FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   LGA On street parking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/436401-lga-street-parking.html)

MRTHNMAN May 24, 2005 8:26 pm

LGA On street parking

In the past, on short trips from LGA , I have parked around the 94th street area and walked to my terminal. I have another overnite trip coming up , by any chance does anyone out there know what are the days/hours of alternate side of the street parking in that area ?

dhammer53 May 24, 2005 9:35 pm

As a matter of fact, I do.

I think the area around 94th street, is no parking on Thursday and Friday.

The areas around the Marriott and Crown Plaza are no parking Monday and Tuesday. Particularly good area for USAir departures, as it's a 10 minute walk to the terminal.

MRTHNMAN May 25, 2005 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
As a matter of fact, I do.

is that where the clarion & dollar rent a car is ?

dhammer53 May 25, 2005 7:51 pm

Yes.

I suggest allowing yourself some extra time to find a space, just in case. ;)

Dan

bostonbali Mar 9, 2006 8:46 pm

Dhammer53, when you say no parking on Fridays, does that mean no parking ALL day Friday? I'm contemplating parking there for a weekend trip, and my flight leaves LGA at 5:45PM (that means I'd be parking there around 5pm). Would that fly? (PS, I would be returning Monday morning around 10am, so I guess parking around the Marriott is out...)

MilesTalk Mar 9, 2006 9:06 pm

You should know that this is NOT a safe area to park any half-decent car.

I parked for 3 days a few years ago, a 92 Camry mind you, and came back to find the window smashed, glass everywhere, the car ransacked... When the cop came to fill out the report he mentioned that he sees it ALL THE TIME and that next time I really should use a pay lot, even if at one of the hotels...

I'd parked there at the time because the on site LGA lot was full and I assumed the street would be as good as anywhere given that my travel dates worked within the posted alternate side regulations.

Hope this saves someone the same fate I suffered....

bostonbali Mar 10, 2006 6:55 am

Originally Posted by daveland
You should know that this is NOT a safe area to park any half-decent car.

I parked for 3 days a few years ago, a 92 Camry mind you, and came back to find the window smashed, glass everywhere, the car ransacked... When the cop came to fill out the report he mentioned that he sees it ALL THE TIME and that next time I really should use a pay lot, even if at one of the hotels...

I'd parked there at the time because the on site LGA lot was full and I assumed the street would be as good as anywhere given that my travel dates worked within the posted alternate side regulations.

Hope this saves someone the same fate I suffered....

So what you're saying is that I should probably NOT leave my '06 SUV there??? I guess it's off to the pay lots for me... ;)
Thanks for the heads-up!

dhammer53 Mar 11, 2006 12:48 am

The no parking restriction is usually for a couple of hours in the late morn/early afternoon.

As for safety of your vehicle, I don't have a problem with it. I've parked on the street many times over the years. YMMV. ;)

themicah Mar 11, 2006 9:38 am

As for safety of your vehicle, I don't have a problem with it. I've parked on the street many times over the years. YMMV. ;)

My grandmother once returned from a trip to find the entire engine stolen from her VW Bug. She called AAA for a jump-start when it wouldn't start up, and the guy popped the hood (in back, of course) and said, "Lady, it ain't your battery..."

And that was in the LGA garages--not on the street.

Then again, it was also the late 1970's....

MRTHNMAN Jan 8, 2009 11:02 am

anyone know what the current days and times of alternate parking regulations in the LGA area currently ?

dhammer53 Jan 8, 2009 3:06 pm

Every day of the week is covered in the LGA neighborhood. No free rides.
Sometimes I park near 94th street, and other times I have to park closer to the hotels further east of 94th street. When I park there, I walk across the highway bridge and will be closer to the USAirways and Delta terminals.

The 94th street area is closer to AA and UA.

You can not park longer than a week due to the alternate parking rules.
Allow enough time to drive around. I've done plenty of very long weekends. Just read the signs. ;)
I think the latest time is 1:00pm.

Keep in mind that this neighborhood has alternate side parking on one day a week, not 2.

dh

Analise Jan 8, 2009 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by MRTHNMAN (Post 11035982)
anyone know what the current days and times of alternate parking regulations in the LGA area currently ?

If you get a ticket, don't worry. Think of it as cheap parking. You can challenge it and the fine will be reduced from $65 to $43.

Keep in mind that this neighborhood has alternate side parking on one day a week, not 2

Wish we had that!

belynch Jan 9, 2009 7:35 am

I've parked in at the base of the Triborough near the park there. Never received a ticket (no alt restrictions all the way down by the river) and never had anything happen to my car.

Just call a taxi or gypsy cab and you'll have a sub $10 ride to the airport.

uncle wiggily Jan 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Safe Parking on the other side of LGA

Between 1997 and 2007, I safely parked my car on a street near Ditmars Blvd. I cannot remember the name of the street; that said, it's easiest to describe it as less than a block away from the Hertz Rental Station. The street runs perpendicular to the Hertz Station and is a calm residential one.

The street cleaning rules were observed on Wednesdays and Fridays from 9-10:30 a.m. I could park the car anytime after Wednesday afternoon and not have to worry about getting a ticket until the following Tuesday night.

After parking the car, I walked over to Hertz, got on their shuttle bus and got a ride to LGA. Since I rented a car from Hertz when I got to my destination, I did not feel I was abusing the privilege.

This works well for anyone who flies out of LGA, intending to spend the weekend elsewhere.

jesus4jets Jan 17, 2009 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 11037802)
If you get a ticket, don't worry. Think of it as cheap parking. You can challenge it and the fine will be reduced from $65 to $43.

Might even be less - IIRC queens doesn't have the $20 manhattan surcharge, making the plea bargain cheaper than a day of parking at the terminal lot.