Pizza!

Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I decided to celebrate my 200th post here with my fellow (and some former) Brooklynites.

<<sniff>> Thanks a lot for making me homesick for old Brooklyn, everybody. They would not know what a bialy is here in Marietta if it hit them on the head. And, there is only one Carvel to be found in all of Georgia - 45 minutes from where I live.

Speaking of which, the best bagels and bialies in the world can still be found at Bell Bagel and Bialy on Foster Avenue. The bialies steam up the car windows in the summertime, they are so hot and fresh!

Anybody remember Appy's Kosher Deli (which later became Joe's South Shore) on the corner of Ralph Avenue and Glenwood Road?

By the way, Mill Basin Deli has a web site: www.pastrami.net, although their pastrami, while delicious, does not hold a candle to the pastrami found at Katz' Delicatessen in Manhattan.

Oh yeah - I forgot - this was originally a pizza thread. Maybe I should have started a new thread. Anyway, the name Connie still reminds me of the delicious pizza that was once found at Connie's Pizzeria (you don't see the word pizzeria anywhere anymore, especially in neon lights) in the Flatlands Shopping Center on Ralph Avenue between Flatlands Avenue and Avenue J.

Finally, I miss the most delicious water on the entire planet: good ol' New York City tap water.

sigh

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 01-29-2003).]
Old Jan 30, 2003, 8:11 am

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Anybody remember Appy's Kosher Deli (which later became Joe's South Shore) on the corner of Ralph Avenue and Glenwood Road?

Oh yeah - I forgot - this was originally a pizza thread. Maybe I should have started a new thread. Anyway, the name Connie still reminds me of the delicious pizza that was once found at Connie's Pizzeria (you don't see the word pizzeria anywhere anymore, especially in neon lights) in the Flatlands Shopping Center on Ralph Avenue between Flatlands Avenue and Avenue J.

[/B]</font>
Canarsie

Back in the day I had a summer job bussing tables in Appy's. It was the only time in my life I ever got tired of pastrami.

I don't remember Connie's in the Flatlands Center, but there was an excellent Connie's Pizzaria in the strip mall on Nostrand Ave. between Aves Y&Z. Maybe they had the same owner.

Laguardiaguy

Old Mar 26, 2003, 5:17 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:

That's L&B Spumoni Gardens. It is the best pizza in Brooklyn after Totonno's in Coney Island.
</font>

Old Mar 30, 2003, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Canarsie:
[B]Anybody remember Appy's Kosher Deli (which later became Joe's South Shore) on the corner of Ralph Avenue and Glenwood Road?

A nice memory. But that place was always a dump.

Ah...Connie's. We went to Connie's every Saturday for lunch when we were kids. (Sigh)
sigh

Missy...
I took Missy and 11 other Flyertalkers to L&B.

Dan
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:11 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I'm probably going to get flamed by the locals, but I've had terrific pizza several times at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.

Don't flame me! It's just what I like!!
Old Apr 19, 2003, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
SXJ,

Consider yourself 'flamed' for not inviting us with you.

Dan
Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by essxjay:
I'm probably going to get flamed by the locals, but I've had terrific pizza several times at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.

Don't flame me! It's just what I like!!
</font>
Its not like Master Pizza on Forest Avenue but I'll give it my thumbs up as well. Plus, the Brooklyn Ice Cream parlor is steps away, with a wonderful view of the skyline and the bridge. How can you miss?
Old Apr 27, 2003, 1:07 pm

I miss the old Splendore's Pizza on Rockaway Parkway in Brooklyn in the 1970s before they suffered damage as a result of a fire. I was young then, and Pete made excellent pizzas. They rebuilt and re-opened, but the pizza was just not the same anymore, and Pete no longer worked behind the counter there.

I used to wonder if Pete's last name was Zah...
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:05 pm

Would the native New York posters agree that there are distinct differences between the pizza in each of the five boroughs of NYC?

I can recall the pizza that I used to have as a kid on Staten Island, and finding out years later that Brooklyn pizza was very similar. I never cared for any pizza I had in Queens and I've never had pizza in the Bronx if you don't count the pizza at Yankee Stadium -- which I don't.

Any thoughts?
Old May 2, 2003, 5:48 pm

Of the five boroughs, Brooklyn always had the best pizza.

I never understood the Rays craze in Manhattan.
Old May 18, 2003, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Of the five boroughs, Brooklyn always had the best pizza.

I never understood the Rays craze in Manhattan.
</font>
It's hard for me to admit this, but I haven't even been to Staten Island in all my years of living here (though I've heard it's quite lovely).

I do agree that Brooklyn's pizza is best, though again, Abitino's in Manhattan is very fine, also. Part of the explanation for that (from an armchair expert) may be that Brooklyn is more local (and Italian) and Manhattan more touristy, and Manhattan pizza shops make pizza for a customer less discriminating and fussier about types of cheese, toppings, making a more generic pizza less troublesome. Who knows?

As to Famous Original Ray's, the appeal with them is price and convenience for an excellent product. I happen to like their pizza very much; I also happen to like just about everything on their menu - filling, tasty and fresh. Also, for a Manhattan chow joint, it's amazingly cost-effective. And they deliver just about anywhere in the city promptly. Is their pizza best? No, no doubt about that, but for something cheap and with all their locations, it's hard to beat.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anonplz:
It's hard for me to admit this, but I haven't even been to Staten Island in all my years of living here (though I've heard it's quite lovely).</font>
I may not be able to convince you about the significance of eating breakfast everyday , but maybe I can convince you that it's time to expand those horizons of yours and get yourself to SI. And do I have an itinerary for you! Sometime between early June and the end of August, why not go see phenomenal minor league baseball. Spend an afternoon and evening at a minor league ballpark and cheer for the Staten Island Yankees (http://www.siyanks.com). It's a lot of fun, you can see tomorrow's all stars up close, and it's inexpensive to boot. Just take the SI Ferry to and from Manhattan. The stadium is right next door to the ferry landing. The ferry ride is great (and free) so the whole experience is really worthwhile. And to stick with the theme of this thread, you do pass a pizzeria or two on the way there.
Old May 19, 2003, 4:32 pm

I've never been much of a Ray's fan myself either, although, I did agree to drive up from Philly with five buddies one night for a true NYC pizza experience and we went to Ray's for that (probably had to do with the fact that it was close to 11 PM and you probably don't want to touch any of the pizza that's left at most other pizza places at that hour of the day), but that was nearly 25 years ago. Much has changed in that time.

In Manhattan, John's is pretty decent, as is Lombardi's. If I'm picking, I'd cross the Brooklyn Bridge and go to Grimaldi's.
Old May 20, 2003, 10:29 pm

Dunno. I think Ben's on 3rd is pretty good.
Old May 30, 2003, 5:24 pm

I've never been and perhaps it is too geared to the tourist market, but has anyone tried Lombard (Lombardis?) before? I've seen it advertised on television as American's first pizza joint, but have never been and am quite curious if it is worth the effort to go there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.