Wiki Posts
Search

New York Apartment

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:48 am
Original Poster

New York Apartment

Hi,

I am looking to experience staying in a New York apartment as a change from staying in a hotel in my upcoming trip in Jan 2006.

I have trawled the Net quite a bit, and seems to have run into problems locating an apartment (with modern, contemporary decor) that has 2 beds in mid-town east area (preferably) at a cost of less than US$180 per night (all charges and taxes included) for a total of 8-9 nights.

Anyone has any idea which websites I can look at with greater success? Or any good recommendations?

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:55 am

http://newyork.craigslist.org

Keep in mind that there are some shady characters who hang out on craigslist. There are many good honest folks, too, and it's almost certainly the best site for what you're after, but you have to be careful. Anything that seems too good to be true probably is.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/new-york#3994
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
problems with nyc apartments

first of all midtown,, even midtown east as you requested is not exactly the place to find many apartments. There are apartments but that is not the residential area. The best locations for apartments are the UWS, UES Village,and Tribeca SoHo areas.
But in addition to being wary of craigs list be aware that NYC apartment regulations are many.. Rent Stab, Rent Controlled, varioius Subsides, Coop boards etc which greatly restrict sub letting and prohibit vacation rentals..
there are many cases in which vacations have run into problems, If the rentor tells you to tell doorman etc that you are a "relative" or "Friend" staying for few days that is a tip off that a problem might be around the corner. If you really must try this try with reputable agency but it will cost more, unless you know someone willing to rent their apartment.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:25 am

Programs: CO - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Silver VIP
Agree with above. Midtown East is a tough place to look. And if you REALLY want the New York apartment experience, try for the Village.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:28 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
If you thought NY hotel rooms were small, just wait until you see what passes for a 1 or 2 bedroom in NYC!
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:03 pm

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
My company has been renting many corporate apartments in NY via Acocella & Co
2 Park Ave # 1516, New York, NY 10016 (212) 807-7050.

They don't have a website - but you might want to check if they have anything that suits your needs.

I have been staying in one of their apartments for a while (in Lower Manhattan) and am very satisfied with their services.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
NYC Apartment Rentals

We have stayed in sublets our last three times in NYC.

We got a one bedroom on the Upper West side through NY Habitat, a little pricey, but nice.

Next time was a studio in the West Village through craigslist, VERY reasonable, great location, a little small.

And last time, a three-story 3-bedroom brownstone townhouse in Park Slope through CyberRentals, our best NYC sublet experience so far.

Subletting is not for everyone, but it really fits our needs. We can stay in areas not served by conventional hotels, and the bang for the buck quotient is exceptional.

YMMV.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nytango
first of all midtown,, even midtown east as you requested is not exactly the place to find many apartments. There are apartments but that is not the residential area.
Au contraire. Sutton Place and Beekman aren't neighborhoods? They are wonderful neighborhoods. Markets, florists, neighborhood pubs, manicure salons, coffee shops, several duane reades and rite aids.... The East 50s, 2nd Avenue and east to the river is a wonderful residential area. Plus you can find parking.

That said, I've helped a couple of FTers with finding apartments for their vacations and have seen some very shaky, offers. Heck, many of them were outright lies. As Mike Brady said, caveat emptor.

Last edited by Analise; Dec 7, 2005 at 8:06 pm
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by Analise
Au contraire. Sutton Place and Beekman aren't neighborhoods? They are wonderful neighborhoods. Markets, florists, neighborhood pubs, manicure salons, coffee shops, several duane reades and rite aids.... The East 50s, 2nd Avenue and east to the river is a wonderful residential area. Plus you can find parking.

That said, I've helped a couple of FTers with finding apartments for their vacations and have seen some very shaky, offers. Heck, many of them were outright lies. As Mike Brady said, caveat emptor.
just what we need, a french and latin speaking New Yorker
but i never said no apartments, and you left out murray hill, un district
and i know of many apartments on 57th and 6th with a duane read. Good luck finding a legal short term apartment on Sutton Pl. You actually agree with me if you have a friend they can help find apartments. Be wary of craigs and other "lists"
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nytango
just what we need, a french and latin speaking New Yorker
but i never said no apartments, and you left out murray hill, un district
and i know of many apartments on 57th and 6th with a duane read. Good luck finding a legal short term apartment on Sutton Pl. You actually agree with me if you have a friend they can help find apartments. Be wary of craigs and other "lists"
I was merely defending my neighborhood. How could I forget Murray Hill? For shame!

I definitely agree with you about vacation apartment hunting. Regardless of the neighborhood one wants, by trying to help another FTer find an apartment for her vacation, I learned first-hand how unreliable these offers are. In fact when I say "unreliable", I am being overly kind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.