Search

A present. Driving directions to the Howard Beach Air Train station

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:43 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dhammer53
It's still the same price. The machine works the same way all the machines work. There's a clerk/agent to help you buy the ticket if necessary. If you already have a Metro card, you can use that for payment. It's the same card for the subway and Air Train, so no issues.

My question to the Medicare/senior citizens riders... is the Air Train available at a reduced rate. I haven't been through HB since joining 'the club', and I'm interested in the answer.

dh
The Air Train is not MTA. A few years ago I tried using my Senior MTA card only for convenience (not expecting a discount), I could not use my card.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by nrr
The Air Train is not MTA. A few years ago I tried using my Senior MTA card only for convenience (not expecting a discount), I could not use my card.
And unlimited MTA purchased MetroCards do not work as well.
AirTrain does sell a $25 10 trip Air Train card but you would have to add value to get onto the subway or MTA bus.
Air Train also has a $40 30 day card but then again you need to add value for the subway/bus or a separate unlimited card (mostly used by those employed at the airport)
This is opposite of an MTA MetroCard where you can put money on an unlimited card and use it at AirTrain where AirTrain turnstile will deduct the value.
Remember any new card there is also a $1 fee added to what you are paying.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:50 pm

This is correct. A separate Metrocard must be used for the AirTrain if you have a Senior Metrocard
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Interesting info. Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by hoffmich45
This is correct. A separate Metrocard must be used for the AirTrain if you have a Senior Metrocard
Yes, I learned this the hard way as well. It would be nice to be able to use just a single card instead of two, but it can't be done. At least not at present.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:48 pm

Anyone have updated info on the parking situation at Howard Beach? It's been a while since I parked there but I may have an upcoming flight from JFK coming up.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I parked4free in Howard Beach about 6 months ago. Don't forget to get a slice (of pizza) at New Park on Cross Bay Blvd.

dh
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I parked4free in Howard Beach about 6 months ago. Don't forget to get a slice (of pizza) at New Park on Cross Bay Blvd.

dh
That is good pizza. It's kind of a shame that I usually don't bother to stop there anymore because I typically get free food at the airport lounges, so it's hard to justify taking the time.

I have stopped at Old Country Bagel on Cross Bay a couple times after redeyes to bring back some NYC bagels for family/friends. Not the same level of excellence in the bagel world as New Park enjoys in the pizza world, but still quite good.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by iahphx
That is good pizza. It's kind of a shame that I usually don't bother to stop there anymore because I typically get free food at the airport lounges, so it's hard to justify taking the time.
I find it easy to justify paying a modest amount for good food rather than eating the crap food in the lounge simply because it happens to be free.
I just spent 10 nights at the Westin Canal Place in New Orleans, and didn't once partake in the free breakfast I was entitled to and instead paid for my breakfast each day at Surrey's, HiVolt, Willa Jean, Paladar 511, etc.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:40 am

dh
Thank you dh! Does anyone have more recent experience parking on the street? I would be parking for 5 or 6 days. Are spots usually easy to find at around 6:30am?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amm543
Thank you dh! Does anyone have more recent experience parking on the street? I would be parking for 5 or 6 days. Are spots usually easy to find at around 6:30am?
As has been repeatedly stated in this thread, there is no problem "finding a space" near the Howard Beach train station at any time. The question is how far you're going to walk, and how comfortable you are in parking in front of somebody's house for days? Personally, I haven't had that much luck parking on the block immediately in front of the train station (spots are usually full if it's not off-hours), so I park a couple blocks in front of the Our Lady of Grace complex. It just feels better than parking in front of someone's house. But any option should work. Plan on spending 10 minutes finding a space and walking to the station from there.

I'd also note that if it's winter, throw a snow shovel and ice scrapper in your trunk. You never know what the weather will be upon your return.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:37 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bostonbali
dhammer53, Thanks for posting the parking directions.

I do want to throw out a word of caution to everybody though. I used this tip to park for free for 5 days during a recent trip to HKG. I was a bit nervous leaving my car parked on the street, but dhammer53 reassured me he's never had a problem. Dhammer53, however, must have better luck than me...

I did a quick walkaround upon returning to my car, just to make sure it wasn't scratched (keyed) or did not sustain a flat tire. It looked fine, and I was on my way quickly. I turned on the radio, but no stations came in. Strange, I thought, until I realized that my antenna was taken! A bit further on, I decided to clean the rear window of my Explorer, and noticed that the rear wiper was taken as well! Must have been that out of state (MA) plate that pissed off the locals.

I still appreciate dhammer53's directions and help. ^ But will I park there again? Probably not.

PS - I was parked on 101st street, about 2 blocks from the AirTrain station...
The antenna thieves use them to smoke drugs out of.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Must have been that out of state (MA) plate that pissed off the locals.
More likely just a random act of vandalism. There are no shortage of out-of-state plates (including my MA plates) regularly parked in Brooklyn without incident. You just got unlucky. (Yes, I recognize this is an old post I'm responding to. Just setting the record straight!)
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you would have told me back in 2005 that this neighborhood would continue to have free parking without restriction in 2020, I never would have believed it.

dh
GUWonder and Xyzzy like this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you would have told me back in 2005 that this neighborhood would continue to have free parking without restriction in 2020, I never would have believed it.

dh
I have seen parking restrictions getting less restrictive rather than more. There are neighborhoods in Brooklyn where I’ve seen the twice-a-week alternate-side parking regulations switched to one-a-week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.