Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 7:07 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Cuomo announced big revisions from 5/17 onward

(1)24 hour subway to resume 5/17
(2)theaters capacity limits removed as of 5/19, BUT 6 feet spacing must be observed, unless they stretch the walls isn't something amiss.
(3)Vaccinated people are factored into several items also announced today, but will patrons have to be armed with lots of documents to prove they are in compliance. [The previous quarantine for travelers arriving from out of state also fits into "his" well planned edicts.]
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
(1)24 hour subway to resume 5/17
(2)theaters capacity limits removed as of 5/19, BUT 6 feet spacing must be observed, unless they stretch the walls isn't something amiss.
(3)Vaccinated people are factored into several items also announced today, but will patrons have to be armed with lots of documents to prove they are in compliance. [The previous quarantine for travelers arriving from out of state also fits into "his" well planned edicts.]
No. Get the Excelsior Pass app on your phone.

New York State already has your vaxx info, so you install the app, answer a few questions to confirm your status, and you've got proof-of-vaccination, no documents required.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:44 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd

New York State already has your vaxx info, so you install the app, answer a few questions to confirm your status, and you've got proof-of-vaccination, no documents required.
I already have an EP, I'm more interested in issue (2).
How well "advertised" is the EP? Will tourists (and per the mayor, they are expecting lots of them) even know what an EP is?
Old May 4, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by nerd

Even with the EP you still need to show a picture ID with D.O.B.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by nrr
I already have an EP, I'm more interested in issue (2).
From the Governor's Press Release:
Starting May 10, the outdoor gathering limit will increase from 200 to 500 people. On May 19, the indoor gathering limit will increase from 100 to 250 people. Large-scale indoor venues can operate at 30 percent capacity starting May 19. Capacity can increase if all individuals are fully vaccinated or present proof of vaccination.Notably, the six-foot distance requirement does not apply if the establishment has a protocol in place to confirm a recent negative test or vaccination of visitors. For restaurants, the six-foot distance rule is also not needed if there are barriers separating guests. “Businesses will only be limited by the space available for patrons or parties of patrons to maintain the required social distance of 6 feet,” as the press release from Cuomo says

Originally Posted by nrr
I How well "advertised" is the EP? Will tourists (and per the mayor, they are expecting lots of them) even know what an EP is?
Not very well advertised plus the EP is only available to people who are in the NYS database so most tourists cannot get one.

There's a growing underground market in counterfeit vaccine cards so it will be interesting to see what is actually accepted moving forward.

Again, don't expect much on Broadway before September. It's going to take a lot of time to get most shows back up to speed.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AMflier
Even with the EP you still need to show a picture ID with D.O.B.
Right, the EP doesn't have your picture on it.
Old May 4, 2021, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Again, don't expect much on Broadway before September. It's going to take a lot of time to get most shows back up to speed.
Not to mention, who would go if a play opened this summer? Midtown needs to get a whole lot more people back before any theater will fill even half their seats.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
To get the EP, one must have at least one of the following:
- been fully vaccinated in NY State (14+ days after the final dose)
- received a Negative Covid PCR or antigen test result from a testing facility in NY State (within a certain timeframe, depending on type of test)

So, it is quite plausible that a non-resident/visitor could fly into JFK/LGA, get a PCR or antigen test at the airport, and upload the results to get an EP to use to access restaurants, museums, and other venues that adopt the EP.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:28 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
To get the EP, one must have at least one of the following:
- been fully vaccinated in NY State (14+ days after the final dose)
- received a Negative Covid PCR or antigen test result from a testing facility in NY State (within a certain timeframe, depending on type of test)

So, it is quite plausible that a non-resident/visitor could fly into JFK/LGA, get a PCR or antigen test at the airport, and upload the results to get an EP to use to access restaurants, museums, and other venues that adopt the EP.
Per the website there are 3 different passes:
"Anyone vaccinated or tested for COVID-19 in the State of New York is eligible for a Pass, and there are currently three different types of Passes: COVID-19 Vaccination Pass, COVID-19 PCR Test Pass and COVID-19 Antigen Test Pass."
I don't understand the usefulness of a PCR Pass, if I get tested today and receive a negative result but contract COVID (say) a week later my PCR Pass won't reflect my now current status.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
I don't understand the usefulness of a PCR Pass, if I get tested today and receive a negative result but contract COVID (say) a week later my PCR Pass won't reflect my now current status.
These passes have expiration dates. I would assume a PCR pass will have a rather short expiration date. Like just 3 days or maybe a week.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:24 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
These passes have expiration dates. I would assume a PCR pass will have a rather short expiration date. Like just 3 days or maybe a week.
Like melting ice--you have to use it FAST.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even the Vaccination Pass pass has an expiration date.

Mine has already expired (I was vaccinated in Dec/Jan) and it's simple to renew, but silly to have to do so.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:43 am

Not to mention, who would go if a play opened this summer? Midtown needs to get a whole lot more people back before any theater will fill even half their seats.
You'd be surprised. People are bored. Look at the lines to get into the museums. I'm guessing that there would be a decent audience for almost anything of quality. Unfortunately, the economics of a limited seating situation don't really work.

There will be a lot of outdoor performances. Bryant Park has announced its free summer season. Summerstage has announced part of it's season. The Shed is producing. Lincoln Center will be producing. There will be things (that's all I can say) happening at Governor's Island.
I haven't heard from River to River, Little Islands, or Celebrate Brooklyn as of this writing.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd be surprised. People are bored. Look at the lines to get into the museums. I'm guessing that there would be a decent audience for almost anything of quality. Unfortunately, the economics of a limited seating situation don't really work.

There will be a lot of outdoor performances. Bryant Park has announced its free summer season. Summerstage has announced part of it's season. The Shed is producing. Lincoln Center will be producing. There will be things (that's all I can say) happening at Governor's Island.
I haven't heard from River to River, Little Islands, or Celebrate Brooklyn as of this writing.
I agree with all that, but I was referring to the traditional theatres in the Broadway theatre district. Have you walked by those places lately?

I look forward to outdoor theatre this summer!
Old May 5, 2021, 11:11 pm

I agree with all that, but I was referring to the traditional theatres in the Broadway theatre district. Have you walked by those places lately?
There's actually been a fair amount of work doing upgrades and maintenance happening inside of those buildings. They are being readied for the return of audiences. It's possible that some shows open during the summer but there are a lot of moving parts that need to be figured out. Plus everyone needs to get their chops back to the level they were at when things were halted.

I'm more of an off or off-off Broadway person. I suspect that the more innovative groups will be producing indoors before Broadway opens. Some OB productions been performing outdoors or in alternate venues. i.e. En Garde Arts & Downtown Live are producing a free "immersive" show at Brookfield Place and LaMama is producing outdoor dance. There's a lot currently happening out if you look.

I look forward to outdoor theatre this summer!
I just heard that Shakespeare In The Park will be producing at least one show this season, The Merry Wives of Windsor . There may be a second production as well.

Take a look at the Bryant Park schedule and stop by. I'll be at most of the shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.