Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Restaurant Week

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

NYC Restaurant Week

From July 18-August 21, Restaurant Week in NYC is really a month long celebration of gastronomy and food culture. This year will mark the 30th anniversary of this celebration of food at reduced pricing. For those of you who love wine, I have always enjoyed the Generous Pour Event at The Capital Grille. Until September 4, for $32 per person, you get to sample six Tuscan wines and pair them with your meal. You can mix and match and drink as much as you can handle. It's an even more enticing bargain when you dine at reduced pricing during Restaurant Week. I make it a habit to spend a weekend in NYC during the event, just to (over)indulge.

NYC Restaurant Week:
https://www.nycgo.com/restaurant-week/

The Capital Grille Generous Pour Wine Tasting Event:
https://www.thecapitalgrille.com/eve...r-wine-tasting
corky likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyme2
<snip> Until September 4, for $32 per person, you get to sample six Tuscan wines and pair them with your meal. You can mix and match and drink as much as you can handle.
How does "sample six Tuscan wines" equate to "drink as much as you can handle?" In following the links you've provided I can't see anything that implies one can "drink as much as they can handle" with this offer (not that I'm looking to that, but I'm curious nonetheless)

Regard
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
From July 18-August 21, Restaurant Week in NYC is really a month long celebration of gastronomy and food culture. This year will mark the 30th anniversary of this celebration of food at reduced pricing. For those of you who love wine, I have always enjoyed the Generous Pour Event at The Capital Grille. Until September 4, for $32 per person, you get to sample six Tuscan wines and pair them with your meal. You can mix and match and drink as much as you can handle. It's an even more enticing bargain when you dine at reduced pricing during Restaurant Week. I make it a habit to spend a weekend in NYC during the event, just to (over)indulge.

NYC Restaurant Week:
https://www.nycgo.com/restaurant-week/

The Capital Grille Generous Pour Wine Tasting Event:
https://www.thecapitalgrille.com/eve...r-wine-tasting

I don’t believe Capital Grille is participating in Restaurant Week this year.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
Yah - looks that way. There are two Applebee's (Midtown and Times Square) that are.

David
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
How does "sample six Tuscan wines" equate to "drink as much as you can handle?" In following the links you've provided I can't see anything that implies one can "drink as much as they can handle" with this offer (not that I'm looking to that, but I'm curious nonetheless)

Regard
You sample any number of the six wines they have on offer. You then choose the one(s) you wish to enjoy with your meal. Your glass(es) are continually topped up. That's the way it has been in the 10 or so years that I've enjoyed the Great Pour both in Boston and New York. Be aware that everyone at the table must pay the surcharge, whether they drink or not (that's me these days, I'm afraid).

From a wine lovers message board regarding the GP from a few years back:

....Last week I took my gf out for her 45th.
Was told by waitress about the generous pour, $28 for as much as you want of 8 wines. Blew it off at first, then checked out the wines and saw 2010 Arrowood Reserve Speciale Cabernet. Sold me.
I ended up drinonk a bottle of the 2010, and then the somm sent over the 2005, which was in a better place than the 2010.
For $28, I def got my money's worth!!
Also had a Pinot Grigio somehow affiliated with Drew Barrymore.
The theme is that each of the 8 wines is made by or owned by a woman.
This runs through August...

Last edited by flyme2; Jul 23, 2022 at 7:59 pm Reason: clarity, typo
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
I believe you're right. I can't find anything other than a reference to a past year. I imagine there's no way to include beef as part of the NYC RW pricing guidelines. I just love their Kona crusted NY strip, which goes for around $61.

Last edited by flyme2; Jul 23, 2022 at 8:07 pm
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Boulud Sud, another of my favourites that is part of NYC RW Summer 2022:

https://www.nycgo.com/restaurant-wee...ekMeals=dinner
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
You sample any number of the six wines they have on offer. You then choose the one(s) you wish to enjoy with your meal. Your glass(es) are continually topped up. That's the way it has been in the 10 or so years that I've enjoyed the Great Pour both in Boston and New York. Be aware that everyone at the table must pay the surcharge, whether they drink or not (that's me these days, I'm afraid).<snip>
I mean, ok, fair enough if that is your experience. But I can find literally nothing documented which actually states that. And if its true, one would think they would actually want to clearly state it as it would be a huge selling point. I mean, there is a big difference between, "you get to taste 6 wines for $32" vs. "you get to taste six wines for $32 and then drink as much as you can handle with one of those for the rest of the night."

Regards
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
I mean, ok, fair enough if that is your experience. But I can find literally nothing documented which actually states that. And if its true, one would think they would actually want to clearly state it as it would be a huge selling point. I mean, there is a big difference between, "you get to taste 6 wines for $32" vs. "you get to taste six wines for $32 and then drink as much as you can handle with one of those for the rest of the night."

Regards
They didn't mention it in the past either. I think the reason is pretty obvious. Simple solution: call a location to find out, and then you can report back here with certainty and have satiated your curiosity.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
As Restaurant Week prices have gone up over the years, the incentive for me has gone down. When this first started it was a good way to try new places at a price. Even pre-Covid, the bargains have long since past.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

While I'll agree that the bargains of the past have diminished, there are still some gems and credit card tie-ins that are lucrative. I'll be in NYC for a few days partaking, nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.