Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by blumie
1. When leaving jfk, follow the signs to the airtrain. It's very well marked. You don't need a ticket until you get off. Make sure to take the jamaica station train.

2. At jamaica station, you'll need to purchase a $5 "metrocard" from one of the machines. You'll use this to exit the station. Then follow the signs to the lirr (long island railroad). It's very well marked.

3. Before boarding the lirr, purchase a ticket from the machine on the platform. Purchase a "peak" ticket if it's before 10am on a monday-friday; otherwise purchase an "off peak" ticket. The video monitors will show you what the track the next train to new york penn station will arrive on.

4. At new york penn station, follow the signs to njt (new jersey transit). It's very well marked. Find a ticket machine and purchase a ticket to ewr station. (go to their website to see if you need a peak or an off peak ticket.) look at the video monitors to determine which trains stop at ewr station. Trains that are marked "ewr" all stop at the ewr station.

5. When you get to ewr station, follow the signs to the airtrain to the terminals. It's very well marked. You'll need to use the ticket you purchased for the njt to get through the turnstyles to get to the airtrain.

6. Board the airtrain and take it to the appropriate terminal. It's very well marked.
thanks...looks easy.. Thanks a lot ..i print this think to no make a mistakes..
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by KITO
Originally Posted by blumie
1. When leaving jfk, follow the signs to the airtrain. It's very well marked. You don't need a ticket until you get off. Make sure to take the jamaica station train.

2. At jamaica station, you'll need to purchase a $5 "metrocard" from one of the machines. You'll use this to exit the station. Then follow the signs to the lirr (long island railroad). It's very well marked.

3. Before boarding the lirr, purchase a ticket from the machine on the platform. Purchase a "peak" ticket if it's before 10am on a monday-friday; otherwise purchase an "off peak" ticket. The video monitors will show you what the track the next train to new york penn station will arrive on.

4. At new york penn station, follow the signs to njt (new jersey transit). It's very well marked. Find a ticket machine and purchase a ticket to ewr station. (go to their website to see if you need a peak or an off peak ticket.) look at the video monitors to determine which trains stop at ewr station. Trains that are marked "ewr" all stop at the ewr station.

5. When you get to ewr station, follow the signs to the airtrain to the terminals. It's very well marked. You'll need to use the ticket you purchased for the njt to get through the turnstyles to get to the airtrain.

6. Board the airtrain and take it to the appropriate terminal. It's very well marked.
thanks...looks easy.. Thanks a lot ..i print this think to no make a mistakes..
The route outlined by blumie is convenient, and should only take about 75-90 minutes, but it will cost about $25. It is possible to get from JFK to EWR for less than $6, but it takes about three hours. How badly do you want to save money?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
4. At New York Penn Station, follow the signs to NJT (New Jersey Transit). It's very well marked. Find a ticket machine and purchase a ticket to EWR station. (Go to their website to see if you need a peak or an off peak ticket.) Look at the video monitors to determine which trains stop at EWR station. Trains that are marked "EWR" all stop at the EWR station.
The peak ticket from Penn Station to the Newark Airport station is $15.

If you want to save a few bucks, buy a ticket to the next station past the airport (Elizabeth) for $5.50 and just get off at the airport station (of course make sure you are on a train that stops there). You can buy an airtrain ticket there for another $5.50, for a total of $11. They overcharge for the airport because they know many people will pay it.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by cordelli
Originally Posted by Blumie

4. At New York Penn Station, follow the signs to NJT (New Jersey Transit). It's very well marked. Find a ticket machine and purchase a ticket to EWR station. (Go to their website to see if you need a peak or an off peak ticket.) Look at the video monitors to determine which trains stop at EWR station. Trains that are marked "EWR" all stop at the EWR station.

The peak ticket from Penn Station to the Newark Airport station is $15.

If you want to save a few bucks, buy a ticket to the next station past the airport (Elizabeth) for $5.50 and just get off at the airport station (of course make sure you are on a train that stops there). You can buy an airtrain ticket there for another $5.50, for a total of $11. They overcharge for the airport because they know many people will pay it.
Unlike the Long Island Rail Road, there are no "peak" or "off-peak" fares for one-way tickets on NJ Transit rail. One-ways are always sold at the full, non-discounted fare, unless you are a child, a senior, or a disabled passenger. Only roundtrip tickets are available at a discounted off-peak excursion fare. And no off-peak roundtrip excursion fares are offered to or from EWR. (But off-peak roundtrips are available to and from Elizabeth station.)

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 24, 2010 at 7:47 am
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:16 pm

JFK to Newark airport - arriving in JFK at 11PM

Hi. Read through the thread so far.

Situation is a friend and I arrive back in JFK from overseas at 11pm on a Sunday night. We leave from Newark airport at 6am the next (Monday) morning.

At that time of night, I'm thinking taxi and stay awake in Newark until security opens up.

thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:48 am

Rent a car for the night and find someplace along the way to snooze for a few hours. Pick it up in JFK and drop at EWR. I don't envy you, I cannot imagine much worse than flying into JFK and having to while away the night until a 6am flight from EWR. Is this a form of penance for you?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:30 pm

My JFK to EWR trip

Thanks to all of you for the info on this journey - I want to add my recent first-hand experience for anyone who lands on this thread later.

I had three hours to get from JFK to EWR a few weeks ago and wanted to take the trains. Here is how things worked out for me:

3:42p Got off the plane at JFK
3:50p Took AirTrain from Terminal 7
4:00p Arrived at Jamaica Station
4:14p Took LIRR toward Woodside
4:35p Arrived at NY Penn Station
5:05p Took NJ Transit to Newark
5:29p Arrived at Newark Intl Airport station
5:33p Took AirTrain to Terminal B
5:47p Arrived at Terminal B

That was cutting it a little close! The layover at Penn Station was longer than I had wished (30 minutes), and the AirTrain at Newark is sooo slow. But it all worked out.

Good luck to those of you giving it a shot!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:22 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks for reporting in, madsax!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by madsax
4:00p Arrived at Jamaica Station
4:14p Took LIRR toward Woodside
4:35p Arrived at NY Penn Station
5:05p Took NJ Transit to Newark
5:29p Arrived at Newark Intl Airport station
5:33p Took AirTrain to Terminal B
5:47p Arrived at Terminal B

That was cutting it a little close! The layover at Penn Station was longer than I had wished (30 minutes), and the AirTrain at Newark is sooo slow. But it all worked out.

Good luck to those of you giving it a shot!
An alternative route which is cheaper + requires fewer changes is to take the subway: E express from Sutphin to Port Authority, then the Olympia Trails bus directly to the airport. If all goes well, the schedule looks approximately like:

4:10p Board E express train at Sutphin Ave
4:45p Arrive 42nd St / Port Authority (8th Ave)
5:00p Board Olympia Trails bus at 41st / 8th
5:35p Arrive Terminal B at Newark

cost is $2.25 + $15 = $17.25 vs the $8 + $15 = $23 via train.

The main variable factor is Lincoln Tunnel traffic but once the bus gets into NJ they generally book it to the airport.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:28 am

JFK or LGA to EWR

Hi,

I've been following this thread and thanks to all for the useful information. I have an international flight out of EWR at 620pm, and am coming from RDU. RDU-EWR is expensive, and seems to be cheaper to do RDU-JFK, RDU-LGA or RDU-PHL. I guess I am left with RDU-JFK or RDU-LGA, in both cases reaching JFK or LGA around 3pm. I will not be having much luggage, and dont mind changes as long as I can get to EWR quickly. Which would be a better option? This is mid-week, btw.

Thanks much.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apat
Hi,

I've been following this thread and thanks to all for the useful information. I have an international flight out of EWR at 620pm, and am coming from RDU. RDU-EWR is expensive, and seems to be cheaper to do RDU-JFK, RDU-LGA or RDU-PHL. I guess I am left with RDU-JFK or RDU-LGA, in both cases reaching JFK or LGA around 3pm. I will not be having much luggage, and dont mind changes as long as I can get to EWR quickly. Which would be a better option? This is mid-week, btw.

Thanks much.
Are you checking any luggage?

Ordinarily, I would suggest flying into JFK, and then taking the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica ($5.00); the Long Island RR to New York Penn Station ($5.75); and then NJ Transit to EWR rail station ($11.00 or $15.00, depednding on how you ticket it -- see the Frequent Flyer Wiki for details on the money-saving option). Be aware that there is a gap in service from NYP to EWR between 4:27 PM and 5:05 PM; if you do not make the 4:27 (or earlier) train from NYP to EWR, I would take the first train from NYP to Newark Penn Station ($4.00), and then the NJ Transit #62 bus ($1.35) from there to the airport.

The only complicating factor is that one of JFK's four runways is out of service for the next couple of months, and that might cause an arrival delay of your flight, depending on weather or other factors. That said, I would probably still opt for JFK, as it provides the faster public transportation option to Penn Station.

If you opt to fly into JFK, you can save a few cents -- and more importantly, a couple of minutes -- by purchasing your Long Island Rail Road off-peak ticket from Jamaica to NYP by mail. Tickets typically arrive within five days of being ordered.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 3, 2010 at 11:12 am
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:21 pm

Thanks. Good to know of the gap from 427 pm to 507pm. I will not have any checked luggage, and don't mind taking a cab for some segment of the transfer if that will save time.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Good to know of the gap from 427 pm to 507pm. I will not have any checked luggage, and don't mind taking a cab for some segment of the transfer if that will save time.
The only part of the transfer where a taxi might save time is if you end up taking NJ Transit to Newark Penn Station rather than EWR rail station. And you should only do that if you find yourself in the "service gap" from NYP to EWR.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 3, 2010 at 9:21 pm
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:18 am

I have an international flight out of EWR at 620pm, and am coming from RDU. RDU-EWR is expensive, and seems to be cheaper to do RDU-JFK, RDU-LGA or RDU-PHL. I guess I am left with RDU-JFK or RDU-LGA, in both cases reaching JFK or LGA around 3pm.
There is always the potential for delays when connecting and if you have separate tickets for RDU-JFK/LGA then EWR-xxx the airline will not protect you if you do not make it to EWR in time for your international flight. You would then have to pay rebooking fees, any fare difference, as well as worry about when the next available flight is and find accomodations until then. I don't know what fare difference you are looking at, but the cost if the connection doesn't work out could get very expensive.

For a 6:20pm dept out of EWR (transatlantic rush hour) you should arrive at EWR no later than 5pm if you have no bags to check. With bags, 4:30pm or even earlier. Given that airport to airport travel time by public transport is ~3hrs, you would need to arrive at JFK/LGA by 2pm, not 3pm.

If you are willing to spring for a cab to save time, you might as well take the direct JFK-EWR shuttle or even use a car service or rent a car.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-a...nnections.html
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:57 am

one thing out-of-towners might not realize is how much dwell time + movement are required at each transfer step in the JFK-EWR chain:

JFK->Airtrain JFK: walk to Airtrain elevator (up to 10mins depending on terminal). Wait for elevator to platform. Wait for Airtrain to Jamaica to arrive.

Airtrain->LIRR: buy Airtrain ticket to exit. at LIRR ticket machine, buy separate ticket to Penn Sta. Wait for next train to Penn Sta.

LIRR->NJ Transit: walk from LIRR to NJT areas of Penn Sta. wait in line for next NJT ticket machine, buy NJT ticket. Wait for next train to EWR.

NJ Transit->Airtrain EWR: up escalators to bridge, down escalators to Airtrain. wait for next Airtrain. wait on Airtrain 10mins to get to Terminal C, 15 to Terminal A. down escalators to terminal.

The public transport option involves a fair amount of hassle compared to the convenience of hopping onto a shuttle and being directly driven to EWR departures level. IMHO it's primarily for cheapskates with a lot of time or public transit railfans who want to experience NYC's transit options

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.