Search

Current hotel prices in New York City

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD , FBG
Current hotel prices in New York City

Hi,

I am currently looking at hotel prices for Manhattan, and I have never seen such high prices before.
I would say average price per night for an average hotel there is 500 USD.
Does anyone know why this is, what is pushing the prices so high?
And I am also a bit confused because from what I read a lot of people in the US are struggling because of the pandemic etc., so could it be domestic travellers that are willing to pay this much?
Could it be that since a lot of people have been waiting for the borders to open for tourism, people simply do not care how much they have to pay for some nights in the apple?

Thanks !
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As this doesn't seem to be directed at luxury hotels alone, I am going to move it to the NYC forum where it should get a better response.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

P.S. Plus it is not entirely true. NY Palace was just having a sale and I booked several nights in a 1BR Tower Suite at $700++/night (cancelable without penalty up to 24 hours before check-in). May not be the top hotel in NYC, but certainly a quite good one, especially at the Towers level.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kleffen
Hi,

I am currently looking at hotel prices for Manhattan, and I have never seen such high prices before.
And I am also a bit confused because from what I read a lot of people in the US are struggling because of the pandemic etc., so could it be domestic travellers that are willing to pay this much?
Could it be that since a lot of people have been waiting for the borders to open for tourism, people simply do not care how much they have to pay for some nights in the apple?

Thanks !
People that had money before the pandemic have way more money now due to major wealth and saving buildups during the pandemic, and so that has been followed by people pouring a lot of money from the demand side. First, it was overwhelmingly domestic demand, but now it’s layered with increased foreign demand too.

On the supply side, hotels are having staffing and other sourcing issues and are trying to push the limits to get whatever money the market allows for the rooms they can manage to operate at whatever level the hotels consider acceptable.

On average, this is a recipe to “Pay more, get less.”
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
A number of hotels have either closed full stop or have yet to reopen or are being used to house the homeless - this reduces supply

As a lot of overseas travel has been cancelled the domestic market has increased leading to increased demand

Lower supply and increased demand = rising prices

Prices are usually lower if you stay away from the prime touristy areas or if you book at Brooklyn or New Jersey rather than Manhatten
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:43 am

It sounds like you are looking at prices for right now/near future, which, on top of the reasons others gave above, is Festive in New York. Unlike most other places where festive is really just Christmas - New Years plus a few days on either end, generally speaking holiday pricing in NYC kicks in at Thanksgiving.

The mid-tier and lower hotels in NYC are struggling, but the luxury market is booming and availability is incredibly limited, hence the soaring rates.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
First, it was overwhelmingly domestic demand, but now it’s layered with increased foreign demand too.
Foreign demand will dry up soon due to Omicron.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kleffen
Hi,

Thanks !
Yes, people simply don't care how much they have to pay for hotel nights in Manhattan.

David
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by warakorn
Foreign demand will dry up soon due to Omicron.
Or not.
Admiral Ackbar and mtofell like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:20 am

Omicron - Wasn't this the name of that James Spader super duper villain character in one of those Marvel Avengers movies? IMHO, these men/women of science should consider investing in a marketing department.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Omicron - Wasn't this the name of that James Spader super duper villain character in one of those Marvel Avengers movies? IMHO, these men/women of science should consider investing in a marketing department.
Or pick an alphabet/symbol set besides Greek.

David
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:43 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
The average cost of a 4-5 star hotel in December 2019 was ~$470/night.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _fx
The average cost of a 4-5 star hotel in December 2019 was ~$470/night.
Horrors! That's too high. Even before the pandemic.

David
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
It's a relatively recent phenomenon. I stayed at several mid-range hotels in NYC in September, October, and the first week of November. Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Sheraton. Prices were reasonable. Around $200 per night tops. Even the Conrad Downtown for under $400. I've been trying to book for mid-December and the same mid-range hotels are $300-400. Conrad is like $700. No special events that I can tell.

I'm hoping Mr Omicron will help dampen things between now and then.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
As has been indicated above, December is high season in NYC. It always has been for as long as I can remember. Lots of annual traditions, not just big-city shopping. Fancy decorations in shop windows, tree and Ice-skating in Rockefeller Center, Radio City Christmas Show w/ Rockettes, elaborate tree and Italian creche at the Metropolitan Museum, fancy model train show and illuminations at NY Botanical Garden, Nutcracker at American Ballet Theatre, Times Square on New Year's Eve, etc.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I just checked at the place I stayed right before Covid in January of 2020 and it's about what I paid then - $125/night. It's called The New Yorker and is right in mid-town Manhattan. Literally across the street from Madison Square Garden. The hotel is old and the rooms are super-small but you're right in the middle of New York City. I'd gladly stay there again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.