FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Getting to JFK for a 6 am flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/2084400-getting-jfk-6-am-flight.html)

giacona Jun 25, 2022 5:50 am

Getting to JFK for a 6 am flight

I need some advice on getting to JFK for a 6am international flight on JetBlue. NJ transit has a 2:30 am bus that would get me into port authority around 3:30 am. Then I could take a subway 1 stop to Penn station and take the LIRR to Jamaica and then hop on the air train. I have a feeling I would be cutting it close by doing this. Plus if the bus is late or does not show up I am screwed. I looked into the NJ transit train schedules and they do not work.

I am thinking I should just take a Taxi or Uber/Lyft and be done with it. I being quotes around 99 dollars from uber/lyft but this does not include tolls/fees.

Unfortunately there is only 1 flight per day to the destination I am going and United only has seasonal service from EWR so they don't have any flights to that destination.

Blumie Jun 25, 2022 9:07 am

Take the NJT bus to the Port Authority. It likely will be on time, but if it’s not you can hop in a taxi there. If it is on time, just walk to Penn Station assuming there’s a reasonably scheduled train from there.

ijgordon Jun 25, 2022 10:27 am

Personally I’d go the night before and stay at the TWA hotel and make an evening of it with the ppl, bar and restaurant. Then walk 5 minute minutes to the terminal after a “full” night of sleep.

guv1976 Jun 25, 2022 10:58 am

In the early morning hours, the Queens-bound E subway departs 42nd Street & 8th Avenue for Jamaica every 20 minutes. It runs local in Queens at that time of day, so the trip to Sutphin/Archer/JFK Station would take 45 minutes, vs. ~ 20 minutes for the LIRR. But it would not require you to make your way from PABT to Penn Station.

giacona Jun 25, 2022 11:24 am

Thanks. I think you are onto something. Sounds like a better plan then taking the subway to Penn, then having to wait for the LIRR. Since this is an international 6 am flight do you think I will have a problem making it through security at 4:45/5 am to make my flight on time? This is Jetblue terminal 5.

My other option would be taking a cab when I get to port authority

guv1976 Jun 25, 2022 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by giacona (Post 34368508)
Thanks. I think you are onto something. Sounds like a better plan then taking the subway to Penn, then having to wait for the LIRR. Since this is an international 6 am flight do you think I will have a problem making it through security at 4:45/5 am to make my flight on time? This is Jetblue terminal 5.

My other option would be taking a cab when I get to port authority

Can't comment on the time needed to get through T5 security at JFK. That particular question should probably be posted in the JetBlue forum.

Will you be checking baggage? If so, what is B6's baggage-check deadline at JFK on international departures?

Dr Jabadski Jul 8, 2022 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 34368371)
... I’d go the night before and stay at the TWA hotel ... walk 5 minute minutes to the terminal ...

Seconded.

I'm basically local (to JFK), for my last few flights from JFK I’ve gotten to the airport hours prior to flight time just to walk around the TWA Hotel (and visit the USO to get some fat pills* :eek: ), it has many museum type and quality displays. Every time I think about staying overnight but I like sleeping in my own bed and the enjoyment of an early morning no traffic drive to JFK outweighs an afternoon/evening rush hour drive and stay.

If you can get there early enough the prior day to explore, I highly recommend it. If you’re just going to be sleeping and showering probably not worth it. FWIW, TWA Hotel terminal entrance/exit is to/from the Jet Blue terminal, maybe only 4 minutes ;) (even with luggage) .

Originally Posted by giacona (Post 34367823)
… just take a Taxi or Uber/Lyft and be done with it. I being quotes around 99 dollars from uber/lyft but this does not include tolls/fees…

Second (choice) seconded idea.

I’m not certain of NJ but from and to Westchester all tolls have been included in Lyft/Uber fares and added to taxi fares. At the time of day you’re describing there should be little traffic, rush hour onset in the metro area is about 6:15am, my drive to a hospital in NJ (over the GWB) was 40 minutes if I left home prior to 6:15, at 6:30 and after it was at least an additional 15-45 minutes. 6:15 to 6:30 is a crapshoot.

When headed for a once a day flight I plan for as few “getting to the airport” problems as possible, I’m very hesitant to rely on public transportation, never know when a subway shooting or delay or outage will ruin you day. Lyft and Uber may be the most convenient (schedule ahead of time) and have the easiest back-up plans (one fails, call another or the other). Figure I’m only making a once-a-day flight every once-in-a-while, it’s worth the added cost. Completely different planning than for a LGA-ORD flight or JFK-MIA flight.

(fat pill: (noun) A doughnut or other small sweet pastry. Example: If you keep scarfing down those fat pills your derriere is gonna need it's own zip code. :eek:)

Blumie Jul 9, 2022 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 34408920)
Seconded.

I'm basically local (to JFK), for my last few flights from JFK I’ve gotten to the airport hours prior to flight time just to walk around the TWA Hotel (and visit the USO to get some fat pills* :eek: ), it has many museum type and quality displays. Every time I think about staying overnight but I like sleeping in my own bed and the enjoyment of an early morning no traffic drive to JFK outweighs an afternoon/evening rush hour drive and stay.

If you can get there early enough the prior day to explore, I highly recommend it. If you’re just going to be sleeping and showering probably not worth it. FWIW, TWA Hotel terminal entrance/exit is to/from the Jet Blue terminal, maybe only 4 minutes ;) (even with luggage) .

Second (choice) seconded idea.

I’m not certain of NJ but from and to Westchester all tolls have been included in Lyft/Uber fares and added to taxi fares. At the time of day you’re describing there should be little traffic, rush hour onset in the metro area is about 6:15am, my drive to a hospital in NJ (over the GWB) was 40 minutes if I left home prior to 6:15, at 6:30 and after it was at least an additional 15-45 minutes. 6:15 to 6:30 is a crapshoot.

When headed for a once a day flight I plan for as few “getting to the airport” problems as possible, I’m very hesitant to rely on public transportation, never know when a subway shooting or delay or outage will ruin you day. Lyft and Uber may be the most convenient (schedule ahead of time) and have the easiest back-up plans (one fails, call another or the other). Figure I’m only making a once-a-day flight every once-in-a-while, it’s worth the added cost. Completely different planning than for a LGA-ORD flight or JFK-MIA flight.

(fat pill: (noun) A doughnut or other small sweet pastry. Example: If you keep scarfing down those fat pills your derriere is gonna need it's own zip code. :eek:)

I don’t know the statistics, but I’m guessing a Lyft or Uber breakdown or accident is more likely to cause a delay than a subway shooting. YMMV