Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from JFK to LGA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Getting from JFK to LGA

My trip to DBV is basically forcing me to route via LGW which means the single LGW-JFK daily. It gets in at 6:00 pm. I've got a separate LGA-DCA booked and that flight leaves at 10:00 pm.

I will have 1) no checked bags, 2) nothing to declare, and 3) Precheck on the LGA-DCA leg.

I am assuming this should be enough time to get from JFK to LGA?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Absolutely.

How do you want to make the transfer? You should have enough time to do it by public transportation if you want to save some money.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Absolutely.

How do you want to make the transfer? You should have enough time to do it by public transportation if you want to save some money.
I am assuming Air Train (which I've taken countless times) to the Q70?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I am assuming Air Train (which I've taken countless times) to the Q70?
The AirTrain goes to Jamaica Station; from there, you can either take the Long Island Rail Road to Woodside Station, or a Manhattan-bound "E" subway to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Avenue. The Q70 starts its run at Woodside Station; its first stop is the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Avenue subway station. Timewise, it's probably a wash: the LIRR is faster, but the subway runs more frequently, and Jackson Heights is a little closer to LGA than Woodside is.

The cheapest way is the AirTrain to T5 (free); the Q10 or Q10 Limited to the end of the line (Kew Gardens); a Manhattan-bound "E" or "F" train to Jackson Heights; and the Q70 from there. $5.50 all-in this way, but takes 75-90 minutes.
​​​​​​
Edited to add: As noted below, the Q10/Q10 Limited T5 bus stop is being eliminated as of March 27, 2022, due to construction. The Q10 and Q10 Limited will now begin and end their runs at the Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain station. The AirTrain can be ridden at no charge -- in either direction -- between the Lefferts Boulevard station and the JFK terminals.
GW McLintock likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 24, 2022 at 9:44 pm
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
That should be more than enough time. The LIRR might save you some time over the subway but IMHO it is not worth the premium in price, and you could just as soon lose any time savings if you have to wait for a Q70 in Woodside. Best bet is to take the AirTrain to the E to the Q70 LTD (and the subway to the bus will be a free transfer).

Note that the Q10 bus no longer goes to T5 due to construction

-J.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Will take all this into consideration. There was an option for LGA-DCA at 8:00 pm I but felt that was too tight of a connection given customs at JFK, traffic, etc. Of course, this will be in July which means thunderstorm season....so....who knows.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
As much as I am all for the Q10, I would pass on in this scenario, especially given 10pm is probably the last night of the day.

JFK Airtain to Jamaica station --> E (subway) train to Jackson Heights -> Q70 to LGA
$11.75 or $12.75 (if you need to buy a new MetroCard). You can lower the cost if you would be traveling to/from at least 4 times (2 roundtrips 1 person, 1 roundtrip party of 2, 1 way party of four) within a 30-day period.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Note that the Q10 bus no longer goes to T5 due to construction

-J.
It looks like this takes effect this Sunday, March 27. The "Howard Beach" AirTrain can be taken for free from the terminals to the Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain stop, which is also served by a Q10 Limited but stop. Details here, per the Port Authority:

https://jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train

​​​​

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 24, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
As much as I am all for the Q10, I would pass on in this scenario, especially given 10pm is probably the last night of the day.

JFK Airtain to Jamaica station --> E (subway) train to Jackson Heights -> Q70 to LGA
$11.75 or $12.75 (if you need to buy a new MetroCard). You can lower the cost if you would be traveling to/from at least 4 times (2 roundtrips 1 person, 1 roundtrip party of 2, 1 way party of four) within a 30-day period.
I think you mean $10.75 or $11.75.

While I'm not recommending one route over the other, I agree that the LIRR is not likely to save much, if any, time over the "E" subway.

As for the Q10 option, if the OP's inbound flight is on time and he breezes through Immigration, he would likely be at the Lefferts Boulevard Q10 bus stop by about 6:30, and should arrive at LGA by 8:00 pm. That said, if the OP has lounge access at LGA, or wants to try for the 8:00 pm departure (AA allows free same-day standby on earlier flights for everybody), he might prefer to get to LGA sooner rather than later.

If the OP does opt for the Q10=>E=>Q70 routing, no Metrocard would be needed: a contactless credit card or mobile-wallet payment would work on the buses and the subway.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 24, 2022 at 9:39 pm
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
It looks like this takes effect this Sunday, March 27. The "Howard Beach" AirTrain can be taken for free from the terminals to the Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain stop, which is also served by a Q10 Limited but stop. Details here, per the Port Authority:

https://jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train

​​​​
That's going to take forever, even if it is a LTD bus. Not worth it IMHO

-J.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
That's going to take forever, even if it is a LTD bus. Not worth it IMHO

-J.
It will certainly be slower than AirTrain=>E=>Q70 bus.

But the scheduled time of the Q10 Limited from the Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain station to the Kew Gardens terminus is just 27 minutes. Now, I've ridden NYC buses -- including the Q10 and Q10 Limited -- often enough to know that they don't always keep to schedule. But if one does not have an urgent need to get to LGA as quickly as possible, and wants to save a few bucks, it's an option.
​​​​​​
Some months ago, an FTer expressed an interest in getting from JFK to a Holiday Inn Express on Queens Boulevard in Woodside via public transportation on Thanksgiving night. He ended up taken the Q10 to Kew Gardens, and the Q60 from there to his hotel. It took about the 90 minutes he was expecting it to take, and he was satisfied with the route:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33773646-post17.html

Not every FTer would have chosen that route, but it worked for him.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 24, 2022 at 11:17 pm
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

It will certainly be slower than AirTrain=>E=>Q70 bus.

But the scheduled time of the Q10 Limited from the Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain station to the Kew Gardens terminus is just 27 minutes. Now, I've ridden NYC buses -- including the Q10 and Q10 Limited -- often enough to know that they don't always keep to schedule. But if one does not have an urgent need to get to LGA as quickly as possible, and wants to save a few bucks, it's an option.
​​​​​​
Some months ago, an FTer expressed an interest in getting from JFK to a Holiday Inn Express on Queens Boulevard in Woodside via public transportation on Thanksgiving night. He ended up taken the Q10 to Kew Gardens, and the Q60 from there to his hotel. It took about the 90 minutes he was expecting it to take, and he was satisfied with the route:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33773646-post17.html

Not every FTer would have chosen that route, but it worked for him.
I live a couple of subway stops from Kew Gardens so that's usually how I go to and from JFK. However the issue I foresee will be waiting for the AirTrain at Lefferts Blvd. Unless they increase the frequence, that alone could add 15 minutes to the trip on some days. Lefferts to T5 (as an example) takes about the same amount of time whether by bus or AirTrain, but it used to be that you were already on the bus.

-J.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Uber. 23 minutes and $49 last Tuesday.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I think you mean $10.75 or $11.75.

While I'm not recommending one route over the other, I agree that the LIRR is not likely to save much, if any, time over the "E" subway.

As for the Q10 option, if the OP's inbound flight is on time and he breezes through Immigration, he would likely be at the Lefferts Boulevard Q10 bus stop by about 6:30, and should arrive at LGA by 8:00 pm. That said, if the OP has lounge access at LGA, or wants to try for the 8:00 pm departure (AA allows free same-day standby on earlier flights for everybody), he might prefer to get to LGA sooner rather than later.
I have both Admirals Club and Centurion Lounge access and am aware the CL closes at 9:00 at LGA....
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Uber. 23 minutes and $49 last Tuesday.
Taxi cost would have been less costly > https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main....001,-73.794361

I'm seeing this in many domestic locations. A ride app wanted about $30 to go 2 miles in downtown Chicago. We ended up in a taxi for about $10. Go figure.

YMMV.
SFO777 and GW McLintock like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.