The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
Updated December 2011 by cordelli
Updated 5/2012 to add in Hilton

A consolidation of some information gathered from recent posts:

Penn station
with an Amtrak or NJ Transit Ticket (Previous posts have said LIRR tickets are not acceptable)
31st street / 8th ave entrance, past the entrance for gates 1 to 4

Grand Central Terminal
No in station storage

Port Authority
No in station storage

JFK
Terminal 1 Arrivals - First floor (near Alitalia and Olympic Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 7AM-11PM
Telephone: (718) 751-2947

Terminal 3 Arrivals
Pre-Security
Arrivals
Hotels Counter in Area B

Terminal 4 Arrivals - First floor
Hours of Operation: 24 Hours
Telephone: (718) 751-4020

Edited 9/23/2010 - The Port Authority website lists storage at terminal 5, but as sbm12 indicates below this really isn't there, so I removed it. The Jet Blue website refers people to the facilities at Terminals 1 and 4.

Terminals 8 - (American Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 6AM-10PM
Approximate Cost (depending on size): $8 - $18 per day
Telephone: (718) 995-9292
Early (earlier that 6:00am) pick-up of luggage is possible.

LGA
No Storage

Newark
NBS in Terminal C, Carosel 1
1 (908) 933-0503

note - the NYC.com visitor guide for luggage storage says there is no storage at Newark, but as of December 15, 2011, kwildnj reported there is still luggage storage there, and that They are open 8:00am-1:00am daily. Fees are 10.00 First Bag, 5.00 Subsequent (per day)

Macy*s
There are many pages online saying that Macy*s will accept bags

Schwartz Travel

355 w 36th St.
Between 8th & 9th Ave. 2nd Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (West Side) & Port Authority A.C.E. Subway stop, next to the Wyndham Hotel
Open Everyday: 8am - 11pm

34 w 46th St.
Between 5th & 6th Ave. 4th Floor
Close to Times Square & Grand Central Terminal Same Building as Via Brasil & Subway
Open Everyday: 8am - 11pm

2 w 32th St.
Between 5th Ave & Broadway 5th Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (East Side) & the Empire State Building
(Located near 5th Ave. Next to the Nyma Hotel. Same building as the Korean Museam, OZ Hair, Kirakuya Sake Bar)
Now Closed - will re-open July 2012

Day . Week . Month Please send e-mail to reserve - Walk-ins Welcome. Storage Price: $7 - $10 each bag. $10 maximum per day per luggage. Monthly Rate: $2 to $5 a day, (depending on size) per luggage.Tourist Friendly - Special Group & Student Rates Safe . Secure . Reliable. Satisfaction Guaranteed

We are Open Everyday at 355 w 36th st included Major Holidays.

Near Yankee Stadium
In the Bronx across from Yankee Stadium at the bowling alley. They have a pretty good bag check.

Hilton Hotel
6th between 53 and 54th, Manhattan
I was there for a meeting this morning and noticed they have a luggage storage side on first floor just to the right of the main entrance as you face the hotel. Open 7 am to 10 pm, $3.50 per bag per calendar day. Says to ask the front desk after hours.
Print Wikipost

The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by embla
Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me figure out where to leave my luggage. I'll be checking out of my hotel on Mon, Dec 26th, but I have a lunch meeting two blocks away at noon that I certainly can't take my luggage to. I'll try to request a late check out but if that doesn't work out, where should I store my luggage? I do have an amtrak res for later that evening - is this valid for storing my luggage at Penn Station?

Also, I'll take the amtrak back to nyc on the 30th at 9:30am, and I have another noon lunch meeting. Would I still be able to store my luggage at Penn?

How safe is it to leave luggage with Amtrak or hotels? I'll of course be keeping my money and IDs with me but I'll have to leave my dslr and laptop in my luggage when I go to my meetings. Would this be okay?
Leaving electronics is never recommended, when i have had no choice i don't use a laptop bag or briefcase where its obvious there is a laptop inside. Instead, i put the laptop into the luggage so its not as obvious, and use rail ties that are clipped, so i can tell pretty quickly if its been messed with (notwithstanding the zipper trick which is always a possibility)

Is there a reason, you could not take a briefcase to the biz lunch? Not ideal, but is it impossible?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:20 am

guv1976 - Thanks very much for the info on Amtrak's parcel checking at Penn Station! This option will definitely be my back-up.

GoingAway - ahhh, You're right about leaving electronics in luggage. I should know better!! I'll consider not bringing my DSLR at all, or finding a very nice purse large enough to carry it in - or at least a purse to carry my laptop in. I didn't want to bring either of them to the meetings because the lunches are going to be very formal and my boss was adamant that I "dress to impress" (I already have to dress nicely for everyday work) so I was feeling self-conscious about lugging around a DSLR + laptop... but I suppose that's better than risking them being stolen! Thanks for talking some sense into me.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:22 am

I will land on JFK in the morning and leave in the evening from EWR with United. Does Penn Station Amtrak storage still store bags for NJTransit passengers?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:53 am

Another JFK storage problem!

I am flying into Terminal 7 on BA staying a few days in NYC (will be late December so will need boots/coats etc in NYC) then flying Delta 695 to Orlando and traveling around Florida finally flying back to JFK from Miami on AA 1510 followed by our flight home on BA from Terminal 7.
Now heres the problem, all the boots/coats etc that we need in NYC we will (hopefully!) not need in Florida and rather than carry them around Florida with us (and probably pay excess baggage fees on internal flights) i thought i would take one holdall to pack them all into (family of 5 adults) and leave them at JFK in storage, but where would you suggest we store them? do Delta and AA use the same terminal? (that would be great as we could drop into storage on way out of JFK and pick up on our return) or is there a central area that is easily accessed from all terminals? or shall i just carry the stuff around with us? (but very annoying as we also have internal flights from Tampa to Key West and Key West to Miami) I would appreciate some advice.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:18 am

I left my luggage at Penn Station Amtrak parcel storage, for $4.5 per luggage. I showed my NJTransit tickets.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Having a heck of a time tracking down updated info. Newer threads point back to this thread with a nice summary - but last updated in 2011.

Port Authority website now says only Terminal 1 has storage:
http://www.panynj.gov/faqs/airports....irportsJFKQu06

Regarding baggage storage, please contact your air carrier. There is one baggage storage location on-airport in
Terminal 1. Please call (718) 751-2947 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. for pricing and other specifics on storing baggage there.
I did call the phone number, they did answer and said it would be $11 / day for a 28 inch bag.

If anyone else has some recent experience with this, please post.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:06 am

The Port Authority website contradicts itself here where it appears to indicate there is still baggage storage at terminal 4 as well:

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-s...-services.html

For terminal 4 there is a line item:
Hotel Reservations/Baggage Storage/Lost & Found Pre-Security Arrivals Hall

No phone number is given.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:08 am

Lots of conflicting information on JFK baggage / luggage storage on the web, but the 718-751-2947 phone number still is in operation as of Sept. 2015 and goes direct to someone that works in the baggage storage area - they confirmed for me that there is also a storage facility at Terminal 4 of JFK. I'm pretty sure this is correct because I just asked a generic question about where to store bags, he asked my airline (Delta), and then volunteered the info. about the facility at Terminal 4 of JFK.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:55 am

They list the T4 baggage storage on the PANYNJ website (http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-s...-services.html) and show its location on the website of the IAT (T4's operator):

http://www.jfkiat.com/maps/arrivals.pdf
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:28 am

i found new luggage storage. the price is $5 -$10 per day, it's convenient location,24 hour CCTY ,secure system.
between 5 and 6 ave on the 36st, close to penn station / port authority terminal .
the site is www.limeteleport.com
address ; 46 west 36st new york NY10018
it opens 8am to 10pm, everyday
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:33 am

luggage storage open

i found out luggage storage , 46 west 36st new york ny10018,
it's convenient location and 24 hour cctv with secure system.
the price is $5-$10 per day, the site is www.limeteleport.com
close to penn station, port authority terminal.
it opens 8 am to 10pm, everyday.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by limeteleportnyc
i found out luggage storage , 46 west 36st new york ny10018,
it's convenient location and 24 hour cctv with secure system.
the price is $5-$10 per day, the site is www.limeteleport.com
close to penn station, port authority terminal.
it opens 8 am to 10pm, everyday.
What an amazing coincidence. This luggage storage you "found" has the same name as your username!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:21 am

There's a van that parks in a lot near my home labeled "SubBnb." I just looked up their website (http://www.subbnb.com/) and they should probably be noted here, as they are a mobile luggage storage company, so you don't have to pick up and drop off your bags at the same location (you can arrange with them to meet you almost anywhere, including the airport). Interesting idea, although I wonder how reliable it is.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nay update on the storage facilities at EWR these days?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Nay update on the storage facilities at EWR these days?
I'm looking to store my bags at Newark next month, and based on the advice in a TripAdvisor thread it looks like it will be fairly easy to do in terminal C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.