Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

NYC No Longer Includes EWR

NYC No Longer Includes EWR

Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm guessing that customers were searching for NYC, didn't look at the results carefully, and later were upset/angry when they missed the flight or discovered after purchase that their tickets were from NJ and not NY.
Well that’s their fault then!

Plus this sort of code change wouldn’t stop some people ending up in Sydney Nova Scotia instead of Australia or Grenada instead of Granada and vice versa.

Is AA for example going to start using the 24 hour clock because some people can’t recognise the difference between am / pm? I don’t think so.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Apparently all the hubbub arose from one Lufthansa screenshot?
Of course, we know that the internet would never misinterpret anything.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Let's give Newark some credit...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm guessing that customers were searching for NYC, didn't look at the results carefully, and later were upset/angry when they missed the flight or discovered after purchase that their tickets were from NJ and not NY.
Or...

Customers who were planning a romantic weekend getaway in Newark and thought they were getting 48h without ever having to leave the city limits were angry when their flight landed in Queens.

​​​​​​
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:25 am

Now if only we could get the Giants/Jets to drop NY from their names...
Blumie and MisterBill like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Schnit
Now if only we could get the Giants/Jets to drop NY from their names...
They'd want stadia built out over the Hudson or East River and funded by taxpayers.

David
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
One less thing for NYers to complain about.

David
How is the number of people who can use any of the airports limited? The vast majority of tourists coming to NY will be going to Manhattan (or maybe north Brooklyn), which makes EWR a very easy trip on public transportation. Same for many business travelers coming to the city - it's much easier to get to/from Midtown or lower Manhattan by transit from EWR than from either of the Queens airports. If EWR is considered a different city, then what about BWI/DCA/IAD? Both BWI and IAD are way farther away from DC than EWR is from Manhattan.

As a NYC resident (and one who lives in Queens at that), this actually makes me angry.
Ooops. Too late. Never mind.

David
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:22 am

They'd want stadia built out over the Hudson or East River and funded by taxpayers.

David
MetLife stadium wasn't enough?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MetLife stadium wasn't enough?
Short of buying some corner of Manhattan for stadia, probably not.

David
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:37 am

Short of buying some corner of Manhattan for stadia, probably not.

David
how would that get the teams to drop NY from their names?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how would that get the teams to drop NY from their names?
It wouldn't. It would actually make their names accurate again.

David
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by mjm
Thankfully this has been cleared up by the article posted by angetenar above. A change like this to accommodate people not knowing how to check the details of their reservation prior pushing the "Purchase" button did not make any sense at all actually. There are too many other similar codes that would be unaffected by such a change as the EWR one. The ability to price differently and set different airports as part of or excluded from a co-terminal definition makes eminently more sense.

Big sigh of relief.
Returning to this topic a day later, would any airline be stupid/evil enough to actually remove EWR from the NYC coterminal grouping? If I were facing a multi-hour delay to LGA and was refused the chance to change to a departing flight to EWR because "it's not the same destination," I'd be livid.

I have a hard time thinking a US air carrier would do that, but maybe foreign airlines? (As I guess was perhaps alluded to with regard to Lufthansa).
mjm likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is the number of people who can use any of the airports limited? The vast majority of tourists coming to NY will be going to Manhattan (or maybe north Brooklyn), which makes EWR a very easy trip on public transportation. Same for many business travelers coming to the city - it's much easier to get to/from Midtown or lower Manhattan by transit from EWR than from either of the Queens airports. If EWR is considered a different city, then what about BWI/DCA/IAD? Both BWI and IAD are way farther away from DC than EWR is from Manhattan.
Fair point, I was only thinking about NYC-originating pax and for that it’s really just folks in Manhattan, Staten Island, and parts of the Bronx who should really be agnostic. (I suspect you may be an outlier among Queens residents )
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Returning to this topic a day later, would any airline be stupid/evil enough to actually remove EWR from the NYC coterminal grouping? If I were facing a multi-hour delay to LGA and was refused the chance to change to a departing flight to EWR because "it's not the same destination," I'd be livid.

I have a hard time thinking a US air carrier would do that, but maybe foreign airlines? (As I guess was perhaps alluded to with regard to Lufthansa).
I believe at least some of the domestic airlines have a distance-based rule for alternate destinations during IRROPS (and probably advance schedule changes). Like 250 or 300 miles. I don’t know if LH would send you to BOS or PHL if EWR/JFK was closed or whatever but pretty sure at least DL/AA would.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar
P-H-E-W!!!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As someone who is partially based in Manhattan, EWR is just as viable option as LGA or JFK. This is a negative simply because I now have to do two searches for flights rather than one. For me it is mostly pricing out TATL business class flights.

For example Air France is now flying at least once a day to EWR and it is cheaper than JFK. But it might or might not be cheaper than UA or to EWR or BA to JFK, etc. I can see it all today with one simple search to NYC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.