Wiki Posts
Search

NYC No Longer Includes EWR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NYC No Longer Includes EWR

Due to go into effect on Oct. 3, Newark will be removed from the NYC city code.

In the case of the New York metro, all three airports are currently listed under the city code NYC, though each has its own airport code as well: EWR, JFK, LGA. But IATA's new standard, which is due to go into effect on Oct. 3, will remove Newark from the NYC city code and give it its own.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/newark-airport-no-longer-considered-203251020.html

Finally we get to boot EWR back into the Mid-Atlantic forum along with Delaware, Scranton, and friends.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Thank god . Who the hell wants to go to New Jersey?
(I flew out of EWR last month for the first time in as long as I can remember and I'm still a bit nauseated.)
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
what does this actually mean for airlines, and travelers if anything?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you search for flights to NYC as the airport code you will get LGA and JFK in the results but not EWR.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:16 pm
mjm
Original Member

What is the rationale for this? An economic reason? Something else? It would seem searching for flights to/from easy transfer places like EWR to JFK would be of benefit without two searches.
M60_to_LGA and Ghoulish like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
what does this actually mean for airlines, and travelers if anything?
Land of the no left turn and since they raised gas taxes and PA Bridge tolls I don't even go there for gas anymore.

Airlines can now file different pricing structures and since it is not part of a city code in the case of IROPS you can be charged a price increase for switching to that airport I am guessing .
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This is an absolutely horrible idea. I can't think of any valid reason for doing this, other than airlines trying to screw over passengers.
ExpatExp and Ghoulish like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
This is an absolutely horrible idea. I can't think of any valid reason for doing this, other than airlines trying to screw over passengers.
Agreed, this is a total nightmare for the (admittedly limited number of) folks who can reasonably use any of the airports. Fares could always be filed with rules restricting them to any particular airport
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
One less thing for NYers to complain about.

David
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Agreed, this is a total nightmare for the (admittedly limited number of) folks who can reasonably use any of the airports. Fares could always be filed with rules restricting them to any particular airport
How is the number of people who can use any of the airports limited? The vast majority of tourists coming to NY will be going to Manhattan (or maybe north Brooklyn), which makes EWR a very easy trip on public transportation. Same for many business travelers coming to the city - it's much easier to get to/from Midtown or lower Manhattan by transit from EWR than from either of the Queens airports. If EWR is considered a different city, then what about BWI/DCA/IAD? Both BWI and IAD are way farther away from DC than EWR is from Manhattan.

As a NYC resident (and one who lives in Queens at that), this actually makes me angry.
awayIgo likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA
From Cranky Flier: Newark Leaving the NYC City Code Is Not a Big Deal
ijgordon and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mjm
What is the rationale for this? An economic reason? Something else? It would seem searching for flights to/from easy transfer places like EWR to JFK would be of benefit without two searches.
I'm guessing that customers were searching for NYC, didn't look at the results carefully, and later were upset/angry when they missed the flight or discovered after purchase that their tickets were from NJ and not NY.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:22 pm

The whole "city" grouping is stupid. Airports frequently are not in a city anyway, so matching "San Francisco" to SFO doesn't make sense if you specifically mean something in the city of San Francisco.
Letting people be lazy and punch in whatever and expect the perfect result doesn't make sense.

I am not sure which websites people use, but most booking engines give you an assortment of airports nearby. Alaska's website gives you an option for all LA metro airports when you punch in one, but to 99% of people looking for BUR why would you consider SNA, 53 miles away and who knows how long in traffic.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar
Thank you! That greatly assuages my concerns.

So it seems like if I enter a search to/from "NYC" online, that will still give results for all three airports.

Apparently all the hubbub arose from one Lufthansa screenshot?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:40 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm guessing that customers were searching for NYC, didn't look at the results carefully, and later were upset/angry when they missed the flight or discovered after purchase that their tickets were from NJ and not NY.
Thankfully this has been cleared up by the article posted by angetenar above. A change like this to accommodate people not knowing how to check the details of their reservation prior pushing the "Purchase" button did not make any sense at all actually. There are too many other similar codes that would be unaffected by such a change as the EWR one. The ability to price differently and set different airports as part of or excluded from a co-terminal definition makes eminently more sense.

Big sigh of relief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.