NY Quarantine - it's all changing!! [Test Out option as of Nov 4, 2020]

Old Oct 31, 20, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold

Updated 11/1:
NY's list of quarantine states is going away! No more "green" states. Instead, if you want to avoid the full 14-day quarantine, you will have to test 72 hours before flying in, then quarantine 3 days, then test again, then released if both tests are negative. So, for trips longer than 24 hours, you have to stay a minimum of 3 days in quarantine no matter what, and no matter where you are originating (unless it is CT/NJ/PA)

Official news release:
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...ndatory-14-day

Media reports:

https://apnews.com/article/travel-vi...8ba3c18136b389

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...olicy/2697913/

https://abc7ny.com/health/covid-ny-c...itors/7515634/

Last edited by ESpen36; Nov 1, 20 at 12:06 pm Reason: clarified info
Old Oct 31, 20, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Can't find the Order itself so have to rely on media reporting until that is posted. Always a bad thing.

But, if it is as reported, the testing scheme is an "opt out" from the 14-day quarantine. Meaning that nobody needs to change their plans. The 14-day quarantine is still in effect and if it applies to a given individual, they may elect not to go through the test + 3-day quarantine + 2nd test scheme and simply quarantine for the 14 days.

I stand to be corrected when the full Order is posted, but as I see it, it is likely a significant benefit for many and has no downside for the rest.
Old Oct 31, 20, 3:48 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Don’t you have to break quarantine on day 3 to take the test.???
Unless test results are returned rapidly dom’t you have to re-quarantine until they are received?
I think more details are needed.
Old Oct 31, 20, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

delete

Last edited by ESpen36; Nov 1, 20 at 12:02 pm Reason: I stand corrected.
Old Oct 31, 20, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
The really issue is the pre-arrival test. Cuomo said that it will be mandatory to test BEFORE travel to NY. What if somebody has a ticket to fly back, but simply cannot reasonably obtain a test before the flight to show the airline? (i.e. on a little Caribbean island that does not offer testing to visitors) Would they be denied boarding?

I'm all in favor of testing as a way of reducing the 14-day quarantine, but there has to be a reasonable way for travelers to meet the requirement.

Or maybe they will clarify that if you arrive without a test, you are subject to the full 14 days of quarantine (with no test-out option on day 4), but you WILL be allowed to board your flight and enter NY. That's what Hawaii has done.
Why is that different than Hawaii? People flying there either test or quarantine for 14 days and that is a huge incentive to find a place which will perform and provide a test result (quickly).

Yes, rapid testing ought to be universally available, but NY can't force some other place to do so.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Oct 31, 20, 5:22 pm

Here is the official announcement from the NYS website:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...ndatory-14-day
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Oct 31, 20, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
This is just not feasible. Trying to schedule a test and get results back within 72 hours is nearly impossible in many parts of this country. And there goes Thanksgiving travel, which maybe is the point. If I want to fly back to NYC on Sunday after Thanksgiving, would need to take a test Thursday or later and get the results back by Sunday. Yeah, not going to happen over the holiday weekend.

I'm all for precautions, have taken Covid seriously, always wear a mask, but this is making me mad. It essentially is shutting down NY state, even to its own residents. Not cool.
LETTERBOY and H8tofly like this.
Old Oct 31, 20, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
This is just not feasible. Trying to schedule a test and get results back within 72 hours is nearly impossible in many parts of this country. And there goes Thanksgiving travel, which maybe is the point. If I want to fly back to NYC on Sunday after Thanksgiving, would need to take a test Thursday or later and get the results back by Sunday. Yeah, not going to happen over the holiday weekend.

I'm all for precautions, have taken Covid seriously, always wear a mask, but this is making me mad. It essentially is shutting down NY state, even to its own residents. Not cool.

Exactly. The timing is just not feasible over a holiday weekend. Even if test sample could be collected on the Friday after Thanksgiving, there won't be any labs operating on Saturday or Sunday to do the processing for a PCR test.
Old Oct 31, 20, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

delete

Last edited by ESpen36; Nov 1, 20 at 12:02 pm Reason: I stand corrected.
Old Oct 31, 20, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
Fly via EWR. Problem solved.
Old Oct 31, 20, 7:53 pm

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
My question is, can and will this be enforced?
Auto Enthusiast and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 31, 20, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
My question is, can and will this be enforced?
It is a deterrent but itís not enforceable.
Auto Enthusiast and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 31, 20, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
This doesn't sound legal at all. States have the right to enforce quarantines within their borders, but they don't have the right to restrict their borders. If this is actually what the order says, I'm guessing there will be an almost immediate legal challenge.
justforfun and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 31, 20, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by zymm View Post
This doesn't sound legal at all. States have the right to enforce quarantines within their borders, but they don't have the right to restrict their borders. If this is actually what the order says, I'm guessing there will be an almost immediate legal challenge.
Cut & paste the challenges to Hawaii, Massachusetts & Maine "test out" rules. All dismissed.
Old Oct 31, 20, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Cut & paste the challenges to Hawaii, Massachusetts & Maine "test out" rules. All dismissed.
In all of those cases people had the option to enter and quarantine, so that falls under enforcing a quarantine within state borders. If this is actually written in such a way that they refuse entry without a recent test that's entirely different, that's a partial closure of borders.

ETA: I think the closest right now is Alaska, but they still allow entry without a test, you're just required to pay for a test on arrival and quarantine until results come back.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by zymm; Oct 31, 20 at 8:44 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: