
Katherine

**Edited to reflect problem with tone/condescension, not advice itself.

Last edited by BettyKat; Jan 2, 2007 at 12:50 pm
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
So how did it work out?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
So how did it work out?
It worked out well. I got a response from a British gentleman/Flyertalk member (living and working for the WHO in continental Europe) who wanted to have a trip to New York - a fellow cat owner (one cat, in his case, I believe). I asked a lawyer friend of mine the best way to handle - I had a good feeling about him and had verified his employment, but you never know - and she suggested at least one phone call, references and a security deposit.

He came the night before we left and stayed until the day we came back - then finished his last night in NYC at a hotel before flying back - other than that last night, we were able to coordinate our schedules well enough that there was just the right amount of overlap (by non-NYC standards, a small 1BR apartment - so not terribly comfortable in accommodating a couple plus two cats and overnight guests).

In the end, we did the security deposit (refunded to him right after he left) and the phone call but I didn't check references - I would probably do it in some other cases but didn't feel it was necessary with him. It really worked out great, since he was able to enjoy a private apartment (and had a bit of feline companionship) and we felt comfortable knowing he was taking good care of the cats. We took him to dinner the night before we left and he bought us two bottles of wine he'd discovered as a welcome back present, but otherwise it was just a cat/house sitting arrangement. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
That sounds like a perfect arrangement. Maybe next time I fly, I'll consider having someone over to petsit.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We did discuss this last April - and then, as part of a new year's clean-up, going through my Flyertalk to delete any old PMs and such, I refound this thread and reread it. At that time, I was really focused on finding someone to care for the cats, and so didn't pay too much attention to your post. When I reread the thread, though, I found your posts offensive and condescending - and not even remotely helpful in response to my question or even productive. For example:

"Pets are family and deserve to be cared for by people you know and trust. This is a big mistake."

And then later on, after I'd politely pushed aside whatever assumptions you'd made about how I care for my cats, you wrote:

"I'll still never understand soliciting a stranger on the internet to live in my home to take care of my beloved pets. Pets are family as far as I'm concerned."

And so on...
Perhaps during your "new year's cleanup" you had some desire to be insulting. Cats will always be considered members of the family as far as I'm concerned and like any family member, I would never entrust my cats or dogs to a stranger. I never have. I wouldn't want a stranger in my home alone. Sorry you view my concerns about cats to be condescending; they are in fact what I do so I guess you can swallow that for 2007. I hope your new year goes on the positive from here on!
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
If this service is needed in 2007, I'd like to be pro-active and volunteer myself. :-)
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vatraveler
If this service is needed in 2007, I'd like to be pro-active and volunteer myself. :-)
Fair enough...although why you would want to stay in someone's house who would entrust a member of the family to strangers is beyond me!
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Fair enough...although why you would want to stay in someone's house who would entrust a member of the family to strangers is beyond me!
If you want a cat sitting I can suggest one that we've used many many times.
cheers
howie
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
If you want a cat sitting I can suggest one that we've used many many times.
cheers
howie
Sure - would love the referral.

Regards,
Katherine
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT,1.4MM
BettyKat, I think you did fine. Finding a professional pet sitter is still basically using a stranger. They may be insured but if something happens, that still doesn't give you your pet back. Some people always feel they need to voice their opinions, productive or not. Hey, kind of like I am doing now. lol Anyway, glad it worked out for you!

Happy New Year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.