Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by mtensioners
I have an LH flight arriving 20:20 Dec 1, EWR on LH, and am looking at an 8 am departure JFK. Is there alot of traffic at that time on Thursday am to make a connection difficult if I stay at EWR Hotel? I was warned it could take several hours to clear immigration and customs from MUC at EWR and did not want to book a room at JFK if I cant get out of customs until 11 pm at the earliest? That would make an arrival at the JFK hotel after midnight and a 5 am wake up for an 8 am flight. Is this correct?
If you go in the morning, figure at least 90 minutes by car - more if there's any problems on the Verrazano Bridge. If you go the night before, it would be more like 40 minutes.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by mtensioners
I have an LH flight arriving 20:20 Dec 1, EWR on LH, and am looking at an 8 am departure JFK. Is there alot of traffic at that time on Thursday am to make a connection difficult if I stay at EWR Hotel? I was warned it could take several hours to clear immigration and customs from MUC at EWR and did not want to book a room at JFK if I cant get out of customs until 11 pm at the earliest? That would make an arrival at the JFK hotel after midnight and a 5 am wake up for an 8 am flight. Is this correct?
It absolutely should not take several hours to clear immigration and customs, but regardless you're better off transfering to JFK late at night. It could be a total nightmare in the morning, even at an early hour.

As for your JFK flight, there really is no need to get to JFK more than 90 minutes in advance. If it's a domestic flight, I routinely arrive about 60 minutes in advance.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: One World and Star Alliance
JFK to Newark Liberty

What's the best and quickest way of getting from JFK to Newark?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, ftpab!

I've merged your thread into the existing thread on this topic, which is linked from the Sticky thread at the top of the page. Please be sure to read the thread from the beginning as there should be some answers to your question upthread.

/Moderator
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by ftpab
What's the best and quickest way of getting from JFK to Newark?
Private heli.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Private heli.
007 jet pack.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:39 am

connection Newark - JFK

I arrive at Newark 08/25/11 at 17.20 and i have a connection at Jfk at 21.00
Which is the fastest way to reach Jfk.
Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Probably by rail. Take the Airtrain (though its actually a monorail not a train) to EWR station, take a NJTransit train to New York Penn Station, transfer to LIRR and take a train to Jamaica, take the Airtrain to JFK.

If all goes well, it should take 1.5 hrs, could very well take 2 hrs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cp...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Another option is to take a bus to Port Authority or Grand Central from Newark and hop on a different but to JFK which are nearby, but you could get stuck in traffic and miss your JFK flight.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There's also a one-seat ride offered by Olympic Airporter between EWR and JFK. But at that hour, there is a risk of traffic delays.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by closetasfan
Probably by rail. Take the Airtrain (though its actually a monorail not a train) to EWR station, take a NJTransit train to New York Penn Station, transfer to LIRR and take a train to Jamaica, take the Airtrain to JFK.

If all goes well, it should take 1.5 hrs, could very well take 2 hrs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cp...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Another option is to take a bus to Port Authority or Grand Central from Newark and hop on a different but to JFK which are nearby, but you could get stuck in traffic and miss your JFK flight.
Do you know to earn time if i can buy ticket at the airport for LIRR
and also Lirr is inside Penn Station or i must walk a lot of time?
Thanks for answer
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
LIRR

I don't believe you can buy LIRR tickets at Newark. You'll need to go to Penn

The LIRR station itself is in the same building at NJTransit and they're next to each other
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by tekarindo
Do you know to earn time if i can buy ticket at the airport for LIRR
and also Lirr is inside Penn Station or i must walk a lot of time?
Thanks for answer
At EWR, you can only buy a ticket for Airtrain + New Jersey Transit. (Note Amtrak also provides service EWR-NYP, but is less frequent and more expensive.) Usually there is a train every 20 minutes or so, but on weekends, service from EWR to NYP can have gaps of up to 30 minutes.

At NYP, you will need to buy a separate ticket for the LIRR. If you are traveling on a weekday, you will need a peak ticket (more expensive) between 16:00 and 20:00. If you are traveling on a weekend, you can buy a CityTicket (cheaper). Your LIRR ticket will get you from NYP to Jamaica. Most but not all trains stop at Jamaica (there should be a train every 5-10 minutes) so be sure to check the departure board near each staircase which will list all stops.

I think the LIRR vending machines will also sell you a $5 metrocard, which you will use when you get to the JFK AirTrain, but if not you can buy one easily when you get to the AirTrain.

LIRR and NJT use adjacent tracks in NYP, but not the same boarding areas for the most part. How easy the transfer is depends on which staircase you end up at, but in no case should you need to walk more than a minute or two.

Traffic can be bad even on weekends. This will be your most predictable option. If you don't have to wait for baggage claim at EWR, you should get to JFK by 19:00 or 19:30.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The OP does not say from where he will be flying into EWR, but if he has a U.S. mailing address, he can save time by ordering his LIRR ticket online. Tickets typically arrive in the mail within one week of ordering. Details here:

https://www.lirrticket.com/webticket...Welcome?id=002

(Note that the cheaper "City Ticket" for weekend travel can not be purchased online.)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:09 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by tekarindo
I arrive at Newark 08/25/11 at 17.20 and i have a connection at Jfk at 21.00
Which is the fastest way to reach Jfk.
Thanks
Welcome to FlyerTalk, tekarindo!

So that we can keep information organized, I've merged your thread into the existing thread on EWR-JFK connections – it can be found in our Sticky Thread at the top of the forum, or by searching the NYC Forum for "EWR JFK connection".

Please be sure to read the thread from the beginning for more helpful information, especially on the first page.

/Moderator
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Read through the entire thread and did a little research as well.

I arrive at EWR at 8 a.m. on Monday the 5th and need to get to JFK. Flight isn't until 3:20, but want to get there as early as possible to join the Star Alliance pre-megado party in the LH lounge.

Can I take the air train from EWR to Newark Penn Stn for free? I want to connect with the NJ Transit Train to NY Penn Stn. If I am readding the website correctly, it costs $5 to go to NY Penn Stn if I board at Newark Penn Stn, but $12.50 if I board at EWR. Is this correct?

Once I get to NY Penn Stn, I will take the LIRR to Jamaica (or the E subway), and then the airtrain to JFK.

I'm looking for the most cost effective way to get to JFK.

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.