Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to NYC from Newark during COVID

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Going to NYC from Newark during COVID

NYC just lifted travel ban for those who are vaccinated. It is cheaper to fly there via EWR, coming from IAH. Does anyone know if I can land in Newark and take a train/cab to nyc without quarantine? Seems like per New Jersey rules I need to quarantine but not for New York. Do I need to fly through LGA instead to avoid New Jersey altogether? Thanks!!
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:10 am
BLV

OMG .... no one cares. Just get into the taxi and go.
Gelato2005, pfreet and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by Gelato2005
NYC just lifted travel ban for those who are vaccinated. It is cheaper to fly there via EWR, coming from IAH. Does anyone know if I can land in Newark and take a train/cab to nyc without quarantine? Seems like per New Jersey rules I need to quarantine but not for New York. Do I need to fly through LGA instead to avoid New Jersey altogether? Thanks!!
You can fly to whatever airport is cheaper, no one asks you anything besides recommending you self quaratine
Gelato2005 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
NJ's quarantine recommendation is for those staying in NJ, unless coming from the neighboring states, and you'd be just transiting through NJ from the airport to NYC so you're ok.

This won't apply right now but for future readers the exemption for those who received both doses is only for he first 90 days from the second dose.
seawolf likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Shockingly, the correct answer is that you may lawfully do this and don't need to become a criminal who "probably won't get caught."
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Gelato2005
Seems like per New Jersey rules I need to quarantine but not for New York.
NJ advises inbound travelers to voluntarily quarantine under certain conditions. When you transit to NY, it's no longer NJ's concern, which is why NJ asks those groups to get informed about NY's policy.

NO ONE is going to stop you walking out of EWR. I travel in and out of EWR weekly.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
As others have said, you are transiting not staying in NJ. No need to quarantine in NJ.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:46 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
As others have said, you are transiting not staying in NJ. No need to quarantine in NJ.
And v.v.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
No issue deboarding or exiting airport.
You have three options from EWR to NYC
  • Direct bus (must look at schedule to see if time aligns with your arrival)
  • Train via NJ Transit
  • Ride/share or Uber which is very high price as you will be charged a toll which is $13.75-16.00
While there are other combinations on the above which can make it significantly cheaper to NYC (including PATH) but if you are unfamiliar it isn't worth your time to save $10.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
No issue deboarding or exiting airport.
You have three options from EWR to NYC
  • Direct bus (must look at schedule to see if time aligns with your arrival)
  • Train via NJ Transit
  • Ride/share or Uber which is very high price as you will be charged a toll which is $13.75-16.00
While there are other combinations on the above which can make it significantly cheaper to NYC (including PATH) but if you are unfamiliar it isn't worth your time to save $10.
Just wanted to add for Uber/Lyft, whatever tolls are already included in the quote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.