Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

FL to NY - which type of COVID test is required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if this has already been answered ad nauseum .....been researching for over an hour on here, CDC, NY health dept website, airline website to find an answer to a simple question. Am Florida resident flying to Ithaca next week on Delta; what type of Covid test is required? Antigen (finger prick), antibody (finger prick) or nose swab (PCR)? When answering pls link relevant website so I can download to my phone for purposes of citing the requirement to those who would question while I travel. Thank you.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Nothing is required while traveling within the US although you need to check the NY State website re quarantine and recommended post travel testing.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
I thought Alaska and Hawaii required tests 72h before departure, even on domestic flights.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Per Delta's website that is not true. According to the new guidelines any traveler to New York State from a noncontiguous state, US territory or CDC level 2 and higher country, could possibly reduce the quarantine by having a negative COVID-19 test result:
  • For travelers who were out-of-state for more than 24 hours:
    • Travelers must obtain a test within three days of departure from that state.
    • The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
    • On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID test. If both tests come back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test
When I click on the linked TRAVEL ADVISORY, it takes me to the NY Health Dept website, which leads to a linked READ THE DETAILED TRAVEL GUIDANCE, which is dated from November 3 last year, and states the requirements above. If this is no longer applicable, where is the updated information?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by reddawngrl
Per Delta's website that is not true. According to the new guidelines any traveler to New York State from a noncontiguous state, US territory or CDC level 2 and higher country, could possibly reduce the quarantine by having a negative COVID-19 test result:
    • On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID test. If both tests come back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test
When I click on the linked TRAVEL ADVISORY, it takes me to the NY Health Dept website, which leads to a linked READ THE DETAILED TRAVEL GUIDANCE, which is dated from November 3 last year, and states the requirements above. If this is no longer applicable, where is the updated information?
From posts I've see on the "net" pax are working on the "honor system" re covid testing before arrival and on day 4. In addition having a full dose of vaccine (within 90 days of arrival) exempts domestic travelers to NYS from quarantine.
They haven't updated their forms in a timely manner.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
If you have been vaccinated, you do not need a test, FYI: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...rcent-capacity
Also, Alaska has changed this requirement since it's state of emergency expired, too.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by reddawngrl
You are on the right website for NYS.

As previously posted, there's no guidance that I've seen, and none stated here: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory. I interpret that to mean a rapid test would suffice.

You could try contacting NYS DOH (details in the link above).

Airlines may have their own requirements.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:42 am

The NYS Department of Health updated it's travel guidelines to exempt travelers from quarantine if they've been vaccinated. No clarification on testing types: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/sy...-10-2021_0.pdf
GlobalMatt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.