America - USA

New York City

Any secrets to seeing the parade?

Old Nov 18, 22, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My sister and brother in law (from Michigan) will be in NYC on Thanksgiving celebrating my niece's birthday (niece lives in Brooklyn) and I know the parade has always been on her bucket list. She has had a hard year (medical issues) and I know that would be a real pick me up. They are going to Boucherie in Union Square for Thanksgiving dinner so somewhat in the neighborhood before. Is there any secret to getting to view the parade...at least some of it?
Old Nov 18, 22, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Here is the route / website https://www.macys.com/social/parade/where-to-watch/

the parade is over by lunchtime so I’d divorce it from your evening dinner plans. In any case Union Square is 20 blocks south of the end of the parade route.

there have been threads in previous years on the parade and “best” spots to watch so search for those
corky likes this.
Old Nov 19, 22, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky View Post
My sister and brother in law (from Michigan) will be in NYC on Thanksgiving celebrating my niece's birthday (niece lives in Brooklyn) and I know the parade has always been on her bucket list. She has had a hard year (medical issues) and I know that would be a real pick me up. They are going to Boucherie in Union Square for Thanksgiving dinner so somewhat in the neighborhood before. Is there any secret to getting to view the parade...at least some of it?

Get to a viewing spot early, probably around 6:00 AM. Hope for good weather but dress warm. If you can afford it, buy a hotel room on the parade route, or a seat in a restaurant along the parade route. The route is about 2.5 miles long. Road closures etc will start well before the parade.

I brought my family to see the parade back in 2018. It was the coldest Thanksgiving on record but we watched the parade from the JW Essex House which is on the route.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 19, 22, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewstahl View Post
Get to a viewing spot early, probably around 6:00 AM. Hope for good weather but dress warm. If you can afford it, buy a hotel room on the parade route, or a seat in a restaurant along the parade route. The route is about 2.5 miles long. Road closures etc will start well before the parade.

I brought my family to see the parade back in 2018. It was the coldest Thanksgiving on record but we watched the parade from the JW Essex House which is on the route.
I am sure it is way too late for a hotel room to watch from.
She would be happy just to see 10 or 15 minutes of it...they aren't trying to see the whole parade.
Old Nov 20, 22, 7:05 am

Some people make it to see the balloons being inflated the night before (Wed. the 23rd) and it's become some kind of "event". That's up on Central Park West near the Museum of Natural History. The weather looks to be decent for this time of year, it will be very crowded though..

This link gives somewhat of an idea of what I'm referring to.
https://www.newyorklatinculture.com/...oon-inflation/
corky likes this.
Old Nov 20, 22, 11:44 am

To elaborate on this, the balloons are blown up on 77th Street and 81st Street, between Central Park West and Columbus. Used to be you could just walk in and look, but now there are lines and police barricades and the like. Might take some time to access.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to all who posted here. They made it to the parade and have a decent viewing spot! Perfect weather too.
Old Nov 24, 22, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thanks to all who posted here. They made it to the parade and have a decent viewing spot! Perfect weather too.
Where did they view the parade from?

David
Old Yesterday, 4:26 pm

BTW, my Manhattan garage posts a notice mid November each year that there will be no monthly cars allowed in or out during Thanksgiving morning without 24 hours notice. They say it is their busiest parking day of the year.
corky likes this.
Old Yesterday, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Where did they view the parade from?

David
IDK yet. I haven't talked to her. Maybe tomorrow.
Old Yesterday, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
IDK yet. I haven't talked to her. Maybe tomorrow.
Look forward to finding out what their decision/location was (and pics! )

David

Search this Thread