Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie questions: Driving in NYC OK?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2005, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Newbie questions: Driving in NYC OK?

Hi,

I plan to spend 3 days sightseeing in New York City with my visiting aged parents ( so they can't walk a lot ), however I am kind of lost as to how to go about it - so any tips will be helpful.
I am flying in to ISP, (Long Island, Islip) on Friday morning(9am), have a rental car - and I don't check into a hotel till later that evening in New jersey (near EWR). So I was wondering If I could use my car to go around or should I park it somewhere and take the subway ( or the grayline bus tour? ).
If parking the car is better - where should I park it - any suggestions for good parking places - also is it safe to leave a laptop in the car?

Any suggested itineraries for the 3 days?

Again on Day 2, can I drive into NYC from my hotel in EWR or should I take the train?

On Day 3( Sunday night), I am flying out of JFK - again will driving to JFK from the city be bad? Anything to watch out for?

The rental car does have a GPS navigation system( hertz) , so I was thinking it may be easier to drive around - but I have always heard - driving in NYC is bad - so am not sure.

Thanks,
S
Old Jun 12, 2005, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by srag
Hi,

I plan to spend 3 days sightseeing in New York City with my visiting aged parents ( so they can't walk a lot ), however I am kind of lost as to how to go about it - so any tips will be helpful.
I am flying in to ISP, (Long Island, Islip) on Friday morning(9am), have a rental car - and I don't check into a hotel till later that evening in New jersey (near EWR). So I was wondering If I could use my car to go around or should I park it somewhere and take the subway ( or the grayline bus tour? ).
If parking the car is better - where should I park it - any suggestions for good parking places - also is it safe to leave a laptop in the car?

Any suggested itineraries for the 3 days?

Again on Day 2, can I drive into NYC from my hotel in EWR or should I take the train?

On Day 3( Sunday night), I am flying out of JFK - again will driving to JFK from the city be bad? Anything to watch out for?

The rental car does have a GPS navigation system( hertz) , so I was thinking it may be easier to drive around - but I have always heard - driving in NYC is bad - so am not sure.

Thanks,

S

The first question is why fly into isp then book room in Newark, that can take 2hours depending on time of day, There are many better locations even on Long island, to stay which will be more convenient to visiting NYC,
Garden city,, Melville, easy acess to LIRR into city or driving at some times of day, Driving isnt that terrible if you avoid rush hours and be very careful if you park. Check signs because tows are very expensive.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nytango
The first question is why fly into isp then book room in Newark, that can take 2hours depending on time of day, There are many better locations even on Long island, to stay which will be more convenient to visiting NYC,
Garden city,, Melville, easy acess to LIRR into city or driving at some times of day, Driving isnt that terrible if you avoid rush hours and be very careful if you park. Check signs because tows are very expensive.
Thanks for the response. I just happened to book the hotels first and then found a good deal for flying into ISP, hence took it.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Welcome to FlyerTalk, srag.

Am I correct in inferring from your post that you have never been to New York before? If that is the case, don't consider driving. I have been there more than a few times, and would not consider it, even though I know my way around somewhat.

The public transit is very good, taxis are everywhere, car hire services abound, and as you mentioned, there is Gray Line and the other tour operators.

I think I could actually navigate around the city for a few days in a rental car, but you would have to pay me to try it. A lot. Everyone who has been to NYC has seen the traffic jam caused by the out-of-towners going the wrong way on a one way street.

I'm sure that the locals will chime in on this one.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hiyosilverwings
Welcome to FlyerTalk, srag.

Am I correct in inferring from your post that you have never been to New York before? If that is the case, don't consider driving. I have been there more than a few times, and would not consider it, even though I know my way around somewhat.

The public transit is very good, taxis are everywhere, car hire services abound, and as you mentioned, there is Gray Line and the other tour operators.

I think I could actually navigate around the city for a few days in a rental car, but you would have to pay me to try it. A lot. Everyone who has been to NYC has seen the traffic jam caused by the out-of-towners going the wrong way on a one way street.

I'm sure that the locals will chime in on this one.
Actually I did visit New York a few years ago for a couple of days - I tried the subway then, but I felt I spent too much time walking ( maybe I should have taken cabs) - hence I was thinking if a rental car would give me more independence and make it faster.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:54 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Actually I did visit New York a few years ago for a couple of days - I tried the subway then, but I felt I spent too much time walking ( maybe I should have taken cabs) - hence I was thinking if a rental car would give me more independence and make it faster.
You should be fine then, especially with the GPS. Hertz uses the Magellan system and it has a great voice feature.

When I selected "most direct route" on a trip from Sacramento to Ione CA last year, I found the voice most reassuring as I was bouncing on dirt roads through the cornfields. Very soothing.

Have fun, and maybe set Dad up with a video camera to record the trip?

Last edited by hiyosilverwings; Jun 12, 2005 at 2:47 pm Reason: added icons . . .
Old Jun 12, 2005, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hiyosilverwings
You should be fine then, especially with the GPS. Hertz uses the Magellan system and it has a great voice feature.

When I selected "most direct route" on a trip from Sacramento to Ione CA last year, I found the voice most reassuring as I was bouncing on dirt roads through the cornfields. Very soothing.

Have fun, and maybe set Dad up with a video camera to record the trip?
Thanks, Sure - I think the Magellan system will be very useful.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:04 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I'd rather take cabs than driving in NYC. You have to park in the garage (unless you're super lucky), and those are not cheap. And if you're not used to driving in the city, you'll be way too stressed.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
I'd second the cabs are better idea, as a New Yorker (although now in the UK). Without understanding NYC parking regulations and without circling a great deal, you will mostly end up parking in garages and paying a fortune. Most tourist attractions don't have simple parking--it's not a driving-centered city, so you will end up with more of a headache dealing with parking than you would have simply relying on subway and city buses.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1.05MM), AA Gold (1.4MM)
Don't bother with a rental car

Hi:

As a native NYer now in SF, I return to the city fairly frequently for business. Even though I learned to drive in NYC (and THAT was an education) I would never rent a car to get around that town today.

As others have noted, on-street parking is difficult at best, garages are expensive, and you'll spend an amazing amount of time circling the block(s) looking for legal places - not all parking rules signs are clear or immediately understandable as you drive up to them. Then you'll have to go find your car while your 'rents wait around for you. The last time I tried something similar, I had to double-park to get my riding companion to the car, and in the few minutes it took for me to leave I had a cop ready to write up a ticket waiting at the car. He was going to give me five minutes, and I consider myself lucky for that - I believe that today the tow hook would be on the vehicle in microseconds.

Taxis are good, and they usually know how to avoid busy streets and traffic jams. Car services are also generally good - I've used Four Ones several times with usually positive results, especially if I'm heading to Queens or Brooklyn.

If you're only there for a short time, why burden yourself with worrying about a car? It it were me, I'd budget between $100 and $200 for the car, gas, tolls, parking, and so on, contrasted with taxicab rides all day (with the occasional bus or subway ride) that should be less money and far less stress.

Whatever you do, have fun. Great city - I just can't live there any more. (And no, it has nothing to do with outstanding warrants, or back taxes, or unfortunate instances with the now-infamous 14th annual Murray Hill Poodle Shoot and Barbecue ... but I'll bet some of you were thinking that ...)
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.
I guess driving is really a bad idea then - But I still have a rental car ( already paid for, as I used priceline for it ) - So I am thinking of picking up the car from ISP, when I arrive Friday morning, then drive and park it at some good location, before embarking upon my sightseeing tour. Later in the evening, I plan to pick up the car and drive to my hotel in New Jersey.
Is there some good place you guys could suggest, where I could park it for the first day of my trip?
Thanks,
S
Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I guess driving is really a bad idea then - But I still have a rental car ( already paid for, as I used priceline for it ) - So I am thinking of picking up the car from ISP, when I arrive Friday morning, then drive and park it at some good location, before embarking upon my sightseeing tour. Later in the evening, I plan to pick up the car and drive to my hotel in New Jersey.
Is there some good place you guys could suggest, where I could park it for the first day of my trip?
Thanks,
S

Where does your sightseeing tour start? Since you're "stuck" with the car, I'd recommend parking it uptown near a subway stop. I drive in the city every day, but rarely drive below the Lincoln Tunnel...it's just not worth the hassle. Speaking of which....how/when do you plan to head to the hotel? You will definitely want to avoid rush hour (which is more like 3hrs...) It can take hours to go a few miles...no exaggeration.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shell nyc
Where does your sightseeing tour start? Since you're "stuck" with the car, I'd recommend parking it uptown near a subway stop. I drive in the city every day, but rarely drive below the Lincoln Tunnel...it's just not worth the hassle. Speaking of which....how/when do you plan to head to the hotel? You will definitely want to avoid rush hour (which is more like 3hrs...) It can take hours to go a few miles...no exaggeration.
I am not quite sure, I plan to cover Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty during my trip - but am not sure, if I should it do it on day one - as I would be arriving at ISP only at 9.00 AM. Do you have any suggestions? - I was hoping somebody could suggest a few places I could cover in the 3 days I have.
Sure - I can try and park it uptown and take the subway.
On Day 1, I plan to drive to my hotel ( near EWR), probably after 7pm - Would that still be rush hour on a Friday evening? If so, What time would be good to avoid rush hour?

Also I need to get to JFK, Sunday evening to catch a 8pm flight - Is the traffic better on Sunday evenings? - Would starting out at around 5.00 pm
from downtown give me enought time to make it?
Thanks,
S
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Faster? A rental car in Manhattan will slow you down. Plus you'll be inconvenienced with traffic, the pursuit of on street parking in which you could be towed if you haven't read the fine print, and the cost of garage parking. Plus the retrieval of your car from a garage can take 30-45 minutes especially in the evening after a Broadway performance.

NYC is a walking town. For your elderly parents, I recommend taking a tourist bus for a city tour.

Have you prepaid for your hotel near EWR? If you haven't, I can't recommend enough you finding another hotel. It is totally out of your way to be staying at EWR.

Last edited by Analise; Jun 13, 2005 at 8:20 am
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
analise and shell have good advice. Since you are stuck with car on your first day plan on things up town. Going into city from Isp only real choice is 495 LIE straight on in thru midtown tunnel but even better (view etc) and cheaper is 59th st Bridge (queensboro bridge,) get of LIE near city follow signs to queensboro bridge. Park uptown on east side (above 60th st but below 90th) Take cabs to midtown (rock center etc) From Newark check if Path trains are convenient take them into city second day and do things further south. As far as last day 5pm is plenty of time to get to JFk for 8pm flight. from downtown you can even take battery tunnel and Belt Parkway around to JFK (little longer but ususally faster than other ways)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.