Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Picking up family at JFK airport. Help needed

Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Hey fam. I’m picking up family coming in from GYE on the early morning of Nov 16 at like 5am. My only concern is my wife and I live far away in uptown Manhattan (think close to bronx for those not familiar with NYC) and taking the subway at 330am is sketchy in my area/local and slow and I don’t wanna pay 80 bucks for a taxi to JFK only to then turn around within 30 minutes after pickup and take another taxi. I was thinking to stay close at a hotel near JFK but the prices are a little high. Any suggestions for this?

sorry if this is posted in the wrong area btw
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If you have a driver license, have you looked into the cost of renting a car?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you have a driver license, have you looked into the cost of renting a car?
no license
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
How about taking a taxi to Penn Station, and then LIRR to Jamaica for the AirTrain? Be sure to check LIRR schedules first.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
How about taking a taxi to Penn Station, and then LIRR to Jamaica for the AirTrain? Be sure to check LIRR schedules first.
i guess this could be a possibility, yeah i have the LIRR app on my phone, i guess it also kind of depends if the flight from GYE leaves on time, which could allow us a little more time to arrive at JFK for pickup. B6 is kind of notorious for being tardy right?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
How many people are going to be in your group, and will they have a lot of luggage? Between the AirTrain and the LIRR (and the subsequent subway or taxi), in some cases a taxi or Uber/Lyft may actually be cheaper per person. I usually take the Q10 since it is only 10 minutes longer for me than the AirTrain (and much cheaper), however after a redeye flight and especially with luggage it isn't the most pleasant of commutes.

Airport hotels are known to be more expensive than even in Manhattan sometimes. Expand your search to central Queens or even Five Towns, just make sure the properties either have a shuttle or are otherwise accessible to the airport (public transit).

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Sorry to double post, but I just remembered that yellow and green cabs have a flat rate between JFK and Manhattan:

Trips between Manhattan and John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in either direction:
  • $52
  • Plus 50 cents MTA State Surcharge.
  • Plus 30 cents Improvement Surcharge.
  • $4.50 rush hour surcharge (4pm to 8pm weekdays, excluding legal holidays).
  • Plus New York State Congestion Surcharge of $2.50 (Yellow Taxi) or $2.75 (Green Taxi and FHV) or 75 cents (any shared ride) for all trips that begin, end or pass through Manhattan south of 96th Street.
  • Plus tips and any tolls.
  • The on-screen rate message should read "Rate #2- JFK Airport."
More info here: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/tlc/passengers/taxi-fare.page

This is probably your best bet.

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:12 pm

I don't see how a hotel + transportation to/from the hotel will ever be cheaper than a for-hire ride directly to JFK.

And finding a taxi out to JFK at that hour seems quite challenging.

I suggest arranging for a car service to pick you up (dial7.com offers a sedan to JFK for $54), or seriously consider whether you need to meet them at the airport at all.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Petdog
And finding a taxi out to JFK at that hour seems quite challenging.
The CURB app allows you to have a yellow or green cab sent directly to your location. You can also pay through the app.

If the OP sends me a PM, I can offer a referral link with a coupon (N.B., I would also benefit from this).

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
The CURB app allows you to have a yellow or green cab sent directly to your location
Have you tried it at 4 am recently? Asking earnestly.

I have the Curb app and, while I use it regularly to pay for cabs, I have not found it useful for requesting rides. Perhaps that feature has improved recently; I've given up and not tried in some time.

A car service ordered in advance seems comparatively priced and more reliable. YMMV.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Petdog
Have you tried it at 4 am recently? Asking earnestly.

I have the Curb app and, while I use it regularly to pay for cabs, I have not found it useful for requesting rides. Perhaps that feature has improved recently; I've given up and not tried in some time.

A car service ordered in advance seems comparatively priced and more reliable. YMMV.
I've never had issues with it. However you might be right, it may be more prudent to set up a car service in advance for the ride to the airport at least. Some car services offer a discount on round-trip bookings.

-J.
Petdog likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
The CURB app allows you to have a yellow or green cab sent directly to your location. You can also pay through the app.

If the OP sends me a PM, I can offer a referral link with a coupon (N.B., I would also benefit from this).

-J.
its funny, before even seeing the next few posts, I was thinking about using the CURB app. I will take the refferal link if so kind. Never used it before, but the flat fare plus toll and tip would be just a bit more then taking a taxi to Penn, then 7 dollars for me and spouse to ride LIRR, then 7 dollars again each for Airtrain. I'd rather pay a few bucks more to just get a front door to terminal ride...
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:32 am

Fellow up-towner here. Your best bet at that time of day (night) is CURB. As others mentioned, it's a flat rate to the airport. No point in staying at an airport hotel as 1) there aren't any that are convenient, nice, and you'll end up paying just as much as an expensive Uber...

The issue with the subway at that time is not so much that it's sketchy, but the time between trains is really drawn out you may have a long wait.
GW McLintock and _fx like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:47 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
You could head to Queens earlier when subway service is more frequent, and then hit the bars until 4am…

As others have mentioned, taking a cab will be cheaper than even the cheapest hotel. However, at that point, have you considered whether you need to meet them at all? For around the same cost as 2 cabs, you could arrange “meet and greet” sedan service — the driver holds a sign with their name on it at baggage claim, assists with luggage, shows them to the car, etc. You can pay and provide the flight info and destination in advance, so your family doesn’t need to have any money, speak English, figure out how to find the taxi stand, remember your address, worry about being scammed, etc…They just look for the guy holding a sign with their name on it. It’s all very easy. And you’d get a few extra hours of sleep, too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.