Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Weird JFK & LGA Google maps devoid of aircraft

Old Jun 2, 21, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador

Google maps is currently showing JFK without a single aircraft at a gate! In fact there are only a handful on the taxiways. LGA is also without aircraft. However EWR shows plenty of planes. Weird...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jo...!4d-73.7781391

JFK
Old Jun 2, 21, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Some airports are scrubbed and some are not. It has been like this for quite some time.
MarJon and dstan like this.
Old Jun 2, 21, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by nole1 View Post
Some airports are scrubbed and some are not. It has been like this for quite some time.
Never noticed that... Thanks. I wonder what the criteria is. Since JFK & EWR are both run by the Port Authority, it must be decided by a higher authority, maybe TSA?
Old Jun 2, 21, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarJon View Post
Never noticed that... Thanks. I wonder what the criteria is. Since JFK & EWR are both run by the Port Authority, it must be decided by a higher authority, maybe TSA?
You are probably right that it is a Port Authority thing. It seems like some kind of security theater that a back office employee threw out there to end a meeting on how to improve airport safety in the digital age.
Old Jun 2, 21, 11:36 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
I believe the Port Authority is combined within the NY and NJ. If you look at the website, LGA, JFK and EWR they are all listed along with Teterboro and Steward/Newburgh.
Old Jun 2, 21, 11:43 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nole1 View Post
You are probably right that it is a Port Authority thing. It seems like some kind of security theater that a back office employee threw out there to end a meeting on how to improve airport safety in the digital age.
It is entirely due to Google. They are removing non static objects like cars and aircraft. However, this is a process.

They likely have updated JFK and LGA thus far and not EWR yet.

​​​
Old Jun 2, 21, 1:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
As this is not related to any specific airline, it will move to the appropriate destination forum.

Thank you,

JDiver, Moderator
Old Jun 2, 21, 1:59 pm

So I just had to do it and look at EWR and there is only one NK plane. All the terminals and checked south airport for FX and north for 5X, nothing.
Old Jun 2, 21, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MarJon View Post
Since JFK & EWR are both run by the Port Authority, it must be decided by a higher authority, maybe TSA?
Since EWR has not been PSed, it would be better to assume PA is not on this. Also - if TSA could, all airports would be PSed as well. So it is definitely not TSA as well.

I would say this is a mystery.
MarJon and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 2, 21, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Older thread on this topic - Why are there no planes at JFK on Google Maps?
Old Jun 2, 21, 8:38 pm
Suspended

It's not just those airports, it's any airport really, Google has an algorithm where they remove moving objects like cars, so airplanes are taken away as well. Go to other airports like MSP or LAX, empty.
Old Jun 8, 21, 2:25 pm

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
So I just had to do it and look at EWR and there is only one NK plane. All the terminals and checked south airport for FX and north for 5X, nothing.
And that's not *really* a plane anyway

Search this Thread