Wiki Posts
Search

I work in the hotel industry in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, Asia Miles, Air France, AA, Marco Polo
Wink I work in the hotel industry in NYC

I am familiar with NYC hotels as we all compare rates and reservation occupancy with each other. If you need some info on best deals, packages, insider tips, I'll try to answer any questions the best that I can. NYC is a great city, Welcome.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dons888
I am familiar with NYC hotels as we all compare rates and reservation occupancy with each other. If you need some info on best deals, packages, insider tips, I'll try to answer any questions the best that I can. NYC is a great city, Welcome.
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Welcome to FT and be prepared to be asked questions.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:14 am

Welcome, dons888!

Could you tell us how to get the Ritz Carlton Central Park at a cheaper rate this summer?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Two questions about convention blocks:

1) At what point do hotels that are on the "official" housing list for a particular show, release the rooms that have not been booked by show attendees?

2) Do hotels that are not official hotels ever set aside rooms during show dates, in order to accomodate potential attendees who don't want to stay at one of the official places?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hairpeace
Welcome, dons888!

Could you tell us how to get the Ritz Carlton Central Park at a cheaper rate this summer?
Ritz Carlton is a 5 star, 5 Diamond hotel, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg But the summer season in NYC is kind of a slow season for tourists since NYC can be very hot so the rates are lower and so is the occupancy of hotels.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Two questions about convention blocks:

1) At what point do hotels that are on the "official" housing list for a particular show, release the rooms that have not been booked by show attendees?

2) Do hotels that are not official hotels ever set aside rooms during show dates, in order to accomodate potential attendees who don't want to stay at one of the official places?
In our particular hotel, which must not be named,

1.) The Reservations Manager or General Manager makes the call in releasing the rooms, some hotels are aggressive, they overbook the hotel and take into consideration the cancellations and no-shows, some are conservative, they never overbook. We set a cut-off date for the housing list, but we extend it if we feel like the trend will be slow.

2.) Spillovers are always welcome, make sure to ask for any package, promo rate, discounts for affiliations like AAA, AARP, Entertainment, Amex, etc.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:35 am

But the summer season in NYC is kind of a slow season for tourists since NYC can be very hot so the rates are lower and so is the occupancy of hotels.
Any tips how to get lower rates?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Exp
NewYork seems a lot harderto book rooms this year and ever room is more expensive. Is this just a feeling or reality?
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Constant Motion
NewYork seems a lot harderto book rooms this year and ever room is more expensive. Is this just a feeling or reality?
Yes, New York tourism is back at it's pre 9/11 levels, sometimes better so the average rates of rooms are now higher.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:05 am

Welcome and thanks for the kind offer. I'm sure many here will take advantage of your expertise.

I have a convention to potentially attend this summer, so I'll be watching for your posts to get a leg up.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
dons888, welcome, welcome, welcome to FT! Folks with your kind of expertise are pure gold to the rest of us here. I hope we can return the favor when you have questions of your own.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:57 am

Hi Dons888 .. Question.. I am taking my 21 yr old goddaughter to NYC 4/7-9 for a weekend. Haven't booked a hotel yet and seeing the normal high rates. Any suggestions for someplace fun say, between 175-250? Thanks! (ps.. she loves to shop!)
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:50 am

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
There are a few main shopping districts in NYC. There is SOHO, 5th Ave/Upper East Side(Bloomingdales and Barneys included) and 34th St. As well as a few places in Lower Manhattan (Century 21 is great). You can do quite well for 250 a night. I'm seeing
W Hotel The Tuscany for 260 a night on lodging.com
The Millenium Hilton which is directly across the street from Century 21 is comming up for 229 a night on Hotels.com
Signature Suites Greenwich Village for 205 on Worldres.com
The Swissotel-The Drake for 229 a night on onetravel.com

Download travelaxe and do a search.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr.Buffy
Hi Dons888 .. Question.. I am taking my 21 yr old goddaughter to NYC 4/7-9 for a weekend. Haven't booked a hotel yet and seeing the normal high rates. Any suggestions for someplace fun say, between 175-250? Thanks! (ps.. she loves to shop!)
Sorry for the late reply, I'm on my vacation right now here in Hawaii . April 7-9 is kinda near now, hope you were able to book a hotel already since the first two weeks of April is very busy in NYC and most hotels are on high occupancy if not full. Try calling around the hotels on the upper west side of manhattan. It is kind of off the beaten path and about 10-15 minutes away from midtown/theater district so the rates are not that astronomical. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.