Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID‑19 RT‑PCR test in Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by stimpy
Some places are free for anyone, and others are free if you have local US health insurance. Some places can do PCR in less than 24 hours, some are 24-48h, and some take longer. But if Antigen tests are acceptable, those can give the results in 15-20 minutes.

Here is an example of a free for anyone place...

https://info.bloomlabs.co/free-covid-test-nyc

Thank you for this! Extremely helpful. It seems for Aruba it is a PCR test rather than LFT is accepted.
From Sherpa: Travelers are required to have a negative COVID-19 molecular (RT-PCR, PCR, NAAT, AMP PRB, LAMP, or TMA) test result in English, Dutch, or Spanish. The test must be a maximum of 3 days before departure of the last leg of the trip to Aruba. Travelers must upload their test, no later than 12 hours before departure, in their travel form.

We arrive JFK on 13 from UK, fly on 17 to Aruba so will try to get a test done on the 14th to cover the 3 days before dept. requirement.

Thank you for your help!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TPRun
We arrive JFK on 13 from UK, fly on 17 to Aruba so will try to get a test done on the 14th to cover the 3 days before dept. requirement.
If I had that itinerary, when I arrive at JFK I would walk over to the airline counter for whomever is flying me to Aruba and asking them for the current regs. Websites are not always accurate or up to date, but the local staff at the serving airline will know exactly what they will check at the airport.
TPRun likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:24 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had a PCR test at NYU Langone in Lake Success, NY (via my primary care physician), I took the test at 1 PM and had the results by 7 PM the same day..
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Due to a possible exposure I went to the NYC Health & Hospitals location in Red Hook, Brooklyn. It was run by a subcontractor called DocGo. They did a rapid test and a PCR test by double swabbing me.
Rapid results were on my phone in 20 min
PCR results took about 30 hrs.
They never asked for my insurance info or payment.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
The City's own public hospital system runs several testing locations across the City, most of which offer PCR (results may take longer than 24-30 hours these days) and rapid antigen testing at no cost. You don't have to be a resident to participate and insurance coverage is not a requirement.

https://www.nychealthandhospitals.or...testing-sites/
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would definitely avoid the LabWorq tents that have been popping up. Earlier this month we got results in just over 24 hours, but they haven't been able to keep pace with apparently skyrocketing testing volumes. They were advising 24-48 hours but it was about 80. Lots of complaints on social media about turnaround times.

The LabQ vans generally seem to be better (but longer lines! Though they move quickly). A few weeks ago results were back in ~12 hours, although now we're at about 32 hours and still waiting. They do PCR and rapid antigens, but it's the same Binax tests you can buy at the drugstore. Some countries seem to accept these, I suppose you get "official" results vs. a home test, but there are a lot of false negatives with these as they're not as sensitive as PCR.

CityMD is advising 3-5 days. My problem with CityMD was how long the visit took (it was like a full Dr visit), but I haven't tested there in about a year.
Northwell Health urgent care requires appointments, of which there were few.
ClearMD (a handful of locations) requires appointments, rare to find same-day but usually there are plenty of next-day. Regular PCR is free (24-48h) but they have faster options for $$, and also do Rapid antigen ($60).
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
As mentioned above, demand for testing in NYC has skyrocketed. Expect long lines at walk in sites and difficulty getting appointments. The walk in testing sites in my neighborhood wait times went from minutes to several hours this week. I have not heard about wait times for results.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by AMflier
As mentioned above, demand for testing in NYC has skyrocketed. Expect long lines at walk in sites and difficulty getting appointments. The walk in testing sites in my neighborhood wait times went from minutes to several hours this week. I have not heard about wait times for results.
I saw long lines last week both in mid-town and uptown, but only in the late morning and afternoon. The early bird gets the worm.

Another reason to go early is in the case you get an invalid result. Which is probably happening more often these days with the volume. If that happens, you can rush back over and get them to repeat the test.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I saw long lines last week both in mid-town and uptown, but only in the late morning and afternoon. The early bird gets the worm.
The longest lines by me at the LabQ vans were right when they opened. YMMV obviously.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 3:20 pm

IDK why people still go to CityMD, they are the most frustrating as they make you do a long sign up flow and then take your vitals before doing your actual test. It makes the whole process take a lot longer than it needs to be. And then you end up getting your test 4 days after, which is completely useless for travel purposes (and also just for general testing).

LabQ has been really great for me in the past, though there are long lines often in the midtown locations. The Chelsea one tends to be pretty empty though (14th St).

I've also used CTS Mobile Van recently this past Friday (they usually park near 5th Ave/42nd St) and it was <30mins with the PCR results coming in <24 hrs. They make everyone do both Rapid + PCR which is convenient and reassuring.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The longest lines by me at the LabQ vans were right when they opened. YMMV obviously.
I saw a LabQ van parked on 34th St on Friday with no wait, so I got myself swabbed (at no cost). They were advising a 48-hour turnaround, but it’s now past that mark (although not by much) and I don’t have my results. What has people’s recent experience with them been?

By the way, as most people in NYC know, by Saturday getting tested was much more difficult and generally required waiting in long lines. Even the home rapid tests were hard to find (although I found the CVS app very helpful on tracking some down).
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
I saw a LabQ van parked on 34th St on Friday with no wait, so I got myself swabbed (at no cost). They were advising a 48-hour turnaround, but it’s now past that mark (although not by much) and I don’t have my results. What has people’s recent experience with them been?

By the way, as most people in NYC know, by Saturday getting tested was much more difficult and generally required waiting in long lines. Even the home rapid tests were hard to find (although I found the CVS app very helpful on tracking some down).
LabQ is currently taking 4-5 days. They say they're trying to bring it down to 36 hours. The NYAG admonished them for continuing to say 24 hours when the turnaround time ballooned.

The home tests seemed to be well-stocked the last couple of days, at least in a Duane Reade by me.

I think things will quiet a bit in the coming days, everyone's over-testing given (1) COVID really has been spreading quickly and (2) people want to visit family for Xmas as safely as possible. #2 goes away any day though #1 is anyone's guess. Hopefully the spike is quick, like in South Africa.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
LabQ is currently taking 4-5 days. They say they're trying to bring it down to 36 hours. The NYAG admonished them for continuing to say 24 hours when the turnaround time ballooned.

The home tests seemed to be well-stocked the last couple of days, at least in a Duane Reade by me.

I think things will quiet a bit in the coming days, everyone's over-testing given (1) COVID really has been spreading quickly and (2) people want to visit family for Xmas as safely as possible. #2 goes away any day though #1 is anyone's guess. Hopefully the spike is quick, like in South Africa.
I got my Lab Q PCR results in 3 1/2 days. Antigen tests in an hour and a half.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Where can I get a PCR in T8 JFK? A relative is flying to DEL and their 72 hour PCR result has not come yet.

Anyone know what the procedure is? Are the testing sites at JFK able to get the result within a certain (short) time frame, or does one board and not know whether they tested negative or not till they arrive at the destination?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by knit-in
Where can I get a PCR in T8 JFK? A relative is flying to DEL and their 72 hour PCR result has not come yet.

Anyone know what the procedure is? Are the testing sites at JFK able to get the result within a certain (short) time frame, or does one board and not know whether they tested negative or not till they arrive at the destination?
No idea about testing at JFK. I’d be looking at the JFK website for starters.

But your relative won’t be getting on the plane without a negative test result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.