Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

West Side Hotel Recommendations for 1 Night

Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

I will be in NYC for one night the day after Christmas this year and was hoping to get some recommendations on hotels. I haven't been to the city in 3 years now and I don't know what has weathered the pandemic well.

I'll be visiting inlaws on LI and then staying in the city on the 26th in order to catch an 8:30 am flight out of EWR the next morning. I'll be there with my partner, but we will be spending the day with her family, probably catching a matinee show.

Any recommendations for hotels on the west side to make the next morning trip to Newark easier?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:48 pm
Original Member

Hello and welcome. This thread dedicated to luxury hotels and travel is not the best forum for your query. Others here may recommend better threads.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I only saw forum for hotel chains and then specific reviews. Apologies if I missed the appropriate forum.

To be clear, I am looking for a luxury hotel rec. Is there an NYC consolidated thread under this forum that I should use?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

My husband and I stayed at the Beacon a few years back. While not exactly luxury... it was wonderful and we loved our stay. We had a suite that looked south ( see photo), west to the park and east to the river.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:58 pm
Original Member

try this thread:
Luxury Hotels In New York

A luxury hotel for one night is a poor way to spend money.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I wouldn't go west of 6th Ave, with one or two exceptions. The west side has become rather dodgy since the pandemic. But one nice exception is the Equinox hotel at Hudson Yards. Nice area and nice hotel. With perhaps one of the best hotel gyms in the world as it is part of the Equinox Hudson Yards sports club.
FlyerEC and HNL1K like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:12 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going to move this to the dedicated NYC forum where it should get better responses.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:57 am
Original Poster

RichardInSF Thank you, I appreciate the help.

And thank you for your concern for my finances. My question, however, still stands.
Blumie likes this.

Last edited by COtraveltrip; Jul 27, 2022 at 11:04 am
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
If proximity to EWR is important, consider downtown/financial district. It's a quick trip out of the city via the Holland tunnel, there are many nice hotels in the area, and you get to avoid midtown, which is pretty unappealing these days (if it ever was). I like the Beekman, mostly for the bar and restaurant although I have stayed in a room once and it was quite comfortable.
HNL1K likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:31 pm

Traffic should be light at that time the day after xmas so location might not be as important. Maybe pick based on other factors? Bryant Park has some decent options that are good value. E.g. Park Terrace.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking this, though wasn't sure how easy traffic would be on the 27th. I'll probably just look Soho, west village, maybe even meatpacking since we'll probably prefer to be around those areas once the in-laws head back to LI.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
I wouldn't go west of 6th Ave, with one or two exceptions.
Wat? This can't be further from the truth.

OP, west side is a big area, maybe you can narrow it down a bit. In terms of ease to EWR, if you would be traveling using public transport, maybe stay close to Penn Station.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I wouldn't go west of 6th Ave, with one or two exceptions. The west side has become rather dodgy since the pandemic. But one nice exception is the Equinox hotel at Hudson Yards. Nice area and nice hotel. With perhaps one of the best hotel gyms in the world as it is part of the Equinox Hudson Yards sports club.
Yes, the Hudson Yards area is one of the newest gentrifications in the city, if you can call it that. I do love walking the High Line. Quite a unique glimpse of NYC.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Wat? This can't be further from the truth.

OP, west side is a big area, maybe you can narrow it down a bit. In terms of ease to EWR, if you would be traveling using public transport, maybe stay close to Penn Station.
To be clear, this thread was originally in the Luxury Hotel forum and a mod moved it here. So my comments were about top level luxury hotels. Is there any west side hotel in the class of the Equinox?

Last edited by stimpy; Jul 27, 2022 at 5:50 pm
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Wow 12 replies and only one actual hotel recommendation.

OP needs to provide a bit more input.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.