Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Huge increase in base fare to $70 for taxi from JFK - Manhattan (from Dec 19, 2022)

Huge increase in base fare to $70 for taxi from JFK - Manhattan (from Dec 19, 2022)

Old Jan 11, 23, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Stunned to find out today that the base fare (before supplements, tolls etc) is now a whopping $70!

Doing some searching itís the first increase in almost 10 years and a 33% increase over the previous $52.

Iím not saying drivers should have fare increase due to gas and other price inflation but surely annual increases will be more palatable in future,
Old Jan 11, 23, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TLC document suggests the last fare increase to JFK was in September 2012, which is a bit over 10 years ago (not sure why media saying "almost 10 years").
That's an average annual increase of 2.9%. For reference, the overall CPI between 9/12 and 11/22 (latest available until tomorrow I think) increased at an compound average annual rate of 2.5%. In the NYC area the CPI only grew at a +1.5% annual rate (surprisingly).

Apparently the original plan was for a $65 flat rate, but after public comment (presumably from the drivers, not the public passengers!) they raised it to $70. At $65 it would have been a 2.2% annual increase (below overall inflation).

I do agree more frequent increases make more sense, although presumably it's quite an effort to get something like this done (as well as MTA fares).
Old Jan 11, 23, 11:44 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Not just the base JFK-Manhattan fare. I had a major case of sticker shock when my previously $50 JFK to Brooklyn fare was $70 this past Saturday.
Old Jan 11, 23, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, of course, to be clear, meter fares and the various surcharges (rush-hour, nights) also increased significantly.
Old Jan 12, 23, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Stunned to find out today that the base fare (before supplements, tolls etc) is now a whopping $70!

Doing some searching itís the first increase in almost 10 years and a 33% increase over the previous $52.

Iím not saying drivers should have fare increase due to gas and other price inflation but surely annual increases will be more palatable in future,
Maybe Manhattan taxi drivers should start going on strike every other month like transit workers in the UK seem to do, in order to keep things moving up going forward!

Regards
Old Jan 12, 23, 9:02 am

And don't forget Airtrain went up $0.25 to $8.25 as well, what a bargin.
Old Jan 12, 23, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
On some days, a one-way car rental between Manhattan and JFK could be cheaper.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 12, 23, 11:50 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
We live close to a 6 Train station; I'm gonna start looking at taking the LIRR out of Grand Central to/from Jamaica as an option, especially on the weekends.
Old Jan 12, 23, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
We live close to a 6 Train station; I'm gonna start looking at taking the LIRR out of Grand Central to/from Jamaica as an option, especially on the weekends.
Why especially on weekends? Unless you will be departing GCT between 4 pm and 8 pm on weekdays, you should be able to purchase a $5 City Ticket for the LIRR trip to Jamaica at all other times.
Old Jan 12, 23, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Most of my departures during the weekdays are after work so during the 4pm - 8pm peak commuting fares. Still a better cost proposition to $80-`$100 taxi/rideshares.
guv1976 and GUWonder like this.
Old Jan 12, 23, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Most of my departures during the weekdays are after work so during the 4pm - 8pm peak commuting fares. Still a better cost proposition to $80-`$100 taxi/rideshares.
OK. If you plan to take public transportation to and from JFK for more than one roundtrip in any 30-day period, I assume you know about the AirTrain 10-trip Metrocard, available for $25 (plus the $1 new-card fee), right?
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jan 13, 23, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not a fan of the increase, but I understand why it has to jump now. Money is just not worth what it used to be worth even at this time last year.
Old Jan 13, 23, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
OK. If you plan to take public transportation to and from JFK for more than one roundtrip in any 30-day period, I assume you know about the AirTrain 10-trip Metrocard, available for $25 (plus the $1 new-card fee), right?

Or one could take the subway and the Q10 or B15 bus to JFK for only $2.75.
bhomburg likes this.
Old Jan 15, 23, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Not a fan of the increase, but I understand why it has to jump now. Money is just not worth what it used to be worth even at this time last year.
I'm surprised it has stayed as "cheap" as it has been for years. I used to take a taxi or car service for years and years, and recently switched to LIRR or Subway not just because of $ but because it has been faster.
dhammer53 and GUWonder like this.
Old Jan 17, 23, 10:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Delta Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Titanium + Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
And don't forget Airtrain went up $0.25 to $8.25 as well, what a bargin.
Uh? It's still $8. Not to say it's cheap, but no additional increases after the 25 cent increase last year.

​​​​​​

Search this Thread