Wiki Posts
Search

Pizza!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anonplz
Maffei Pizza (688 6th Ave., NYC, 10010, 212-929-0949) is a grab-a-slice type corner shop at the southeast corner of 6th Avenue and 22nd Street. This is another of my favorite pizza place. They have standard items but everything is made from scratch! Mmmm... Anytime I'm in that neighborhood, I'll stop and get something just because it's all so fresh and good and cheap. I especially like their Grandma's Special pizza, fresh mozarella, San Marzano tomatoes sauteed in extra virgin olive oil and seasoned with basil leaves - oh! Really fine. It's just across from the Barnes & Noble on 6th and is open 7 days/week, M-F 6 a.m. - 10 p.m., Sat. 7 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. They offer free delivery and accept Amex/Visa/MC. They make "lunch and dinner plates" daily. "If you don't see it on the menu, ASK US TO PREPARE IT!"
Out of 2,500 Italian restaurants in NYC, Maffei's came in 12th on Robert Sietsema's 100 Best Italian Restaurants in the latest Village Voice.

Do I know good food or what?

Another of my faves, Abitino's, was #43, and L&B was #61.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
New York has such great pizza on average. Even the stuff from someplace like Penn Station is probably better than you get anyplace in most cities in the US. But my favorites are Johns, Naples 45 and Lombardis.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 6:20 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
For DHammer and Canarsie: It was originally called Herbie's International and I remember it well. Connie's served not only pizza, but lots of great hero sandwiches and a few pasta dishes as well. No ambiance, but great food.

It is currently very hard to find any place in canarsie to dine well. Even the Seaview Diner went out of business. However we do have ORIGINAL PIZZA on Avenue L which I think is the best around. AND....Canarsie.....I live very near Rockaway Parkway and Seaview Avenue......so if I were younger or you were older....we would have been neighbors .

There is a new deli in the Georgetown Shopping Center called Wishnick's but it's not the same as Grabstein's used to be...and as for Appy's which was then owned by Joe and his wife, that turned into a mess over a family battle involving a divorce and child custody case. The poor elderly parents were caught in the middle. We now rely on the Kings Plaza Diner and I make regular trips to Bell Bialy where they also sell decent bagels. They are so cheap......three dollars a dozen. They sell retail at the wholesale price. Very nice people, but I remember when they were on Flatlands Avenue and East 81st Street. I also remember when canarsie had three bakeries to choose from...and now there is only one....Teena's. Ah well... so much for the good old days.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
MarySunshine,

Thanks for the memories.

I grew up around the corner from Herbies. That location was the local joke. Until Herbies arrived, it was a different restaurant every year. Not that Herbies was any great shakes.

As for Grabsteins, my wife's grandparents loved that place. It was their once in a while we're going out to eat place. And don't think for a minute they didn't think it was big time.
When I'm finished eating, it's time to go. With them, it was 'what's your rush?'
So I'd wait 5 minutes and we'd repeat the entire senario again. Oh how they're missed. You know the types. Russian immigrants that came to America in the 1910's. They can never be duplicated.

Flatlands Ave and East 81st. What more can I say.
Same goes for Connie's pizza. Now that was pizza!

Kings Plaza diner. Where in the world, other than Thailand, can you get so much food for so little. Everytime I take my mom, I see mostly Fat people eating. But that's another story. Why do people feel the need to eat everything on their plate? <end rant>

As for bakeries, I refer you to the dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour thread in Community.

Do tell, where can I get 3 bagels for a buck?

Dan
Old Jun 11, 2004, 9:56 am

I think we need a PizzaDo.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
I think we need a PizzaDo.
You mean, a-NOTHER PizzaDo...
Old Jun 15, 2004, 10:36 am

Can you actually get anything but good pizza in New York City? Again, I like Johns, Grimaldis, and the old Totonnos in Brooklyn the best.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hershey
Can you actually get anything but good pizza in New York City?
Agreed! I used to think Chicago pizza was best, but not anymore... (ducking)
Old Jun 18, 2004, 4:59 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Question..Question....Calling all Brooklynites: I was driving down Nostrand Avenue yesterday near Avenue Z , passing the Pathmark shopping center. I suddenly noticed a Connie's Pizza Does anyone know if this is the original Connie's????????
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:50 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
yep, there is some crap out there, I know from experience
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:52 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
SweetWillie, I will only say that while not strictly disagreeing with you it is all VERY relative. Try getting pizza in St. Louis or Oklahoma.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:54 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
yes, w/o a doubt! (unfortunately speaking from personal experience)
Old Jun 21, 2004, 3:30 pm

agree to that, even though I rarely say anything bad about NY.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by anonplz
Maffei Pizza (688 6th Ave., NYC, 10010, 212-929-0949) is a grab-a-slice type corner shop at the southeast corner of 6th Avenue and 22nd Street.
That's like four bolcks from the office.

Me thinks me having Pizza tomorrow (though I have pizza several times a week, but now I have a new place to go)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.